Connecting doubles the ups way

BusterBrown31

So tomorrow is my final day with the SUP...I've never hooked doubles before this..this is all new to me. I am asking for advice from you fellow drivers what is the best procedure to hook up doubles THE UPS WAY.
My routine:
1. Find a dolly pretrip it make sure fhwa sticker is current check if paper work is there and tires are in good shape check airlines and electrical line for cuts or frays.
2. If everything checks out then position my tractor to hook it up. Before exiting the truck turn 4 ways on and pull trailer service brake lever down.. Grab the chains and set them down under dolly, remove cotter pin from pindle hook, open pindle hook latch, lift dolley and push it not pull and set it in my pindle hook close the latch insert cotter pin and connect lights, then connect the chains hooks up and clips up then drain the air if not already done by previous driver then check that lights are working.
3. Proceed to my lighter trailer position dolly in front of trailer get out check level. Open pindle hook latch remove light cord remove chains and set them under dolly. Lift dolly and set it on the ground check the level again.
4. Proceed to my heavier trailer and position it in front of my dolly pull trailer service brake lever down and press red valve in get out and open pindle hook latch and set dolly on pindle hook behind lead trailer lock pindle hook latch and connect lights airlines and last chains in a crossing pattern hooks up and clips up. (Check level again)
5. Get back in the truck and proceed backing up under rear trailer. Get out check coupling if King pin is locked and check side windows on side of Dooley fifth wheel to ensure proper coupling then connect air lines on rear trailer and lights then go to lead trailer and turn the blue valve on first then red valve and activate snubber. Raise landing gear.

That's my procedure am I missing something or am I doing anything wrong tomorrow is my final test with the SUP and I don't want to mess anything up. Any advice or tips that can help me are greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
1) Back to the dolly first, they should have been post-tripped so most will be good to go.

2) 4-ways should already be on when on the yard. Hand valve can't be pulled unless hooked to trailer with air applied. Also, it's a pintle hook.

3) chock wheel with electric cord if needed.

4) couple to lead and pretrip trailer. Back to dolly and apply parking brake...that is all ups wants us to use. No need for hand valve when hooking up dolly although I guess some sups may want that.

5) notify people inside trailer if coupling on the wall. After coupling verify lever on dolly is in locked position, check kingpin, raise landing gear, hook up lines then apply air and activate snubber.

Different ways to do some of this, find a routine and stick with it.

I'm sure they will be patient if it's your first time building a set. If you ask me it seems stupid to have a week of training and build one set.

BusterBrown31

1) Back to the dolly first, they should have been post-tripped so most will be good to go.

2) 4-ways should already be on when on the yard. Hand valve can't be pulled unless hooked to trailer with air applied. Also, it's a pintle hook.

4) couple to lead and pretrip trailer. Back to dolly and apply parking brake...that is all ups wants us to use. No need for hand valve when hooking up dolly although I guess some sups may want that.

5) notify people inside trailer if coupling on the wall. After coupling verify lever on dolly is in locked position, check kingpin, raise landing gear, hook up lines then apply air and activate snubber.

I'm sure they will be patient if it's your first time building a set. If you ask me it seems stupid to have a week of training and build one set.
Yeah I mean I've built maybe 6 sets might be 5 to be honest but there's so many little rules to be followed it's hard to keep track of them all.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
Have they given you feedback? If they haven't told you to change anything I would go with what you've been doing all week.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
So tomorrow is my final day with the SUP...I've never hooked doubles before this..this is all new to me. I am asking for advice from you fellow drivers what is the best procedure to hook up doubles THE UPS WAY.
My routine:
1. Find a dolly pretrip it make sure fhwa sticker is current check if paper work is there and tires are in good shape check airlines and electrical line for cuts or frays.
2. If everything checks out then position my tractor to hook it up. Before exiting the truck turn 4 ways on and pull trailer service brake lever down.. Grab the chains and set them down under dolly, remove cotter pin from pindle hook, open pindle hook latch, lift dolley and push it not pull and set it in my pindle hook close the latch insert cotter pin and connect lights, then connect the chains hooks up and clips up then drain the air if not already done by previous driver then check that lights are working.
3. Proceed to my lighter trailer position dolly in front of trailer get out check level. Open pindle hook latch remove light cord remove chains and set them under dolly. Lift dolly and set it on the ground check the level again.
4. Proceed to my heavier trailer and position it in front of my dolly pull trailer service brake lever down and press red valve in get out and open pindle hook latch and set dolly on pindle hook behind lead trailer lock pindle hook latch and connect lights airlines and last chains in a crossing pattern hooks up and clips up. (Check level again)
5. Get back in the truck and proceed backing up under rear trailer. Get out check coupling if King pin is locked and check side windows on side of Dooley fifth wheel to ensure proper coupling then connect air lines on rear trailer and lights then go to lead trailer and turn the blue valve on first then red valve and activate snubber. Raise landing gear.

That's my procedure am I missing something or am I doing anything wrong tomorrow is my final test with the SUP and I don't want to mess anything up. Any advice or tips that can help me are greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.
I'm tired already ,, but yah looks good

Covemastah

Also may I add, talk to no one while hooking or dropping and stay off the dam phone ,, pay strict attention to the task at hand and you won't forget anything !!

Covemastah

If you forget anything , get out and recheck !!
And always , I mean always visually check that pin !!
Don't trust the tug method ,,, look look look , and if you aren't sure if you checked it !!!!!
Look again !!!

Sweeper

Where’s the broom?
Looks good to me as well. Just a tip during step three make sure to center the dolly in front of your kite. The bigger the gap between the dolly and the kite the greater chance that you won't back the dolly straight under the kite once you hook it onto your lead. I like to actually have the forks of the dolly touching the kite when I spot the dolly. This lets you check to make sure you have the dolly lined up precisely with the kingpin of the kite. If you get fairly close and fairly straight with the pintle of the lead, to the dolly, you'll be in good shape to hook the kite once you connect the dolly to the lead. Again the more space you have between the dolly and kite before you back under the kite the greater the chance of something going awry.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
4. Proceed to my heavier trailer and position it in front of my dolly pull trailer service brake lever down and press red valve in get out and open pindle hook latch and set dolly on pindle hook behind lead trailer lock pindle hook latch and connect lights airlines and last chains in a crossing pattern hooks up and clips up. (Check level again).
No need to push the red valve and engage the handbrake at this point, you're just hooking the dolly to your lead. After you push it under and give it a tug test go ahead and do those two things before you walk back to check your couple and finish hooking up your lines.
Everything else looks good, you're gonna be fine. Good luck.