Considering Lasik

oldngray

nowhere special
What's the worst that could happen?

It's scary when they mess with your eyes. I didn't have lasik but I did have cataract surgery (lens implant) in one eye. Unusual because I was only in my 40's and it was just one eye. It is very possible the UV light from being outside delivering for years was a factor but unknown.

HBGPreloader

What's the worst that could happen?
I had a family member who had it done at the beginning of this year.

The first eye went off without a hitch - seeing 20/20 within days of the surgery.

The second eye is where she ran into "complications" - an infection that lead to temporary blindness in the eye.

After several painful visits over a couple of months, she slowly regained her sight in the eye. Now, about 7 months after the surgery, it's back to normal - other than the occasional "floater" that sometimes blurs her vision.

She got lucky because the doctor told her that the infection should have lead to permanent damage and loss of vision.

There are a lot of things that can go wrong with the surgery and the recovery. I'm sure you can find quite a few horror stories online.

However, everyone I spoke with that had it done said it was well worth it - including the family member.

clean hairy

Do the research, know the risks, and decide for yourself.
Just in this thread, there is feedback from a person who has to use reading glasses, even though the lasik claims are for no further need for glasses.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Do the research, know the risks, and decide for yourself.
Just in this thread, there is feedback from a person who has to use reading glasses, even though the lasik claims are for no further need for glasses.

My doctor told me straight up that a lot of people still end up needing reading glasses at some point. Most people's eyes will go through a second shift in vision later in life.

twoweeled

Hubby had it done years ago (over 10).....wore contacts and glasses for years. Now he just needs those magnifier reading glasses. He says it's the best thing for him.
Had it done here....

http://nvisioncenters.com/lasik-newport-beach/doctor/dr-tom-tooma/

If you don't mind me asking. How much did it cost for both eyes? What was included? Does insurance help at all? Really considering it now, that I'm getting close to retirement!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yeaaaah.

moreluck

golden ticket member
If you don't mind me asking. How much did it cost for both eyes? What was included? Does insurance help at all? Really considering it now, that I'm getting close to retirement!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yeaaaah.
It was back in '99 and he thinks it was $2500 and not many docs were doing it.

wage EARNER

I had lasik earlier in the year and everything turn out fine. 20/15 in both eyes. There is still some dryness issues when I wake up sometimes.

Before you pick a surgeon, call the insurance to see what they offer. Before the contract went through, insurance would pay 15% to surgeons in the plan.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Got an eye exam and was told I do not have significant cataracts, so insurance will not pay for much. Cost for one eye; $3500 for lens implant, possibility of needing upgrade (another $3500) or glasses later. For lasik $1500-2200, possible upgrade later (only $300!) or glasses. Was also told that Medicare covers cataract surgery at 80%! I'm only 54, so.... glasses for now, and I'm mulling the one eyed lasik deal in a few months. That's the plan I'm going with.