Considering making the swap from driver to management

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I wonder if these new sups are calculating the replacement cost of a pension into the equation? I would think you would need to save a few million to replace it?

As

I want other opinions / viewpoints before I make a huge Career change

I don’t want to go feeders and work night shift
I have two years seniority and got sent to get my cdl and now I'm on my 5th week in feeders. I have an 11:15 am start time. Thinking you have to work overnight is bs.

DRporch

I have two years seniority and got sent to get my cdl and now I'm on my 5th week in feeders. I have an 11:15 am start time. Thinking you have to work overnight is bs.

Depends on the run. Not every building has morning/afternoon routes and every year I could lose the route I’m on.

dudebro

I wonder if these new sups are calculating the replacement cost of a pension into the equation? I would think you would need to save a few million to replace it?
4 grand a month for 30 years is $616k at retirement if you get 7% on the account, but yea, you should factor that in. My thought is to go from RPCD to management you have to get to the manager level and stay there to make it worthwhile. There is a greater risk that mgmt compensation will get "enhanced" though.

Ghost in the Darkness

I haven't spoken with center manager in almost 6 months and rarely speaks with sups. Maybe I just look confrontational . 😉

I always say I'm a glass half full kinda person.... except at ups. I've adapted to reduce stress and be mostly happy at ups. You have to stare down the bullying mentality from management to get there.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
Just in case you didn't know, UPS doesn't expect new management to last more than five years, and will actively try to push you out.
Having LITERALLY SEEN corporate hiring plans, this is a complete and total lie
Mod or not, don't just make :censored2: up you don't know anything about

Rarefish383

Thread is getting kind of old, but just to have it for folks that stumble upon it later. Our feeder dept bids their runs twice a year. So, if you have a desirable day run now, next bid, you won't. I had 23 years in when I bid into feeders. I loved shifting in the yard, most feeders didn't, so I got one of the few all shifting runs. The thing I liked about shifting is you are not on the road, so DOT rules don't apply to you, if you don't go on the road later in the week. Several of us were working over 60 hours for years, made a lot of money. The pendulum swings in two directions. I had two friends that had 30 in but were still young enough that their health insurance, if they retired, would be very expensive. So, they planned on riding the gravy train. Within two years of retiring, I was already old, they both retired. New management cut shifters to zero OT.

Oh, as far as night work with 2 years being BS. Most training runs are during the day, because most training sups don't like working and driving in the dark any more than anyone else. The local center that delivers to my house has two bays and two Feeder drivers, maybe that could happen there. The building I worked out of had 168 bays and 400 Feeder drivers, often 20 years wouldn't even get you on the bid list. I thought I was lucky with 23 years. The only reason I made the list when I did was it was in the middle of Snowmageddon, and nobody wanted to train in 3 feet of snow.

Griff

If you care about doing things the right way, and being a decent human being who doesn't have to lie his way through the day just to survive, then I wouldn't recommend management in this company. If all you care about is climbing the corporate ladder and don't have any moral hang ups whatsoever, you could consider this company, but don't expect to go very far if you demonstrate even the least bit of competence at doing the actual job.

I know that sounds like over the top exaggeration, but that is my honest take on the matter. UPS management is a nightmare and very likely unfixable.

The most honest take on UPS management you could probably receive online. For the record, I never was management. Driver for decades, steward for decades, and I saw the gauntlet of management types through both listed lenses.

CHEMA-DELMA

Have my CDL so feeders is an option. and I hit top rate in a month.
Highly debating swapping to management for more opportunities.
Say it all goes well what would our think is a fair starting salary?
Any tips you have? Anything I should know going in? I’m looking for outsider advice. My best friend is a supervisor so I do know a lot more then most going into it.
Stay a driver get into feeder, management starting going down hill when they took the turkey's away...