Considering making the swap from driver to management

542thruNthru

UPS in socal is no longer hiring FT ORS. The new thing is Flex Sups. Operations management is changing just as much as labor. I'm not going to try and talk you out of being a sup because honestly I don't care what you do. I'm just saying operations management roles can change when ever corporate decides because they have nothing stopping them.

DRporch

UPS in socal is no longer hiring FT ORS. The new thing is Flex Sups. Operations management is changing just as much as labor. I'm not going to try and talk you out of being a sup because honestly I don't care what you do. I'm just saying operations management roles can change when ever corporate decides because they have nothing stopping them.
Sounds interesting. What else do they have your sups doing? I’m looking long term. And looking long term in union work or management both are unpredictable so it’s a toss up
If they're resis and you have your own route, it doesn't sound bad.
my route is 6 stops and 7 pickups im not complaining about my route it’s a cakewalk I’m just trying to look long term which is a safer better option 10 years from now

542thruNthru

Sounds interesting. What else do they have your sups doing? I’m looking long term. And looking long term in union work or management both are unpredictable so it’s a toss up
From what I'm being told by other managers they will be a PT sup. A morning and a night shift just like OMS.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Sorry to hear that about your friend. My area seems to be quite different out sups stay. Only one I ever seen get fired was a guy who send nudes to a female driver who sued the company for sexual harassment. Every other one has been here forever

He was in supervision for 30+ years and retired four years ago . He was referring to new management, which is what you will be.

The days of retiring a millionaire from management are long gone. Go ahead and make the jump and come back in five years and tell us how it’s going.

542thruNthru

Doesn’t sound like that’s going to work very well.
Why is that?

What exactly do ORS do during the middle of the day. The only thing I could see being a problem is OJS and S&V rides.

With technology FT supervisors are becoming more and more obsolete just like drivers are getting easier to replace.

Ou812fu

Polishing toilet bowls since 1966.
Not in operations

driving 8-12hrs a night and being in a building for a preload Full time position is 2 whole different monsters. I’d also be going for driver sup
Might also want to check into that not in operations thought. They are going to after this first batch.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Doesn’t sound like that’s going to work very well.
Think about it. With telematics, forward and driver facing cameras they can eliminate on roads and outsource it to india, just like every other division of ups. They would only need driver trainers.

DRporch

No matter how I look at the future the route I take is easily replaceable. They can do what Amazon does and pay $15 an hour to someone and not pay me $40. Each route comes with its own concerns. I don’t see the union making it much longer personally. We are all replaceable in every scenario I play out.

542thruNthru

No matter how I look at the future the route I take is easily replaceable. They can do what Amazon does and pay $15 an hour to someone and not pay me $40. Each route comes with its own concerns. I don’t see the union making it much longer personally. We are all replaceable in every scenario I play out.
I see a union being much much harder to replace than operations management.

If you're afraid of the work that's cool but stop trying to convince yourself because the union is some how going to dissolve in the next 5-10 years that you need to go into management.

DRporch

I see a union being much much harder to replace than operations management.

If you're afraid of the work that's cool but stop trying to convince yourself because the union is some how going to dissolve in the next 5-10 years that you need to go into management.
the work is not the issue. I have the least amount of work in the entire building. But once the old timers are out our union is done. None of my generation cares anymore

DRporch

It sure sounds like work is the issue.
If my route ever dissipates. I have to look at doing a full route. I have to play the what if’s of every scenario possible. I don’t want to retire at 55 with blown out knees. I. Quality of life is more of the issue then the work. Which is why I am here searching for advice. If my route stayed where it was and never changed then I’d never hesitate to stay where I am

If my route ever dissipates. I have to look at doing a full route. I have to play the what if’s of every scenario possible. I don’t want to retire at 55 with blown out knees. I. Quality of life is more of the issue then the work. Which is why I am here searching for advice. If my route stayed where it was and never changed then I’d never hesitate to stay where I am
Why don't you talk to some of your supervisors at your building. You might be surprised what answers they give you.