Considering Lasik

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
I'm curious, of those who have taken the plunge, what has your experience been like? Did you opt for multi focal type or just distance or reading strength with glasses as an accessory. I'm getting ready to retire and after years of glasses/contacts/nothing I'm looking for any feedback from your situation.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
A vast majority of the people I know who have had it think it's the best thing since sliced bread. One lady I used to deliver to didn't fall into that category. She was in constant pain and had to keep some kind of liquid poured into her eyes 24/7. This was many years ago, however when lasik was in in it's infancy. Good luck to you and on your upcoming retirement.

13zipcodes

Had it done about 1.5 years ago. Best thing I've ever done for myself. I'm 27, so my experience was different than an older person's would be. They said younger people recover better. I was near sighted, about 20/500 in the right eye and 20/800 in the left. Now I am 20/20 in the right and 20/15 in the left. Had my surgery on Friday, was back to work on Tuesday. It burned pretty bad for the first couple of hours, then I was pretty much fine. Only used eye drops for about 2-3 months. I do get some halos around bright lights at night and my night vision is not as good as it used to be. I would definitely do it again.

clean hairy

It is still too new to know how long it will last.
I know one person had it done 6 or 7 yrs ago, and nearly failed the eye test for drivers license renewal.
I think ABC did a segment on it, folks who had problems after Lasik, the vision was siliar to looking through a screen door. Others had to wear sunglasses all the time, the sunlight and headlights caused extreme pain.
I personally would not do Lasik.
They miss by 1 millionth of a micron, and could be lifetime vision problems.
I would not care to roll the dice, and the problems could show up months or years later, no one knows.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

When I had my last annual eye exam I asked if I were a candidate for Lasik. He asked if I could read the 20/200 line---I laughed and said yes. He said folks who have the surgery have a hard time reading that line.

MaceFremonti

I had it done in 2007 and it was the best $6000 that I have ever spent. Eyes are still 20/20 and 20/15. Night vision is fine but of course I went to one of the best eye surgeons in the country so your results may vary.....

What caused me to get it done was that I used to wear hard lenses in delivery and had never lost both lenses in the same day I had lost one occasionally here and there but the day that made me decide to have it done I lost both lenses within 5 minutes of each other and had to call and have somebody finish the route...

http://www.theeyecenter.com/meet_surgeons.htm

MC4YOU2

I have good distance vision, and was told it would decrease more gradually than my reading vision, which it has. My reading vision has degraded seemingly more rapidly each year tho, and so before I check out from UPS, seems like the best time to consider it.

ChickenLegs

Safety Expert
meme-9780651-310x331.jpeg

S

selfcancelsignal

I had it done 14 years ago. Was 20/15 in both eyes for the 1st few years, but barely passed the last DOT eye test. Went & had 'em checked a few months ago & am like 20/60, give or take now. I see pretty well during the day & don't really need glasses, but got some Transitions anyway, just to cover my :censored2:. I've been wearing them while night driving of late & they help immensely. Would really like a LASIK touch up 'cause I'm not a fan of glasses or contacts!

MAKAVELI

I had it done in 2007 and it was the best $6000 that I have ever spent. Eyes are still 20/20 and 20/15. Night vision is fine but of course I went to one of the best eye surgeons in the country so your results may vary.....

What caused me to get it done was that I used to wear hard lenses in delivery and had never lost both lenses in the same day I had lost one occasionally here and there but the day that made me decide to have it done I lost both lenses within 5 minutes of each other and had to call and have somebody finish the route...

http://www.theeyecenter.com/meet_surgeons.htm
This is the key to a successful lazik procedure and healing process. DON'T BE CHEAP! If you're going to do it, find the most experienced and recommended doctor. You won't regret spending the extra$.

MC4YOU2

I had it done 14 years ago. Was 20/15 in both eyes for the 1st few years, but barely passed the last DOT eye test. Went & had 'em checked a few months ago & am like 20/60, give or take now. I see pretty well during the day & don't really need glasses, but got some Transitions anyway, just to cover my :censored2:. I've been wearing them while night driving of late & they help immensely. Would really like a LASIK touch up 'cause I'm not a fan of glasses or contacts!

Self, have you asked about the yag treatment that is done after lasik? They use a different light process that kills the film that grows on the back of the implant after surgery. It's quick and there's no recovery time. My wife had this done after hers in one eye and it made a difference. She swears by this decision, but I'm just looking for more input for myself.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I had my LASIK done in March of 2001 and would more than likely do it again if I had to. Best money I ever spent. My only complaint was that before the surgery I could pick out colors in the dark. Now I can't do that as well and it also take a couple more seconds for my eyes to adjust to darkness when I turn off the lights in a room. But I can live with that.

RealPerson

Done mine in 2006. BEST thing I have ever spent money on. I am a FREE person from glasses and contacts and eye allergies and so on. I had dry eyes for about 1-3 months, can't remember that exactly. I have not had my eyes checked since, but I can read street signs way before most in the car...
I also went with the BEST. Did not opt for any of the cheaper stuff..
Had a friend who had night halos bad for about 6 months, he is fine now.