Considering making the swap from driver to management

DRporch

Have my CDL so feeders is an option. and I hit top rate in a month.
Highly debating swapping to management for more opportunities.
Say it all goes well what would our think is a fair starting salary?
Any tips you have? Anything I should know going in? I’m looking for outsider advice. My best friend is a supervisor so I do know a lot more then most going into it.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Any tips you have? Anything I should know going in? I’m looking for outsider advice. My best friend is a supervisor so I do know a lot more then most going into it.

If you know more than most why ask here?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Not in operations

driving 8-12hrs a night and being in a building for a preload Full time position is 2 whole different monsters. I’d also be going for driver sup

If you care about doing things the right way, and being a decent human being who doesn't have to lie his way through the day just to survive, then I wouldn't recommend management in this company. If all you care about is climbing the corporate ladder and don't have any moral hang ups whatsoever, you could consider this company, but don't expect to go very far if you demonstrate even the least bit of competence at doing the actual job.

I know that sounds like over the top exaggeration, but that is my honest take on the matter. UPS management is a nightmare and very likely unfixable.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
Not in operations

driving 8-12hrs a night and being in a building for a preload Full time position is 2 whole different monsters. I’d also be going for driver sup

"Not in Operations" ..That maybe true as of now...remember you will be selling your soul to that kind of mentality...in other words they get rid of you in a heartbeat to appease their shareholders...

If you become a full time on car supervisor you will be expected to work 12 hour days 6 or seven days a week guaranteed...go ask your friend...

If you plan to making a career at UPS and stay long term you might want to consider your pension and retiree's health and welfare packages before you take the leap....

DRporch

"Not in Operations" ..That maybe true as of now...remember you will be selling your soul to that kind of mentality...in other words they get rid of you in a heartbeat to appease their shareholders...

If you become a full time on car supervisor you will be expected to work 12 hour days 6 or seven days a week guaranteed...go ask your friend...

If you plan to making a career at UPS and stay long term you might want to consider your pension and retiree's health and welfare packages before you take the leap....
Long term I’ll be surprised if there is a Union left. Pensions will be cut by the time I retire and won’t be a thing. Management must be bad in your area but it is not bad in mine.

I have 29 years left until I hit 55. How many of you think you can do 200+ stops a day for 34years straight.

Long term I’ll be surprised if there is a Union left. Pensions will be cut by the time I retire and won’t be a thing. Management must be bad in your area but it is not bad in mine.

I have 29 years left until I hit 55. How many of you think you can do 200+ stops a day for 34years straight.
You do know that management does not get a pension anymore?

I do know that but it’s only a matter of time until union members lose that too. My generation don’t vote. They don’t care about unions they don’t care about votes.
Good luck whatever you decide but I could never jump over to the dark side. As much as this job sucks some days once I punch out I'm not worried about it, when your management you always seem to be on the clock

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

Take all your breaks and get on 9.5. Then go at a safe pace. If, 10 to 15 years from now, you decide to go management, you'll be able to do another full career run before you retire.

tourists24

If you care about doing things the right way, and being a decent human being who doesn't have to lie his way through the day just to survive, then I wouldn't recommend management in this company. If all you care about is climbing the corporate ladder and don't have any moral hang ups whatsoever, you could consider this company, but don't expect to go very far if you demonstrate even the least bit of competence at doing the actual job.

I know that sounds like over the top exaggeration, but that is my honest take on the matter. UPS management is a nightmare and very likely unfixable.
Sadly, this is a true assessment. It sounds like the OP has already decided.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I do know that but it’s only a matter of time until union members lose that too. My generation don’t vote. They don’t care about unions they don’t care about votes.

Just in case you didn't know, UPS doesn't expect new management to last more than five years, and will actively try to push you out.

DRporch

Good luck whatever you decide but I could never jump over to the dark side. As much as this job sucks some days once I punch out I'm not worried about it, when your management you always seem to be on the clock
I agree and my current route is fine but long term is another story.
Sadly, this is a true assessment. It sounds like the OP has already decided.
Well I want insight from people who actually do the job the the union guys who already put time in. I already know the union members standpoints
Just in case you didn't know, UPS doesn't expect new management to last more than five years, and will actively try to push you out.
do you have any evidence or just saying some random nonsense

DRporch

My evidence is a former ORS I am friends with.
Sorry to hear that about your friend. My area seems to be quite different out sups stay. Only one I ever seen get fired was a guy who send nudes to a female driver who sued the company for sexual harassment. Every other one has been here forever

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
Do it. Primp up the resume for a couple years then GTFO. Your use of the term "my generation" makes me presume you are young. I have little confidence in the feeder driver position even existing a whole longer. Long enough for the question to matter at least.