Connecting doubles the ups way

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I didn't say not to pretrip the dolly. I said back the tractor to the dolly before hooking it up...he is in the dolly staging area before backing his dolly to the rear trailer.

That's the way it sounded. Sorry.

1) Back to the dolly first, they should have been post-tripped so most will be good to go.

UPS is a big company...do you think every building works just like yours? We have signs telling us 4-ways must be used on the yard at all times and many other buildings I go to do as well.

OK. I have been to over 40 buildings half of them hubs, and have never seen a sign.

Maybe in different parts of the country. But I still cannot understand why UPS trains us to use our 4-ways when backing and then also wants them on when going forward in the yard.

Sounds like the ORION team made up this rule.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
That's the way it sounded. Sorry.

OK. I have been to over 40 buildings half of them hubs, and have never seen a sign.

Maybe in different parts of the country. But I still cannot understand why UPS trains us to use our 4-ways when backing and then also wants them on when going forward in the yard.

Sounds like the ORION team made up this rule.
We've been told specifically not use our 4 ways unless we're backing, driving around a busy yard with your 4 ways on just confuses people.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
We've been told specifically not use our 4 ways unless we're backing, driving around a busy yard with your 4 ways on just confuses people.

I hope they do that here but I don't see it happening. I saw some Yardbirds at a big hub a few weeks back that had the flashing lights like a pace car would have. They weren't that bright but would suck if it was raining.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
His steps were to 1) find and pretrip a dolly 2) position his tractor to hook up the dolly.

I was starting to back up to a dolly before the pretrip is done. I could have given clearer instructions.

I got what you meant when you replied the first time.

I apologize. I got the wrong impression when I first read it.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
His steps were to 1) find and pretrip a dolly 2) position his tractor to hook up the dolly.

I was starting to back up to a dolly before the pretrip is done. I could have given clearer instructions.

To go one step further, I may have got the wrong impression because I have seen far too many drivers just check lights and tires, nothing else.

Hell, sometimes I have seen drivers not pre-trial a thing.

Johney

How do you get the time?

This is what the equipment handled screen is for. Did your sup tell you to cheat?

If you do not break the set down, your equipment handled should be 0 trailers and 0 dollies. This gives you no time credit to break the set down. You only get the time credit to post-trip however many your IVIS showed you bringing in.

If you do put in 2 trailers and 1 dolly, you are taking time credit for something you did not do.

I am curious if they told you to do this, or if they just never told you how to do it.
Dude give it a break.Who knows I didn't break down a set. Not every place is like where you are you should know that by now.As far as allowance time I'm going by what my start time is and my outbound time is, it's not rocket science to calculate what my allowance is from the time I punch in, subtract pretrip times then when I leave.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Dude give it a break.Who knows I didn't break down a set. Not every place is like where you are you should know that by now.As far as allowance time I'm going by what my start time is and my outbound time is, it's not rocket science to calculate what my allowance is from the time I punch in, subtract pretrip times then when I leave.

No, not every place is like where I am. And no, we don't have an issue with that here.

I am just pointing out to be careful. UPS as a whole is not like it used to be.

It used to be that if you left on time and got to where you are going on time, they didn't care what you did in between.

That has changed. And if it hasn't gotten to you yet, it is coming.

I know of a driver fired, got his job back with a week unpaid suspension for doing exactly what you posted. And no, he is not from where I am.

His outbounds are always ready when he gets there. His schedule reflects his pull time based on breaking his set down.

He did not break his set down, slept in his tractor for the 20 minutes that he got credit for breaking his set down, and then left on time.

Terminated for stealing time.

rod

Retired 22 years
No, not every place is like where I am. And no, we don't have an issue with that here.

I am just pointing out to be careful. UPS as a whole is not like it used to be.

It used to be that if you left on time and got to where you are going on time, they didn't care what you did in between.

That has changed. And if it hasn't gotten to you yet, it is coming.

I know of a driver fired, got his job back with a week unpaid suspension for doing exactly what you posted. And no, he is not from where I am.

His outbounds are always ready when he gets there. His schedule reflects his pull time based on breaking his set down.

He did not break his set down, slept in his tractor for the 20 minutes that he got credit for breaking his set down, and then left on time.

Terminated for stealing time.

You can't sleep on the job anymore? Damn--- they are taking all the fun out of it.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
I stand by my trailer on central sort time , or pretty close to it !!
They were hot around here for a while with guys not being by there loads

Johney

No idea....forgot most of it, just make sure you don't high pin... major pita to get out unless you are in a goat...
Stick a piece of wood under the back side of the 5th wheel to keep it tilted forward. I carry a small piece behind the seat for the occasional rookie I run into that has done it. You really only do it once.