Consistently understaffed

Should I just shut up and do my work?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Heyump

Long time listener, first time caller here

I'm a two year loader in a big hub located in the south. Management cuts our staffing to the bare minimum, and even sends people home when we are clearly in need of extra help.

Week after week, we are constantly short and when I speak up I am told that "we're understaffed". Basically, to suck it up and deal with it. Well tonight, I decided to speak up and call my (new) supervisor out for working some hardware pieces.

There is a clear problem when our staffing levels are so atrocious that supervisors feel the need to work along side us.

I do appreciate the help, but I feel like that is kind of a way for them to justify our poor staffing.

I told him that this has been a problem for weeks now, and that I'm tired of being overworked, and it's unfair to everyone on our belt. And if it continues, I would have no choice but to get the union involved and file grievances for him working and poor staffing. I mentioned how it is the company's responsibility to maintain an efficient workforce, as not to unreasonably burden it's employees.

Well, he basically took it as a threat, and said that he would not do anymore of our work. I had a moment later to speak with him and straighten it out. I do not have a problem with him personally, and I understand he is a small fish in a big pond. He seemed to understand and told me that he agrees, but it still seems like he holds a grudge for me standing up for myself.

I'm going to get in touch with my union hall (#509) monday and see what my options are.

I guess my question for the public is what are some proper ways to identify and document supervisor harassment and retaliation?

I show up on time, I work properly and safely, and usually stay until the work is completely finished. I am trying to prepare for the :censored2:storm of pettiness that is probably going to come my way.

So please, any advice on my situation would be appreciated. Thanks for reading and I hope I get a snarky reply from the legendary IVEGOTTAPACKAGE4U

Last edited:

Days

Just keep your mouth shut and work safely. It’s easier said than done though.

Stand up for your fellow teamsters too. Don’t direct your anger at your coworkers.

Also it’s not a valid complaint to be overworked because the only person that is dictating a safe pace is you.

WTFm8

Don’t approach them. Just file and collect $$$.

File for harassment if they say anything negative and file for retaliation if anything suddenly changes in your expected workload.

Use the methods to set your pace. Union doesn’t recognize ‘production standards’.

Heyump

I'm going to consult my union office and see what their advice on the matter is.
They are not very active in our building, so I don't expect much will happen, but I will at least take the advice to file and collect.

I know we loaders are at the bottom of the totem pole but we're treated like cattle in our building. The best horse gets whipped the hardest, I suppose. I'm willing to put the target on back in the hopes that maybe something will change.

If not, oh well, they'll just terminate me. I have kept the job simply because I'm not a quitter. Let come what may

Days

I'm going to consult my union office and see what their advice on the matter is.
They are not very active in our building, so I don't expect much will happen, but I will at least take the advice to file and collect.

I know we loaders are at the bottom of the totem pole but we're treated like cattle in our building. The best horse gets whipped the hardest, I suppose. I'm willing to put the target on back in the hopes that maybe something will change.

If not, oh well, they'll just terminate me. I have kept the job simply because I'm not a quitter. Let come what may

You don’t want to be the best horse, you want to be the horse that isn’t the worst but also not the best. Middle of the pack, forgettable

BigBrown87

If it’s brown, it’s going down
Get a union steward or BA involved if they are working with you, the only person that should be advancing work is you and fellow union workers period. File grievances if this continues have your coworkers be witnesses to this or if they are to afraid to be a witness get a union steward to witness them advancing work in the act. Time, date, and area location will be required on the grievance along with article in the contract they violated. The only thing that will make them stop is when it effects their wallet, trust me and talk to your coworkers and tell them the plan to get staffing back on track.

CoffeeStainedUniform

Long time listener, first time caller here...REALLY long-ass-post...
So...that's a universal state of being for management. That environment will always be there at UPS.

You'll have to figure out how to work hard/efficiently AND tune out the overpressuring garbage. The other option is to quit now so you don't waste any more time working in an ill fitting environment.

