Completly disgusted!!!

New Englander

First of all stop the crying. You have not been driving long enough to start doing that.

If it's known that the regular driver comes in early to set up his truck tell your supervisor to either fix the load with the preloaders or your going to sit there and resort those entire sections on the clock prior to leaving.

Or get the support of them and if the college is using 1 generic delivery address but saying "well that really goes some where else." Tell them tough crap. When the regular driver gets back it'll go that way. You don't have time to redeliver everything. If it's addressed here it goes here.

New Englander

As to missing the scans......if it's not coming back to the center as a misload.
You may well be just not scanning them. Especially if the center follows up and the consignee has the package.

backinbrown

respect my authority
Yeah I definitely see what you are saying. When I started it just so happened that drivers in my loop did not like to del misloads. So they buried them. So I "missed scans" according to reports. It was about 2-3 a day. I just wrote them down. My center manager never thought twice about it being MY integrity issue. So he was fine with me just doing that.

It really pissed me off one day when I had a package with no service cross on it, an old pal, and it not in my edd. I called my center manager asked him to grab the missed scan report and we found that tracking number on there.

Needless to say, they are very serious about PM quality audits in our center now.
have to look out for yourself we should be looking out for each other and for the most part we do but there are a few who screw there fellow teamster to avoid doing the job correctly, its to bad, its getting harder to get the newbies to not fall for the the threats of sups,

To newbies out there you need to support your union and not worry bout retaliation from sups, if you run your lunch and breaks and run all day so you look good to your sups all that will happen is you get more work, im not saying slack im saying do what you can do with out breaking rules of contract SUPERVISORS CAN BITCH BUT THATS IT, again the numbers are there problem the more you cut corners to try to look like a superstar the less chance we get to hire more drivers and put in more routes.

Your supervisors will come and go you will see but the union will have your back Support your local go to meetings. do not give in to the threats stand strong dont argue just due your job and take your breaks and be safe again ONE STOP AT A TIME
the most important pkg del is yourself home evry night.

When you cover someone elses route remeber thats not your route so dont go running it up on him or her, doesnt just make you look good but makes your fellow teamster look bad.

Didnt mean to rant but we are loosing newbies to management they are to worried about looking bad.

backinbrown

respect my authority
First of all stop the crying. You have not been driving long enough to start doing that.

If it's known that the regular driver comes in early to set up his truck tell your supervisor to either fix the load with the preloaders or your going to sit there and resort those entire sections on the clock prior to leaving.

Or get the support of them and if the college is using 1 generic delivery address but saying "well that really goes some where else." Tell them tough crap. When the regular driver gets back it'll go that way. You don't have time to redeliver everything. If it's addressed here it goes here.
I agree del to the address let them get it to certain department not your problem, good advise new englander.

New Englander

If the college doesn't want to understand a new driver being there. If your at the correct address and they won't take it because it's supposed to go elsewhere sheet it as NSP/NSC tell them it will get delivered as soon as ECS can verify the correct address and charge them for an address correction.

Cobra Agent

Mandalorian
First of all i am not crying looking for advice and help! Now with that being said Each college is addressed to a seperate address. However the spa label has the same address for each college.

ex.

spa label will say: 6823 Saint Charles
College Town

the label on package will say

Biomedical Services
building 200 suit 300

The entire college has the same address, but it will rarely will have the acutal building name on the label just numbers. Of course if it doesnt have suit or building or any sort nsn and bring it back. It is just such a pain, The reg driver just looks at the name on package and knows building and room (20+ years kinda gives you an advantage)

J

JonFrum

If the regular driver is coming in early and working off the clock, he is violating The Contract and Labor Law.

You can either stop him from doing this, or you can start coming in early yourself and make some overtime, while making your day go better.

Article 17 --- Paid for Time
All employees covered by this Agreement shall be paid for all time spent in service of the Employer. Rates of pay provided for by this Agreement shall be minimums. Time shall be computed from the time that the employee is ordered to report for work and registers in and until the employee is effectively released from duty. All time lost due to delays as a result of overloads or certificate violations involving federal, state or city regulations, which occur through no fault of the driver, shall be paid for by the Employer.

