Connecting doubles the ups way

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Stick a piece of wood under the back side of the 5th wheel to keep it tilted forward. I carry a small piece behind the seat for the occasional rookie I run into that has done it. You really only do it once.

I have never done it, knock on wood, but I never thought of the wood trick. It seems like it may actually work.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Stick a piece of wood under the back side of the 5th wheel to keep it tilted forward. I carry a small piece behind the seat for the occasional rookie I run into that has done it. You really only do it once.
We got this one bozo who's done it like 5 times already, no one can figure out what his problem is.

P

pickup

Looks good to me as well. Just a tip during step three make sure to center the dolly in front of your kite. The bigger the gap between the dolly and the kite the greater chance that you won't back the dolly straight under the kite once you hook it onto your lead. I like to actually have the forks of the dolly touching the kite when I spot the dolly. This lets you check to make sure you have the dolly lined up precisely with the kingpin of the kite. If you get fairly close and fairly straight with the pintle of the lead, to the dolly, you'll be in good shape to hook the kite once you connect the dolly to the lead. Again the more space you have between the dolly and kite before you back under the kite the greater the chance of something going awry.

Let me just add, if it hasn't already been said, make sure that during the pre trip of the lead trailer, that you make sure that the airline at the back of the lead trailer is "tucked in" i.e within the pintle hook , not outside of it. If it is outside, you have a chance of puncturing it when you back it up to the staged dolly(the tip of the dolly being the puncturing culprit).

And even with the air hose properly tucked in. If you line up incorrectly when backing up the lead trailer to the dolly, you can still puncture the airline . So the way to avoid that is to not tap the dolly. If you can't judge distances , and you want to get close, drop a glove( or another object that you can see) at a point where you want the end of the trailer to be and make sure your dot bar does not go past that point.

Last edited by a moderator:

muthatrucka

How do you get the time?

This is what the equipment handled screen is for. Did your sup tell you to cheat?

If you do not break the set down, your equipment handled should be 0 trailers and 0 dollies. This gives you no time credit to break the set down. You only get the time credit to post-trip however many your IVIS showed you bringing in.

If you do put in 2 trailers and 1 dolly, you are taking time credit for something you did not do.

I am curious if they told you to do this, or if they just never told you how to do it.
We had 73 drivers pulled upstairs and told, if u bring in or take out a set, claim 2-1 no matter what u moved or didn't move. A hooked set is now 1-1, single and dolly 1-1, single trailer in a spot is 1-0.

muthatrucka

That's the way it sounded. Sorry.

OK. I have been to over 40 buildings half of them hubs, and have never seen a sign.

Maybe in different parts of the country. But I still cannot understand why UPS trains us to use our 4-ways when backing and then also wants them on when going forward in the yard.

Sounds like the ORION team made up this rule.
I dunno that I've ever seen a sign but I have had a sup tell me use them at all times on the yard. Yardbirds use flashers at all times, not that it keeps them from running 30mph on the yard but that's a different story I guess.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
Let me just add, if it hasn't already been said, make sure that during the pre trip of the lead trailer, that you make sure that the airline at the back of the lead trailer is "tucked in" i.e within the pintle hook , not outside of it. If it is outside, you have a chance of puncturing it when you back it up to the staged dolly(the tip of the dolly being the puncturing culprit).

And even with the air hose properly tucked in. If you line up incorrectly when backing up the lead trailer to the dolly, you can still puncture the airline . So the way to avoid that is to not tap the dolly. If you can't judge distances , and you want to get close, drop a glove( or another object that you can see) at a point where you want the end of the trailer to be and make sure your dot bar does not go past that point.

I don't tuck it in I put it on top of the pintle and make sure it's hooked in and won't fall out.

To add to this make sure you don't hit the dolly with the blocks that have the air valves ...I don't know what the name of them is but if they are hit too hard they either leak or you can't turn the valve to get air to the rear trailer.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
We had 73 drivers pulled upstairs and told, if u bring in or take out a set, claim 2-1 no matter what u moved or didn't move.

