Completly disgusted!!!

atatbl

I have seven schools and a board of education on my route that I've been on for 29 years. I take off August every year and let the youngsters deliver the hundreds of boxes of books in the heat. It's good for them.

Maybe this kind of hard work will teach them to take their breaks.

Randy

Exactly! That's why I did this:

Funny thing I did

New Englander

First of all i am not crying looking for advice and help! Now with that being said Each college is addressed to a seperate address. However the spa label has the same address for each college.

ex.

spa label will say: 6823 Saint Charles
College Town

the label on package will say

Biomedical Services
building 200 suit 300

The entire college has the same address, but it will rarely will have the acutal building name on the label just numbers. Of course if it doesnt have suit or building or any sort nsn and bring it back. It is just such a pain, The reg driver just looks at the name on package and knows building and room (20+ years kinda gives you an advantage)

Then I would suggest you get the consignee names assigned to EDD. What kind of advice do you need. It's pretty easy slow down so your not redelivering multiple times. Makes no sense to hump them off quickly then just waste time going back 2 to 3 times per building.

J

JonFrum

Management make sure you fire anyone starting early that you recieve a grievance on since the grievance now turns the early start into a stealing time scenario.

Can anyone, (preferably other than Tieguy,) explain to me how a driver working for free with the Company's knowledge, constitutes "stealing time?"

I thought I made it clear that it is the employer's responsibility to pay drivers who work, early or otherwise. Either the employer puts a stop to the early work, by directing the worker to stop, or the employer allows the worker to continue working and pays him time-and-one-half for his early efforts. If a grievance is necessary, it is filed against the employer for non-payment of wages.

Isn't it amazing that both the Teamsters and UPS claim to have been in business over a century, and yet so many simple things are still messed up. I would have thought a normal union and a normal employer would have worked out these work rules during the first few weeks of their relationship.

New Englander

Jon.

Tie is in my opinion stating that if you guys file for people coming in early to sort. Thus forcing the company to pay them.....they are now essentially stealing time for working before their scheduled start with out permission from management.

It was tongue in cheek to your reply.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Mgt has been directed to discipline drivers who come in early to sort their pkg cars. We are allowed only to place our personal belongings, our DIAD and work-related equipment in the pkg car and to fill out the DVIR prior to start time.

What'dyabringmetoday???

Mgt has been directed to discipline drivers who come in early to sort their pkg cars. We are allowed only to place our personal belongings, our DIAD and work-related equipment in the pkg car and to fill out the DVIR prior to start time.
Never understood why people would come in and hour early, work for free, and try to get done early. Might better spend your time at home when you are fresh rather than after you have beaten your body all day. This is an OPINION.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member

Safety was what management told the off the clock sorters in our building to get them out of the car. A new preload sup also told them if they would tell him the problem he'd try to get the preload to do better. If the driver was fixing it when he was off the cover driver would be screwed!

bellesotico

BOXstar
I would just like to mention that if a driver comes in and sorts while we are still loading there is a good possibility a)what is sorted will get unsorted and b)the driver will get in the way.

I don't know about all preloaders, but I know that I am constantly adjusting the load throughout the shift to account for any add/cuts or for "surprises". These changes allow me to keep the center aisle clear...large bulk runs to the rear of the car..50 pounders off the top shelf..etc...ya know? Also..there is barely enough room for me (and I'm pretty little) and 300 pkgs..but add one more person and it gets a bit crowded. We understand drivers get 0 sort time..and trust me I do everything I can to help buy my drivers extra time and reduce the need to sort. But I didn't do it on my own. I asked my drivers what I could do to help them. And if something I was doing didn't work all that great for them...they would let me know what might work better.

So anyways..."Completely disgusted"...may I suggest that you have a chat with your preloader and perhaps do it with a bottled water or gatorade in hand..:) Ask them nicely if they would keeping your stops together. If you have the same loader..it shouldn't be that hard for them to do that. A quick glance at the label. A little incentive might help out and save you a lot of time as well.

Just a suggestion.

:)

Last edited:

PassYouBy

Unknown Acrobat
First of all i am not crying looking for advice and help! Now with that being said Each college is addressed to a seperate address. However the spa label has the same address for each college.

ex.

spa label will say: 6823 Saint Charles
College Town

the label on package will say

Biomedical Services
building 200 suit 300

The entire college has the same address, but it will rarely will have the acutal building name on the label just numbers. Of course if it doesnt have suit or building or any sort nsn and bring it back. It is just such a pain, The reg driver just looks at the name on package and knows building and room (20+ years kinda gives you an advantage)

Your lucky to even get an address... When I deliver the college route here "most" of the packages have only the name of the person it is going too. (No PAS here yet..In the middle of them implementing here). The only thing I go by is a directory book that I got at the college of ALL the personnel on the campus. (It has their name, what building they work in and what office/room).
This does slow me down, but I get paid by the hour, and I'm only a cover driver that only gets to drive 3-4 days a week. (So you can bet your @$$ that I'm gonna milk the route for all it has!!).
Cobra, maybe the next time you go on this route, go by the Administration office and ask if the have a directory that you may have.
Other than that I don't know what to tell you. Just keep your head up and don't get discouraged and it will all fall in place and you'll wonder why the H#LL you stressed over something you have no control over. Like some of the seasoned drivers tell me sometimes, " One Stop At A Time!" Best advice I was ever given!

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Yes, im a pre loader 6 months in and I already understand the car moreso.

Have you ever pre-loaded a car before? Well, silly questions really on my part, I find most people have no idea how the car works. And this being people who have worked for UPS for years.

Your panel does most of the setting up, you just have to do the real dirt work. Make a section vanish, then use the empty space to set up your next set of routes. Hopefully, you got a decent preloader that understands the count in the car, and loads it towards the forecast. Otherwise, they are just putting in boxes without the pass system.

But really now, they will see you taking this route too hard and cut the number. Besides, resends arnt too bad, it will get there sooner or later. And that just leaves practice, yes thats all. Pre-loading took me about 2 months to fully catch on all around. Rome wasnt built in a day, it took time.

New Englander

Your lucky to even get an address... When I deliver the college route here "most" of the packages have only the name of the person it is going too. (No PAS here yet..In the middle of them implementing here). The only thing I go by is a directory book that I got at the college of ALL the personnel on the campus. (It has their name, what building they work in and what office/room).
This does slow me down, but I get paid by the hour, and I'm only a cover driver that only gets to drive 3-4 days a week. (So you can bet your @$$ that I'm gonna milk the route for all it has!!).
Cobra, maybe the next time you go on this route, go by the Administration office and ask if the have a directory that you may have.
Other than that I don't know what to tell you. Just keep your head up and don't get discouraged and it will all fall in place and you'll wonder why the H#LL you stressed over something you have no control over. Like some of the seasoned drivers tell me sometimes, " One Stop At A Time!" Best advice I was ever given!

No...don't steal time by being a slob and "milking" it. I've no respect for people like this.

backinbrown

respect my authority
Sort on the clock its not stealing time or milking anything it helps you have smooth stops and ensures proper methods grab and go.