The Employer will not allow employees to work prior to their start time without appropriate compensation.
http://www.teamster.org/divisions/parcel/2008UPSagreementandsupplements.htm

Notice that it's the Employer's responsibility to prevent employees from working off the clock, though the Steward should be informed and take action as well.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Can we assume that there is not a central delivery point (warehouse) for this college and that you have to deliver each pkg to the bldg that it is addressed to? Wow, I do feel for you. I generally deliver 75-150 pkgs to the college on my area in about 30-40 minutes. This includes stops at the warehouse, bookstore, library and food services with pickups at the library and bookstore. I don't even want to guess how long this would take if I had to deliver each pkg to the bldg that it is addressed to.

Cobra Agent

Mandalorian
yea it sucks, not only every building but each individual room that has a delivery for that day. I only have 3 more weeks and learn more about the rt each day, I wish i could have talked to the driver before he went on vacation. The sup who trained me had one day of training himself on this rt, then gave me a day and a half worth of training and threw me to the wolves.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Step 1; accept the reality that you will not be able to do the route as quickly as a 20-year veteran who sorts off of the clock.

Step 2; Inform your management...in writing...of the problems you are having with the load, the SPA labels etc.

Step 3; pick and maintain a safe work pace. Do the job to the best of your ability, safely and according to the methods.

Once you have informed your management of a problem...it is no longer your problem it is their problem. You need to learn to detach and not stress yourself out over problems that are not yours. If they want to fix the problems you have informed them of, they will. If not, the service failures can simply pile up until they make adjustments to the dispatch or until the regular driver returns from vacation. Either way, the outcome is not your responsibility.

Your management team has the ability to solve these problems. What they may not have...is the motivation. By refusing to do the impossible, you will help to provide them with the motivation they need to do the right thing.

atatbl

If the college doesn't want to understand a new driver being there. If your at the correct address and they won't take it because it's supposed to go elsewhere sheet it as NSP/NSC tell them it will get delivered as soon as ECS can verify the correct address and charge them for an address correction.

Kind of a hardball approach but it might work.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I am a new fulltime driver and am just disgusted and overwhelmed!
You have been PUNKED.

See the post A FUNNY THING I DID! LOL

I have been driving for 20+ years so I need to keep myself entertained by thinking outside of the box sometimes.

The route I deliver has three colleges on it. Since I am a genius I take my month of vacation all right now (so I don't have to deal with all the back to school mess).

Anyways, I usually come in 10 minutes early and sort out some of my truck. I tell everyone I was there for an hour (just another way to keep myself amused). You should see the look on the other driver's faces when I tell them that.

Knowing I would be on vacation for a month I wanted to give a newer driver an opportunity to learn through the "hard knocks." So I went to the preload sup and told them it would be easier for me to deliver if they just paled ALL of my my college deliveries in the 1300 section. Being a preload sup, she believed me and didn't even question it. So they moved everything from the floors 1,2,3,4, 2000, and 3000 section to 1300.

I know my customers really well and they love me! Usually I just drop of all the packages for a college in one spot. But I told them to help me out with this prank by only receiving what goes to their building!

My wife works during the week and could not get vacation during this month. So I am pretty bored. This past week has been entertaining though. After I get my fill of interweb movies (if you know what I mean) I go to the college and sit in my car and watch the driver that is covering my route.

He is learning SO much! I really think I am helping the company out here! He will be SUCH a GREAT driver by the time this month is over! I think we should all start this way! It's a win/win for everyone!

atatbl

I'm sorry Cobra Agent... I couldn't resist. I hope you take no offense.

ImSorry.jpg

cino321

Not for nothing, but 350+ pieces, 130 stops, and you are in by 9PM, sounds like you are doing a great job to me.

paidslave

I am a new fulltime driver and am just disgusted and overwhelmed! I passed my 30 day probations period running 20.1 sphors 165-170 stops. Last mon they moved me to a route that has a driver that has been on it for 20+ years. This driver is real smart knowing that he has 3 colleges on his route he takes a month vacation this time every year due to the fact that students are coming back to school.