Heyump

Get a union steward or BA involved if they are working with you, the only person that should be advancing work is you and fellow union workers period. File grievances if this continues have your coworkers be witnesses to this or if they are to afraid to be a witness get a union steward to witness them advancing work in the act. Time, date, and area location will be required on the grievance along with article in the contract they violated. The only thing that will make them stop is when it effects their wallet, trust me and talk to your coworkers and tell them the plan to get staffing back on track.

Thanks for the appropriate advice, I will be speaking with my shop steward soon and I also plan on bringing a small notebook to document the offenses. I'm going to have to mind my Ps and Qs and not give them any reason to retaliate with write ups

BigBrown87

Thanks for the appropriate advice, I will be speaking with my shop steward soon and I also plan on bringing a small notebook to document the offenses. I'm going to have to mind my Ps and Qs and not give them any reason to retaliate with write ups
Do you know if your steward is a stand up guy or gal? How does he handle management violations in the past? If they are good and will stand up to these issues then I would go to them first and see what their opinions are concerning this issue.

BigBrown87

Once you file do everything by the book, harassment grievances are the hardest to prove from what I have heard from my stewards, usually they move the sup to.a different part of the building to resolve the issue. Yes bring a note pad with but do not write anything in the book while you are on the clock. This would be considered to some management as stealing time, just remember the time, place and supervisor working in what area and write down later.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
It sounds like the makings of a decent shop steward. A good one is worth a million dollars and not appreciated as much as they should be.

I'm a two year loader in a big hub located in the south. Management cuts our staffing to the bare minimum, and even sends people home when we are clearly in need of extra help.

Week after week, we are constantly short and when I speak up I am told that "we're understaffed". Basically, to suck it up and deal with it. Well tonight, I decided to speak up and call my (new) supervisor out for working some hardware pieces.

There is a clear problem when our staffing levels are so atrocious that supervisors feel the need to work along side us.

I do appreciate the help, but I feel like that is kind of a way for them to justify our poor staffing.

I told him that this has been a problem for weeks now, and that I'm tired of being overworked, and it's unfair to everyone on our belt. And if it continues, I would have no choice but to get the union involved and file grievances for him working and poor staffing. I mentioned how it is the company's responsibility to maintain an efficient workforce, as not to unreasonably burden it's employees.

Well, he basically took it as a threat, and said that he would not do anymore of our work. I had a moment later to speak with him and straighten it out. I do not have a problem with him personally, and I understand he is a small fish in a big pond. He seemed to understand and told me that he agrees, but it still seems like he holds a grudge for me standing up for myself.

I'm going to get in touch with my union hall (#509) monday and see what my options are.

I guess my question for the public is what are some proper ways to identify and document supervisor harassment and retaliation?

I show up on time, I work properly and safely, and usually stay until the work is completely finished. I am trying to prepare for the :censored2:storm of pettiness that is probably going to come my way.

So please, any advice on my situation would be appreciated. Thanks for reading and I hope I get a snarky reply from the legendary IVEGOTTAPACKAGE4U
Good job for standing up for yourself. If they think you are a push over, they will screw your eyeballs out. If keeps working, file a grievance, if he harasses you file a grievance.
A few of the good things we got this contract is stronger language on harassment and supervisors doing our work.

Good luck.

WTFm8

If not, oh well, they'll just terminate me.

Then you file on that plus backpay. You need to look more into what it means to have a union job and your protections. Unless you drink/on drugs, steal, or are dishonest, you’re “basically untouchable”. It’s all up to you to file accordingly.

As others would say... management is the enemy, bury them in grievances.

Then you file on that plus backpay. You need to look more into what it means to have a union job and your protections. Unless you drink/on drugs, steal, or are dishonest, you’re “basically untouchable”. It’s all up to you to file accordingly.

As others would say... management is the enemy, bury them in grievances.
Pick and choose your battles wisely.

Dr.Brownz

File on supervisors working and do NOT work harder to make up for their under staffing. Get all your co-workers to do the same and the problem will clear up in 3 months to a year. It sucks but it's the way UPS works. They are reactive, never proactive about problems.