coming soon to a center near you...ODS-E

pretzel_man

Do you stand behind the things you say here on BC? Great, post your actual name then, or would your bosses fire you for posting here. You posted in another thread that you never compromised your integrity, and you had me believing it, and I posted come back down the ladder and lead. Hold yourself accountable to these folks and let them know they have someone they can trust to work on things. It's been a long hard road for far too many of us to trust blindly. Why can't the company post about all these advances at the center level. Tell everyone, on the shop floor so to speak, whats happening with the current technology, what they can expect that technology to produce, how the technology can be abused and what signs they can look for to be sure it's not being abused, and lastly, who to contact if they suspect their management team of abusing the system. Then back that up with showing them that those abuseing the system will be held accountable(that famous walk of shame lifts morale so much).

The company can afford to send a manager in your position around the country explaining this system to the drivers that it's going to affect. Hell, I'm one of the hardest ones you would be able to sell this system on, and I almost believe it already.

Bob,

One more thing. The post of mine that you quoted was 1 1/2 years old.

I think I was pretty spot on with what I said was coming. Why it took corporate 1 1/2 years to finish it I don't know... I guess better late than never.

P-Man

upssup

If I am writing your paycheck, I should be able to find you throughout your day. If you do not like it find another job!

upssup

Thats odd considering we have to review everything you do before we can "sign" them. It is ironic that some drivers expend more effort to get out of working than the original job may have taken to do correctly.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
If I am writing your paycheck, I should be able to find you throughout your day. If you do not like it find another job!

The customer writes all of our checks. You are an employee just like a driver. The truck is still full of packages to deliver whether there is a supe running around with a pile of paper work or not.

Not so much a fuss, just a PIA. The technology tells them exactly what we have left, so why do I have to text that info to the center? It's just more needless paperwork for an already overworked OMS.
They can also use this information to punish you. If you have 50 stops left, but you tell them you have 70 stops left, they can nail you for dishonesty.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

If you are looking to "be able to find" me throughout the day, then you are center level. Nothing more than a glorified clerk. The extent of your involvement with paychecks ends when you remove the rubber band they're bound with. Does that chip on your shoulder come from the fact that they call you a manager yet prohibit you from making any real decisions? Is that what makes you write such arrogant, condescending statements? Maybe you should find another job that doesn't frustrate you so much.

And that's just the attitude that will keep you a sup the rest of your life as you anguish to your boss why you can't meet the numbers...the answer is simple: they wouldn't work for you..after reading your comments I wouldn't either.

browniehound

hi everyone-
not sure if anyone has posted this yet (and my apologies if someone has).
phoenix center has instituted new software (we just started using it yesterday.) in the center manager office that shows everyone in the office how many stops each route has left. as long as the driver is not running shag packages, the manager or (whoever looks at the screen) will be able to query each individual driver to see how far along they are on their particular route. not sure what all it shows, but i know for a fact it does show how many stops left. i was told that it only has a delay of 7 minutes at our center.
i'm not sure i agree with ups using such technology...

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but ODS-E is old technology. What comes next is Telematics, which shows everything you did all day. Seatbelt on, bulkhead door open, back first exception, idle time, harsh breaking, residential backs, backing speed, backing distance, speeding, etc. It can also be super-imposed on "Google Earth" to show you sitting at Taco Bell longer than you should have been. "Big Brother is really watching now.

That being said, it should not be a huge deal. Just do the job in the way that they ask and everyone will be fine. Its really that simple.

browniehound

hi everyone-
not sure if anyone has posted this yet (and my apologies if someone has).
phoenix center has instituted new software (we just started using it yesterday.) in the center manager office that shows everyone in the office how many stops each route has left. i'm not sure i agree with ups using such technology...

Why don't you agree with it? If it were your business, wouldn't it make sense to know all day long where each of your employees are while they are producing your product?

If you answer no to this question then you're either lying or being stupid. UPS is paying us to work. They have every right to monitor me for every second I'm on the clock. Any business owner would agree.

Now, if they were invading my privacy by tapping my phone or following me after work, then I would agree with you. However, thats just silly. UPS wouldn't waste its money or time on us lowly hourlies with that. Maybe if you were a canidate for CEO.

I don't know what all the fuss is about? Most of my fellow drivers don't care because they are honest and will do nothing different. Just follow the rules and there is nothing to worry about. How hard is that?

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but ODS-E is old technology. What comes next is Telematics, which shows everything you did all day. Seatbelt on, bulkhead door open, back first exception, idle time, harsh breaking, residential backs, backing speed, backing distance, speeding, etc. It can also be super-imposed on "Google Earth" to show you sitting at Taco Bell longer than you should have been. "Big Brother is really watching now.

That being said, it should not be a huge deal. Just do the job in the way that they ask and everyone will be fine. Its really that simple.
Does this mean I'll be getting a spanking new pkg car? Maybe it'll be one built within the past decade.:surprised:

browniehound

Does this mean I'll be getting a spanking new pkg car? Maybe it'll be one built within the past decade.:surprised:

No, you will not see new package cars. You will have "state of the art" technology with DIAD V and telematics, however you will bust your shoulder out because the UPS truck you are driving has no power-steering.

Seriously, how does this happen? Power-steering technology has been around since the 60's? GPS and Telematics technology has been around since 2006.

Why are the 1980's vehicles equiped with the telematics devices immediatly, but the power-steering function totally ignored?

How unproffesional do we look when we have to do a 3 or 4 point turn in a Cul-De-Sac that every other vehicle, from any other company does it without backing? On a summer day, families see us backing the vehicle and "pushing and pulling" the steering wheel with great difficulty. The first response I get from the waiting customer is "My goodness, you don't have any power-steering?"

Great image UPS! Just replace the fleet. Every other company has and it includes Joe landscaper. Just do it, you're only hurting our image with our decades old trucks.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
The first power steering patent was filed in 1902. Power steering appeared on the first production Chrysler in 1951. It appeared on our first center vehicle in 1995.