coming soon to a center near you...ODS-E

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

1989, I have to respectfully disagree with your portrayal of a flexible driver. Customers, especially the larger ones, appreciate and, yes, expect their delivery time to be approx. the same each and every day. I would say that I deliver most of my commercial stops +/- 30 minutes, usually less than that, with few exceptions from day to day. More and more commercial customers carry little or no inventory and use as their "just-in-time" inventory system and changes in delivery times can disrupt their operations.

Now, I do agree with you that drivers need to be flexible in order to better serve their customers, whether it be earlier delivery times, later pickup times, or whatever their needs may be.

I have also noticed, and I am sure that most of us have, that once you do a "favor" for a customer than it is no longer a favor and it will become something that they will expect. For example, you break off to deliver a pkg to a customer because they asked you for this "favor" the day before. Now they want all of their pkgs to be delivered earlier.

filiperuvian

20 yrs till retirment yay
As much as i distrust management, you gotta remember that we (package drivers) are paid pretty well for what we do. Well that's my opinion. So i think the company's gonna do whatever they can, and implement whatever tech they think will help in ensuring that they get what they pay for.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

As has been mentioned many times before, the advent of new technology will only affect those not following the methods. Do your job, do it the way that you were taught, and they could mount a camera on your forehead and you would still have nothing to worry about. It is really just that simple.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Harley,

That's exactly why they are putting this out. The centers I've worked with love it.

Everytime your DIAD delivers a stop, it tells the center. They know if packages are late, not in, etc. there should be no need for all the text messages so someone can know your status.

I saw a presentation on this and more is coming.

BTW, its called ODS-e, and it works in all centers including the non-PAS ones. Of course for those, they will only know what you've completed, not what's left to do.

P-Man

P-Man's first post.
What is the "more is coming"?

atatbl

and how is the misload element addressed? shock therapy?

I'll pass that idea along, unfortunately we might get some "flack" for implementing that due to the whole "human rights" section of our policy book. Regardless, when you have a misload and report it not only will it be known to you, but the package will be removed from the intended driver's EDD. Also, you will be able to download EDD regardless of location. Meaning, if you have a problem with your board or you need to refresh for any reason you will be able to do so on route. There a lot of perks to it that aren't worth spelling out right now. Let's see how it works for a few weeks first.

pretzel_man

P-Man's first post.
What is the "more is coming"?

I think its coming in a month or so... It doesn't help eliminate missorts. Only good management can do that (more on that in a second). As attabl said, if a package is left in the building or a missort is found on road it will send that info back to the center. It will also remove the misload from the appropriate drivers board.

It also allows pickups to be moved from driver to driver if needed. Looks like it does a good job of keeping EDD more accurate.

I think DIAD has some enhancements coming as well. I heard about some DVIR things and some changes to the screens to make them easier.

Since I mentioned misloads. I have been working with some centers and targeted misloads. Once again, the problem is solved by back to the basics education and follow up. About 70% of misloads have been reduced so far, which has meant many less miles and hours moving those misloads between drivers.

P-Man

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I have no problem with this technology. As far as I am concerned, they should have cameras in all the package cars, the only requirements being that the driver be aware of the camera and that management not have the ability to alter or edit whatever is recorded. It would be neat to be able to show the misloads, crappy load and traffic issues to the camera.
And oh, the funny YOUTUBE video's that will come from this.:wink2:

When this new system was explained to us, we were told about 2 primary goals of the system.

First, reduce text messages to drivers. Use this system to know the current status of service, stops, etc. and don't waste drivers (and OMS') time gathering this information.

Second, reduce the number of rejected ODS events. If the OMS can see where each driver is, what they've already completed, (and in PAS sites what they have left to do), they can make better decisions on which driver should service an on call pickup.

We are tracking these two elements, and so far, they are improving.

There were a few additional goals explained:
- Help the local sort know when drivers are returning and how much volume they have
- Better set up customer meets
- Better communicate to customers when a driver would service them

No one asked us to use this system to micromanage.

That being said, I'm certain that some center somewhere will use this system improperly.

I'm also certain that somewher, it will point out a driver doing something improper.

I believe that the vast majority of our drivers are good and honest. I also believe that the vast majority of our management is good and honest.

This is designed for that majority of people.

More is coming after this with the intent of only helping.

P-Man
OMS's making better decisions? Ha!!!

Upstate/West New York supplement states that in no event may employees displace other employees who have not completed their assignment. Feel free to argue this one out, but I have already made a case on this one. Once they send me out the door, I will be delivering all the boxes in back. If they do not want me out late, they can put less boxes in the TRUCK. Granted, if someone gets injured, passes out, or worse, that would be a different story. They can even the work out if they take the time to do their jobs as well as we do.
Interesting.

Hopefully they will also use this system to "weed out" the bad dispatch sups. Just hope that their replacements have been extensively trained in the proper use of PAS/EDD.
And maybe an area map or 2.

Pretty much the same information I got. We are trying to reduce our text messages by about 50%. Same for ODS rejects.

