Connecting doubles the ups way

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
T
The trick is to unhook hoses, lower landing gear on rear box, slide dolly handle, open pintle flapper.

Then pull away from the back box. Once the dolly has almost cleared, the front will try and raise up because the fifth wheel is starting to angle up, quickly hit the brakes and then gun it.

The dolly will pop off the pintle without having to get out and drop it.

As I have personally seen by another driver, it can go wrong. And yes, he was terminated. Got his job back but lost 2 days.
Why in the hell would anybody do something as stupid as that?
We call that "The Jersey Drop".

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
We still take 2 and 1 for all sets but I think it's because the shifters don't take credit when they build the set. Shiftcom used to give is the lead and rear but now they give us the lead trailer and message us to build a set like 370xxx couples to 379xxx.

I think the supervisors are worried about the reports and the shifters already have plenty of moves per hour to be justified.

barnyard

KTM rider
Why in the hell would anybody do something as stupid as that?

It is in the 'ask a feeder driver' thread too. I thought it was called a 'cach unhook.' I thought whoever posted wrote that they saw it done frequently. Does not seem like something I want to even try.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Pretty much all places we go you drop your rear then dump your dolly in a dolly pit, so unhooking it from the lead that soon would never work.
People do it with a thru load when they know someone else is gonna be hooking their lead to it. Or so I was told.

rod

Retired 22 years
One time years ago I felt sorry when I thought about some poor feeder driver hooking up his doubles on a snowy brutally cold night. Then I came to my senses and realized that SOB never felt sorry for me delivering in that crap all day long.

muthatrucka

It is in the 'ask a feeder driver' thread too. I thought it was called a 'cach unhook.' I thought whoever posted wrote that they saw it done frequently. Does not seem like something I want to even try.
I "allegedly" watch a driver do this every night to spot a dolly with his tractor. He leaves the Pintle open while moving the dolly across the yard and then backs it under his trailer so that it raises up, then pulls away and the dolly falls in front of the trailer. I'm taking bets on when he finally screws up and loses it in the yard.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I "allegedly" watch a driver do this every night to spot a dolly with his tractor. He leaves the Pintle open while moving the dolly across the yard and then backs it under his trailer so that it raises up, then pulls away and the dolly falls in front of the trailer. I'm taking bets on when he finally screws up and loses it in the yard.
that was a big NO-NO in our yard. a couple drivers tried that and were spoken to real fast.

also for awhile we were not allowed to cowboy it in because of all the forked trailers. but after awhile they let us do it again probably because it saved time and helped them on their outbounds.

trickpony1

also for awhile we were not allowed to cowboy it in because of all the forked trailers. but after awhile they let us do it again probably because it saved time and helped them on their outbounds.

Let me count the ways:
1) put dolly on tractor to spot on rear trailer.
2) take dolly off tractor to spot.
3) put dolly on back of front trailer.....
TOTAL: handled dolly 3 times.

"cowboy" method:
1) put dolly on back of front trailer.
TOTAL: handled dolly 1 time.

Our hub let the experienced (older) drivers "cowboy" the set to decrease the chance of any injury (back, knee, shoulder etc.)

Safety tip: if you can't look at a trailer and tell it's too low to hook to then maybe you shouldn't be in feeders.