Considering not being a package delivery driver

Faceplanted

If you are doing your job correctly , nothing to worry about
I used to think the same. These past 6 months have been horror. Simply for standing up for my self and filing greviences. This new ups is on its way to every hub, you may not see it yet

Nobody in my hub is don pe before 7, most clock out between 8-9

Harassment is out if control

Micromanagement

Union has gotten so weak in just the past year

Wait till the next contract. This is coming from somebody who was a huge optimist

Savvy412

see..what sucks is

your doing all this.....Just for the run around for 4-5 years. Calling in every morning to see if they need you. That weeds out more people then school. The best is when you get that senority in the warehouse. THEN drive

just quit..you got 4 years of being a cover driver..then 4 years of progression. Thats 8-9 years until you are top rate. Im not even being a dick.

Savvy412

see..what sucks is

your doing all this.....Just for the run around for 4-5 years. Calling in every morning to see if they need you. That weeds out more people then school. The best is when you get that senority in the warehouse. THEN drive

just quit..you got 4 years of being a cover driver..then 4 years of progression. Thats 8-9 years until you are top rate. Im not even being a dick.
Out of my whole class..only 1 is driving, and he only does air. Im the only fortunate one that got a full time bid and have my own route.

billerz

Obviously I am looking for feedback. Are drivers constantly under a massive amount of stress? If you could do it all over again would you?
Driving is a stressful job, commit times, telematics, doing a different route almost every day, remembering delivery points, and balancing keeping the customers happy and trying to be as efficient as possible.
With that said I don't regret taking this job at all. I have a well paying job that I can support a family with, I get to work outside and not sit in a cubicle praying for the clock to hit 5.
You just have to remember that all the guys you see driving were once in the same situation your in, and like other people have said, the job only gets easier.

Box Ox

Knowing the ten point commentary, the eight keys to lifting and lowering, the five keys to preventing slips and falls and the backing rules is not enough. We have to be able to rattle off any part of any one of them exactly word for word and if not we get grilled to the nth degree.

A trick that works for me: Thinking about the stuff my office working buddies have to go through for less pay. Office politics, projects, deadlines, presentations, etc etc. And they often have to take their work home with them.

Having to memorize all of the above seems like a high price to pay at first. But you gain perspective as you realize your days fly by and you can leave work at work.

That's my concern. Between the metrics and route mapping the job just seems like a pain in the ass.

Get your 30 in and let management worry about the details if you've done your best. That's all you can do. The natural inclination to worry when you see the map, your load, and EDD lessens with time.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
that is because package drivers are paid 60-100k a year. most of the drivers at my old hub make 100 grand or more a year. plus 30-40k in bennies. so if you want to be the best then suck it up and do the freakin job.

it's like anything in life worth doing. at first it will be difficult but after some time you'll be wondering what the heck you were stressing about because it WILL get easier over time.

good luck.
And how many "years" we're you an actual driver?

I'm betting zero.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I used to think the same. These past 6 months have been horror. Simply for standing up for my self and filing greviences. This new ups is on its way to every hub, you may not see it yet

Nobody in my hub is don pe before 7, most clock out between 8-9

Harassment is out if control

Micromanagement

Union has gotten so weak in just the past year

Wait till the next contract. This is coming from somebody who was a huge optimist
You and your coworkers are the union. Why'd you get weak?

Brownslave688

see..what sucks is

What else are you gonna be doing in 8/9 years that will make you wish you weren't a top rate driver?

I've seen it too many times. The guy making 20k jumps ship for a job making 25k. Then 10 years down the road that 20k could of turned into 100k job. Instead they've jumped from job to job for just a little more and are at 50k

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
What else are you gonna be doing in 8/9 years that will make you wish you weren't a top rate driver?

I've seen it too many times. The guy making 20k jumps ship for a job making 25k. Then 10 years down the road that 20k could of turned into 100k job. Instead they've jumped from job to job for just a little more and are at 50k
We are becoming a society where no one wants to work hard or sacrifice and instant gratification is becoming the norm.

oldngray

nowhere special
We are becoming a society where no one wants to work hard or sacrifice and instant gratification is becoming the norm.
funny-2214.jpg

Brownslave688

Oh trust me I know.

Now I've also had plenty of 22/23 year old say no way man I know how late you guys work and how hard it is. I don't care how much they pay me. No thanks.

I can respect that at least they are honest.

UPSER110

What Kinda of area do you live in? I couldn't imagine working in any city/metro area. In all honesty, the job gets much easier with time. Stay safe and work at a safe pace and they really cant ask any more out of you. Stand up for yourself and don't ever let them disrespect you.

All jobs are gonna suck lol but the pay and benefits are great and there is a decent amount of job security. When we punch out at night we are done, no work to worry about doing at home or some meeting to prepare for the next day. Plus UPS will always look good on a resume if you choose to do something else down the road.

Savvy412

What Kinda of area do you live in? I couldn't imagine working in any city/metro area. In all honesty, the job gets much easier with time. Stay safe and work at a safe pace and they really cant ask any more out of you. Stand up for yourself and don't ever let them disrespect you.

All jobs are gonna suck lol but the pay and benefits are great and there is a decent amount of job security. When we punch out at night we are done, no work to worry about doing at home or some meeting to prepare for the next day. Plus UPS will always look good on a resume if you choose to do something else down the road.

I hear ya...I said the same thing before driving and im smack dab in a metro city. Bicyclist..walkers..traffic EVERYWHERE!! tight tight tight tight streets..but like anything, you get used to it.

Savvy412

20k? try like 10k if they barley work you. Not easy to tell someone to live off that. I understand why people jump ship for a 40k-50k job. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. Some have the luxury to wait..others have kids to feed (NOW)

you know what I mean?

Brownslave688

20k? try like 10k if they barley work you. Not easy to tell someone to live off that. I understand why people jump ship for a 40k-50k job. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. Some have the luxury to wait..others have kids to feed (NOW)

you know what I mean?
No.

Get another job.

Re-Raise

you know what I mean?
Maybe you weren't in the right place in your life to start a family?