If this can happen, its better for the OMS and driver.

How much do you think a text message costs? If you add up the cellular communication cost, plus the drivers' time, its a lot.

If we can reduce from 9 per day to 4 or 5 times 60,000 drivers I think lots of benefits are produced.

P-Man
You would think that UPS would be on some sort of really inexpensive network or something. Free minutes, low prices, etc...

A simple fact that often gets overlooked....is that we are not paid to deliver packages, we are paid to pick them up. The "bean counters" number one priority will ALWAYS be to make service on the pickups, because that is where the revenue comes from.
We dispatch about 200 routes out of a building that was theoretically designed for 120 routes and was not even adequate for that. I.E. will NOT enlarge the building as long as it is capable of unloading and sorting the pickup volume it brings in. As far as the delivery end of things? Tough *****e, they will continue putting up tents and jury-rigging MDU's and temporary load platforms, out in the rain if necessary, to get the cars loaded for delivery. Pickups are all that matter.
Thought provoking.

Granted without the consignee there would not be a shipper. It is not feasible to deliver every stop at the same time everyday. You must be flexible as a driver.

If you expect to be at all your businesses at the same time everyday you lose that flexibility and the customer will suffer. A flexible driver will serve the customer with few exceptions. All I am saying is if you work smart the customer will be taken care of.
Since when is flexibility 11am one day and 2pm the next? C'mon already, this can be fixed for both sides of the equation.

I'll pass that idea along, unfortunately we might get some "flack" for implementing that due to the whole "human rights" section of our policy book. Regardless, when you have a misload and report it not only will it be known to you, but the package will be removed from the intended driver's EDD. Also, you will be able to download EDD regardless of location. Meaning, if you have a problem with your board or you need to refresh for any reason you will be able to do so on route. There a lot of perks to it that aren't worth spelling out right now. Let's see how it works for a few weeks first.
Suppose the misload has not been scanned but is just slapped with a bad label? Will MGMT still tell you to just bring it back to the center and slide it under the carpet? Not that the "wonderful" MGMT in my center would ever do such a thing.

Another thing is, the driver next to me frequently gets misloads for me and I for him. He will message the center that he's leaving the pkg/s in his TP60 for me and I will message the center telling them I have left pkg/s for him in his TP60 as well. We have the same keys for our TP60's for this purpose. How will the ODS messages stop in this case. We have at least 1 misload for each other each day.

M

Mike23

Is it just me or are all good intentions paved on the road to hell? I would like to think, whoever made this software, their intention was, 'hey, this way management KNOWS who will be in trouble and can get them help sooner'. Instead, I fear like many of you, that it will be used to micromanage the people that DO have 8 hours of work to have them stay out for 10-11 hours helping the same slackers every night.

Good in theory, bad when you don't put any leash on it and let it run rampant with power...kind of like management.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
my center has a great way to remove misloads from drivers, me.
All day long that is what my "work as directed " function is.
Honestly after a while it becomes quite boring.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
ODS-e = Super-VISION In my center we call it blank TV. You can just insert your supervisor's name into the blank. Whenever I get the you have so many stops off let's do it for the team message, I send back, I hope you're enjoying your Popcorn as you sit there and watch your little TV. Now be a good boy and change the channel or else I'm gonna start using the parental controls.:happy2:

happybob

Feeders
When this new system was explained to us, we were told about 2 primary goals of the system.

First, reduce text messages to drivers. Use this system to know the current status of service, stops, etc. and don't waste drivers (and OMS') time gathering this information.

Second, reduce the number of rejected ODS events. If the OMS can see where each driver is, what they've already completed, (and in PAS sites what they have left to do), they can make better decisions on which driver should service an on call pickup.

We are tracking these two elements, and so far, they are improving.

There were a few additional goals explained:
- Help the local sort know when drivers are returning and how much volume they have
- Better set up customer meets
- Better communicate to customers when a driver would service them

No one asked us to use this system to micromanage.

That being said, I'm certain that some center somewhere will use this system improperly.

I'm also certain that somewher, it will point out a driver doing something improper.

I believe that the vast majority of our drivers are good and honest. I also believe that the vast majority of our management is good and honest.

This is designed for that majority of people.

More is coming after this with the intent of only helping.

P-Man

Answer this for me p-man. This system sounds like it will be able to replace/take away the human IE decision to cut routes and make it a computer one. We all know too well that all too often the I.E. folks, without actual on road/center experiance, can't make the correct dispatch decisions. Please tell me I'm right. Please tell me that we are nearing the technological breakthrough that so many drivers have been looking for. Elmination of the I.E. route slashers that make a drivers day miserable. It can only get better with that kind of technology.

happybob

Feeders
Trpl:

There is nothing I could say but to repost what I wrote.

I attended the meetings and heard about this system for years. The message was the same from the beginning.

You seem to believe what you want regardless of what I say.

I appreciate you not saying that you think I'm lying. Instead you say that there is some hidden agenda that I'm not aware of.

