Considering making the swap from driver to management

DRporch

Why don't you talk to some of your supervisors at your building. You might be surprised what answers they give you.
I’m not sure if it’s my area but some days they hate it but most they love it. I’ve talked to them. One of my current sups was a driver with me at a different building. Which is why I’m here. All of their advice pretty much says go for it.
Every driver I know that applied to be a ORS changed their mind when they found out what the starting pay was.

I believe it's around $60k a year.
Yeah if they offered me 60k I’d be walking out in a heartbeat myself. I know a few of my current sups rough salaries. All of them say do not apply until you hit top rate or you get a lowball offer

I’m not sure if it’s my area but some days they hate it but most they love it. I’ve talked to them. One of my current sups was a driver with me at a different building. Which is why I’m here. All of their advice pretty much says go for it.

Yeah if they offered me 60k I’d be walking out in a heartbeat myself. I know a few of my current sups rough salaries. All of them say do not apply until you hit top rate or you get a lowball offer
And how much college education do you have? They want you to have continued learning if you want to advance up the chain

Ou812fu

Polishing toilet bowls since 1966.

Something tells me you are going to be one of those guys that says they make 85000. Although that 85000 is based off of a mip. That will be non existant in a few years.

Nah
Well they still will need somebody to listen to the conference call.....

There is an easy solution for that as well.

QqkAaj.gif

MisplacedRailWorker

an absolute *ing disgrace of a human being.
Not in operations

driving 8-12hrs a night and being in a building for a preload Full time position is 2 whole different monsters. I’d also be going for driver sup
That was my first question, do you know exactly what positions that you're interested in? I mean there's everything from the center manager you probably hate, to being a driver trainer or feeder instructor. LP apprentice/detective. Safety dept. On-road supervisor. Assistant service center manager.

I always recommend LinkedIn as a valuable tool for identifying people in positions you are interested in, and seeing the path they took and how long and what credentialing they had when they got it. You could even message the person and ask about the position in particular; anyone who creates a LinkedIn is willing to answer questions, it has a Messenger type feature

DRporch

That was my first question, do you know exactly what positions that you're interested in? I mean there's everything from the center manager you probably hate, to being a driver trainer or feeder instructor. LP apprentice/detective. Safety dept. On-road supervisor. Assistant service center manager.

I always recommend LinkedIn as a valuable tool for identifying people in positions you are interested in, and seeing the path they took and how long and what credentialing they had when they got it. You could even message the person and ask about the position in particular; anyone who creates a LinkedIn is willing to answer questions, it has a Messenger type feature
Thank you for some actual insight. I will look at linked in. And ideally I want to go ORS and probably climb when able or switch over to the feeder department and be an ORS there to go the lazy route