That's why I asked @Johney if a sup told him to do this. I have been instructed both ways by various sups. I am trying to find out if the sups actually don't know how to do it or if they do, and they are telling us to fudge numbers.

I dunno that I've ever seen a sign but I have had a sup tell me use them at all times on the yard.

I've been told both ways on this also, and I'm sure each area has its own policy, but if 4-ways are to be used for backing, then why also use them in the yard going forward?

If you see a tractor in the dark ahead of you with its 4-ways on, too dark to see him clearly, you literally don't know if he is backing up or going forward.

I don't tuck it in I put it on top of the pintle and make sure it's hooked in and won't fall out.

I like to put it up and over, hooking it with the handle and pin to keep from falling. It stays out of the way of the pintle hook on the dolly. And the pintle is already open waiting to accept the pintle hook.

20141202_191922.jpg

To add to this make sure you don't hit the dolly with the blocks that have the air valves ...I don't know what the name of them

Wait for it....They are officially called cut-out roosters, or simply shut off valves.

Johney

I was trained that when inbounding a set regardless of what you're doing,breaking down,bypass meet,staging,whatever it's 2-1 on inbound equipment or outbound equipment. Never ever been told anything different. Also if you use your marker correctly you should never have to worry about where the air hose is as you shouldn't even come close to hitting it.

Johney

I think it was last year a Jax driver put the tongue of his dolly right through the door of his lead cause he didn't use a marker. Somehow.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I was trained that when inbounding a set regardless of what you're doing,breaking down,bypass meet,staging,whatever it's 2-1 on inbound equipment or outbound equipment. Never ever been told anything different. Also if you use your marker correctly you should never have to worry about where the air hose is as you shouldn't even come close to hitting it.

It's called bump and roll.

Johney

It's called bump and roll.
I see it all the time, problem is every mechanic can smell that screw up a mile away. Our mechanics are p/c guys at night and get pretty upset when they have to stop their work to fix an air hose on the lead trailer because of a lazy feeder driver.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I was trained that when inbounding a set regardless of what you're doing,breaking down,bypass meet,staging,whatever it's 2-1 on inbound equipment or outbound equipment.

That's the way I was trained a decade ago also. But 3 years ago, corporate put out a memo clarifying equipment handled.

Just trying to figure out who does what.

Equipment Handling.jpg

I think it was last year a Jax driver put the tongue of his dolly right through the door of his lead cause he didn't use a marker. Somehow.

I saw someone put the front of the dolly through the back door of the lead by "popping" the dolly off the pintle while dropping the back box.

The trick is to unhook hoses, lower landing gear on rear box, slide dolly handle, open pintle flapper.

Then pull away from the back box. Once the dolly has almost cleared, the front will try and raise up because the fifth wheel is starting to angle up, quickly hit the brakes and then gun it.

The dolly will pop off the pintle without having to get out and drop it.

As I have personally seen by another driver, it can go wrong. And yes, he was terminated. Got his job back but lost 2 days.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I see it all the time, problem is every mechanic can smell that screw up a mile away. Our mechanics are p/c guys at night and get pretty upset when they have to stop their work to fix an air hose on the lead trailer because of a lazy feeder driver.

Just had one fixed Saturday morning.

My set was already put together when I got there. As soon as I applied the hand valve, heard a major leak.

The dolly to front trailer hose had a major split, telltale signs of a bump and roll with the hose not being out of the way.

Johney

The trick is to unhook hoses, lower landing gear on rear box, slide dolly handle, open pintle flapper.

Then pull away from the back box. Once the dolly has almost cleared, the front will try and raise up because the fifth wheel is starting to angle up, quickly hit the brakes and then gun it.

The dolly will pop off the pintle without having to get out and drop it.

As I have personally seen by another driver, it can go wrong. And yes, he was terminated. Got his job back but lost 2 days.
Why in the hell would anybody do something as stupid as that?