Considering making the swap from driver to management

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
As

I want other opinions / viewpoints before I make a huge Career change

I don’t want to go feeders and work night shift
So you take management , and are now supervising people based on strangers advice on the web ,, good luck telling a guy with 30 yrs safe driving what he's doing wrong

MrBates

Have my CDL so feeders is an option. and I hit top rate in a month.
Highly debating swapping to management for more opportunities.
Say it all goes well what would our think is a fair starting salary?
Any tips you have? Anything I should know going in? I’m looking for outsider advice. My best friend is a supervisor so I do know a lot more then most going into it.

I think it all depends on you. Teamster work and Supervisory work are two very different types of hustle. Teamsters make money buy doing the physical work, and Management makes money planning the chess moves. Granted a majority of them play like its checkers, but for the most part, they try.

I've managed before, and all I can tell you is that it wasn't for me. Numbers, goals, action plans, office politics...I hated ALL of it, especially the office politics.

One thing, Everyone I know that went to feeders is fat and happy, like brown Santas.

CHEMA-DELMA

My advice is go to feeder, I took the "tie" back in 1992 because the lowest feeder in my building had 25 years, I had been driving 10 years before I went to UPS, I my CDL. I did all the stints in Feeder, dispatch, trainer, network planner and learned a lot. Got 1 move in my 30 years and it worked out great. I would not do it in today's environment, Pay is not worth the hours you put in, benefits are not as good and the stock program is probably heading south as well. Once they took the turkeys away it all went down hill from there

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
But where?

tenor (20).gif

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
If you care about doing things the right way, and being a decent human being who doesn't have to lie his way through the day just to survive, then I wouldn't recommend management in this company. If all you care about is climbing the corporate ladder and don't have any moral hang ups whatsoever, you could consider this company, but don't expect to go very far if you demonstrate even the least bit of competence at doing the actual job.

I know that sounds like over the top exaggeration, but that is my honest take on the matter. UPS management is a nightmare and very likely unfixable.
It use to not be that way ... can't argue with you about these days.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
It use to not be that way ... can't argue with you about these days.

Our center drove off and forced into retirement anyone who was half competent. The replacements are woefully unqualified, and many are borderline mentally ill. The little contact and information I've seen from district level and above gives me the impression it gets worse the higher up you go. I ran into the same thing at a previous job, swore off management until I could build my own company and call the shots. My sense of morality makes it impossible for me to fit into standard corporate culture. Most guys I know who are decent human beings in management have stress related illnesses and sleep disorders.