I talk with my boss every day. I regularly talk with the corporate guys that work on these systems and on occaision, I've been in meetings discussing what things the business needs from technology. If these people have a hidden agenda, they deserve an oscar because they're not letting that on.

BTW, here is what's coming:
- They will update your EDD manifest while you're on road. If another driver scans a package that EDD thinks is on your car, they will take it out of your EDD. The same would happen if the package is found as left in building.
- They will also update your manifest if a customer asks for an intercept but you've already left the building.

In addition, a different system is being tested (and mentioned in another thread) that will monitor your safety and on road decisions. There is no question that that one is designed to look for safety concerns and excess miles (like going off area). Its being tested with 1500 drivers now.

Now you have more information. Its the same information I have. You can choose to use it or ignore it. That's your call.

P-Man
Do you stand behind the things you say here on BC? Great, post your actual name then, or would your bosses fire you for posting here. You posted in another thread that you never compromised your integrity, and you had me believing it, and I posted come back down the ladder and lead. Hold yourself accountable to these folks and let them know they have someone they can trust to work on things. It's been a long hard road for far too many of us to trust blindly. Why can't the company post about all these advances at the center level. Tell everyone, on the shop floor so to speak, whats happening with the current technology, what they can expect that technology to produce, how the technology can be abused and what signs they can look for to be sure it's not being abused, and lastly, who to contact if they suspect their management team of abusing the system. Then back that up with showing them that those abuseing the system will be held accountable(that famous walk of shame lifts morale so much).

The company can afford to send a manager in your position around the country explaining this system to the drivers that it's going to affect. Hell, I'm one of the hardest ones you would be able to sell this system on, and I almost believe it already.

satellitedriver

Great.............. does this mean that I won't get the annoying " How many stops have you run, how many left, and what is your ETA to the building" message everyday?

We don't have pas/edd in our center either so I guess I don't have to worry about it. I was told at one time that we would never have it in our little satellite center of 7 drivers.
I am a one man satellite center , yes you will have to put up with it.
There is no escape.:peaceful:

brownrodster

Hi Dude:

Are you doing ETA for anything other than on call pickups? If so, everyone has to do that. I guess its so the customer can see it for the on call events.

Our center does it so that they know who is going to be out to 10-11 PM and send all those drivers done at 430 out to help them.

And also so they can call all the will call customers and tell them when they can come in and pick up their package.

brownracer

On Demand Service enhanced (ODSe) has been deployed for several years. It can be used whether the center is using EDD/PAS or not.

The center teams are currently being trained on the new features within ODSe as part of the latest DIAD upgrade. This is the other part of the Misload Communication and dynamic EDD feature. When you send a misload communication to the center, or the center has late airs or left in buildings, the center can send the EDD data to the driver, or move the data between drivers.

This is a major enhancement that has been well received as it eliminates long text messages, phone calls, loss of service, etc.

brownracer

As a clarification to a previous post, it is correct that the onroad updated Delivery Intercepts are now being sent to drivers; however, this does not require any intervention by the center and is not part of ODSe. It happens automatically behind the scenes.

pretzel_man

Do you stand behind the things you say here on BC? Great, post your actual name then, or would your bosses fire you for posting here. You posted in another thread that you never compromised your integrity, and you had me believing it, and I posted come back down the ladder and lead. Hold yourself accountable to these folks and let them know they have someone they can trust to work on things. It's been a long hard road for far too many of us to trust blindly. Why can't the company post about all these advances at the center level. Tell everyone, on the shop floor so to speak, whats happening with the current technology, what they can expect that technology to produce, how the technology can be abused and what signs they can look for to be sure it's not being abused, and lastly, who to contact if they suspect their management team of abusing the system. Then back that up with showing them that those abuseing the system will be held accountable(that famous walk of shame lifts morale so much).

The company can afford to send a manager in your position around the country explaining this system to the drivers that it's going to affect. Hell, I'm one of the hardest ones you would be able to sell this system on, and I almost believe it already.

Bob,

First, I stand by my statement that I have NEVER compromised my integrity. Admittedly, I have thought about it many times. There were many times that it would have been easier to just fudge a number or not relay important information I had. I always believed that you can't fix something you hide, and I teach that to my people. I've never had a boss that thought otherwise.

Next.... Do I think my boss would like everything I post here? No... Am I afraid of being fired if he knew? Absolutely not. That being said, I'm not going to post my name. I'm not afraid of any consequences, but I do not think its necessary or important. I have people reporting to me, and I don't want them to worry about what they may post if they knew I'm here too.

I post what I believe. People can choose to believe me or not. I have no hidden agenda or personal gain.

Finally.... I'm in centers a significant amount of time. Mostly working with the management team, but I talk with drivers a lot. UPS has a "train the trainer" approach. I teach people, and they teach others. There is no question that the message can get diluted this way, but that happens everywhere...

People send me privat messages all the time. I am happy to respond to them. Feel free if you have questions or concerns.

P-Man

P.S. I know you asked another question in a different post. I need to think about it a little...