Connecting doubles the ups way

Cementups

Box Monkey
And your allowed 15 minutes to do this

It took me over an hour to make a set the other day on my first day. I watched a guy do it today in about 15 minutes. I told him he needs to show me how to do it his way. All he said was, "you'll get it." And watching some of these guys back a dolly already attached to their first pup, into their second pup, is amazing. Mad skills.

trickpony1

step 1: put dolly on back of front trailer;
step 2: drive to the other side of the yard where rear trailer is;
step 3: back front trailer and dolly under rear trailer and;
step 4: tug to assure coupled.

Relatively easy.

barnyard

KTM rider
Absolutely pretrip your dolly. I found one that had a dry hub that I found before I even put it on the tractor pintle. Always pre and post trip, never, ever assume that everything was post tripped as well as it should have been.

If you have not built many sets, get everything as close as you can and remember that you will not be able to see the dolly tires in your mirrors. Watch the sides of the trailers, make sure that the skins are lined up.

Do not be afraid to ask for help. I found that old hands were always happy to help and would rather help someone succeed rather than fail on their own.

barnyard

KTM rider
One of our jobs does some CPU work at a catalog warehouse. One night, I built 3 sets there, 1 for me and 2 for others. Build 7 sets in a night and you start to get the hang of it.

govols019

You smell that?
I build 5-6 sets a night...soon it will become second nature to you.

Have a set routine and do not deviate from it. No shame in double or even triple checking yourself.

I refuse to cowboy a dolly anymore...that's a good way to fork a trailer.

Don't ask me how I know.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I thought you have a total of 44 minutes to do Pre trip tractor and make your set and leave the yard before you get any overloud?
Actually you have as long as it takes to put everything together safely. What if you get everything hooked up and find you have an air leak? What if there's a light out on one of your trailers? A lot of things can and will happen to put you over their time standard. Most important is to have a set routine and don't take any shortcuts.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Back to the dolly first, they should have been post-tripped so most will be good to go.

It is proper methods to pre-trip your dolly, whether is was supposed to be post-tripped by the previous driver or not.

And never, ever, trust anyone else for equipment that you are pulling. It is your life.

Pre-trip the dolly.

4-ways should already be on when on the yard.

I never could understand why half the drivers drive around the yard with their 4-ways on. At UPS, 4-ways are to be used when backing. On the road, they are to be used when stopped on the shoulder or when going considerably slower than other traffic.

In the yard, everyone is going slow and drivers are using their 4-ways for backing and going forward. Talk about confusing?

Hand valve can't be pulled unless hooked to trailer with air applied.

Yes it can. It does not supply any air since the trailer air supply is not applied, but it does activate the brake lights, which need to be checked on the dolly when pre-tripping the dolly before even moving it.

raise landing gear, hook up lines

Not to nit-pick, but it is hook up lines, apply air, then raise landing gear.

Different ways to do some of this, find a routine and stick with it.

Exactly. Find a routine that works for you and stick to it.

If you ask me it seems stupid to have a week of training and build one set.

Here, we have a week of production before obtaining your CDL. During this week, you should be building at least one set daily.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I do believe the actual time allowed is 29 minutes to build or break down a set. Pulling a set of empties to a yard and not having to break them down,yet getting the time too do so is nothing but gold!

How do you get the time?

This is what the equipment handled screen is for. Did your sup tell you to cheat?

If you do not break the set down, your equipment handled should be 0 trailers and 0 dollies. This gives you no time credit to break the set down. You only get the time credit to post-trip however many your IVIS showed you bringing in.

If you do put in 2 trailers and 1 dolly, you are taking time credit for something you did not do.

I am curious if they told you to do this, or if they just never told you how to do it.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
It is proper methods to pre-trip your dolly, whether is was supposed to be post-tripped by the previous driver or not.

I didn't say not to pretrip the dolly. I said back the tractor to the dolly before hooking it up...he is in the dolly staging area before backing his dolly to the rear trailer.

I never could understand why half the drivers drive around the yard with their 4-ways on. At UPS, 4-ways are to be used when backing. On the road, they are to be used when stopped on the shoulder or when going considerably slower than other traffic

UPS is a big company...do you think every building works just like yours? We have signs telling us 4-ways must be used on the yard at all times and many other buildings I go to do as well.