I enter the truck monday and 1000-3000, fl1, fl2, fl3 are all spad to the 1300 section. All 3 colleges are spad to the same number nothing is in order, no departments or buildings are seperated it is all just thrown on the shelves. So not only do i have to sort through it have to try to figure out what stops go to togheter and what buildings, room and departments they go to. I am having to make 2-3 deliverys per building because i keep missing packages. This is completly screwed up, i have been ave 315 pieces 130 stops and getting in around 900 oclock every night. Yes i have been taking my hour lunch and calling for help. The driver that is on vacation came in an hour early to set his truck up (which is something i am not going to do), I am not a freakin :censored2:, but they might as well just pull all the lables off the packages and tell me to go deliver them. I have been on the rt for a week and have 3 more weeks before he comes back from vacation, I know this route will get easier, Is anyone out there in my situation, and how do you handle deliveries like this.

This sounds like your driver!

I have been driving for 20+ years so I need to keep myself entertained by thinking outside of the box sometimes.

The route I deliver has three colleges on it. Since I am a genius I take my month of vacation all right now (so I don't have to deal with all the back to school mess).

Anyways, I usually come in 10 minutes early and sort out some of my truck. I tell everyone I was there for an hour (just another way to keep myself amused). You should see the look on the other driver's faces when I tell them that.

Knowing I would be on vacation for a month I wanted to give a newer driver an opportunity to learn through the "hard knocks." So I went to the preload sup and told them it would be easier for me to deliver if they just paled ALL of my my college deliveries in the 1300 section. Being a preload sup, she believed me and didn't even question it. So they moved everything from the floors 1,2,3,4, 2000, and 3000 section to 1300.

I know my customers really well and they love me! Usually I just drop of all the packages for a college in one spot. But I told them to help me out with this prank by only receiving what goes to their building!

My wife works during the week and could not get vacation during this month. So I am pretty bored. This past week has been entertaining though. After I get my fill of interweb movies (if you know what I mean) I go to the college and sit in my car and watch the driver that is covering my route.

He is learning SO much! I really think I am helping the company out here! He will be SUCH a GREAT driver by the time this month is over! I think we should all start this way! It's a win/win for everyone!

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Is anyone out there in my situation, and how do you handle deliveries like this.

Welcome to your new life. You "handle" it by the hour. If they put you in a good position you will enjoy good results. If they put you in a bad position you will suffer poor results and make a lot more money. Make to much money and you'll find yourself in a better position.

With UPS the bottom line is always the bottom line. The trick is making them want what you want. This is influenced by the bottom line.

Remember this job is a marathon not a sprint.

55andout?

He can also show his center manager the pkgs left in EDD before he punches out without having to write them down. You are right about other drivers burying misloads in their pickups or even in their forever bags but it would be hard to bury 10-15 misloads. Our center now does random check in audits as this had become a problem in our center. This has greatly reduced the number of missing scans and increased driver accountability.
I might get in trouble for saying this but the rookie is not getting in until 9 p.m. If his center manager is anywhere near his center its only cause he lives close by.

tieguy

Banned
If the regular driver is coming in early and working off the clock, he is violating The Contract and Labor Law.

You can either stop him from doing this, or you can start coming in early yourself and make some overtime, while making your day go better.

http://www.teamster.org/divisions/parcel/2008UPSagreementandsupplements.htm

Notice that it's the Employer's responsibility to prevent employees from working off the clock, though the Steward should be informed and take action as well.

Management make sure you fire anyone starting early that you recieve a grievance on since the grievance now turns the early start into a stealing time scenario.

leastbest

LeastBest
I have seven schools and a board of education on my route that I've been on for 29 years. I take off August every year and let the youngsters deliver the hundreds of boxes of books in the heat. It's good for them.

Maybe this kind of hard work will teach them to take their breaks.

Randy
www.leastbest.com