Consolidation Rumors - On Topic

TSGguy

Ignore my TSGguy member name, I signed up to this site over 10 years ago but haven't logged in since then. I've since moved out/up/on from my first job with UPS to become a "partner." Just wondering what others are hearing about the latest consolidation rumors with the management team. Best I can tell TSG is going to get hit pretty hard(again), Marketing is going to get hit pretty hard, and for the first time since I've been around IE is in for a shake up as well.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
i hope they absolutely nuke corporate IE

most of what they put out is total trash

that said, they’re bringing on an absolute ton of people into IE, so the trend would indicate otherwise

Dragon

Package Center Manager
i hope they absolutely nuke corporate IE

most of what they put out is total trash

that said, they’re bringing on an absolute ton of people into IE, so the trend would indicate otherwise

Oh one would only dream that they would get rid of IE but it is not happening. I would be happy if they would just fix the numbers being entered so the right number comes out the other end. I know, it will never happen.

A lot of meetings going on, which is nothing new this time of year. I did hear of another round of buy outs coming though....

tino1

Ignore my TSGguy member name, I signed up to this site over 10 years ago but haven't logged in since then. I've since moved out/up/on from my first job with UPS to become a "partner." Just wondering what others are hearing about the latest consolidation rumors with the management team. Best I can tell TSG is going to get hit pretty hard(again), Marketing is going to get hit pretty hard, and for the first time since I've been around IE is in for a shake up as well.
I heard the same thing the announcement is supposed to be in February

brownalltheway

Getting rid of the Region Offices. Time for the new Transformation head to earn his 31,344 shares of stock handed to him. Yes it invests over five years but 20% just vested for one month of work

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Getting rid of the Region Offices. Time for the new Transformation head to earn his 31,344 shares of stock handed to him. Yes it invests over five years but 20% just vested for one month of work
I was in a Region office for a couple of years.
I was outspoken that I did not think we needed Regions and I wound up on a Corporate team in IE that simplified Work Measurement development and participated in discussions to reduce management levels.
I'm not so sure about the huge Districts we have now but it's possible due to technology and centralized control.

TSGguy

The regions in general need to go. What is the point if there are only two of them? Half of my life in IE is spent on conference calls in which absolutely nothing gets accomplished. One half of those half is a region call, the other half is the same topic but with a corporate audience. Its absolutely ridiculous and prevents us from getting meaningful work accomplished(insert joke about IE here). I also heard about a buyout...anyone over 55 is basically going to be given a bunch of money to walk out the door.

I hate that I put "partner" in quotes but the decisions of the management committee over the last several years has eliminated any idea of this being a partnership.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
You appear too be in the know..How did that 2010 (District Restructuring) go? I remember that there was not too many management employees that jumped on the early retirement package.
A couple thousand was the goal as I remember but UPS did not reach it's goal ... I think 1100 was the final take.
UPS buyouts are usually not very attractive unless you are 55 because the Retirement Plan is written in such a way that there is no way to offer a pension unless one is 55.

I would have taken it but I was red-circled and not offered the buyout (I was 55 at the time).
I worked 3 more years because they excluded me.
Got my buyout anyway! :devil2:

Do you have Mr. Jingles with you?

Delacroix and Jingles-the-green-mile.jpg

Last edited:

Dragon

Package Center Manager
The regions in general need to go. What is the point if there are only two of them? Half of my life in IE is spent on conference calls in which absolutely nothing gets accomplished. One half of those half is a region call, the other half is the same topic but with a corporate audience. Its absolutely ridiculous and prevents us from getting meaningful work accomplished(insert joke about IE here). I also heard about a buyout...anyone over 55 is basically going to be given a bunch of money to walk out the door.

I hate that I put "partner" in quotes but the decisions of the management committee over the last several years has eliminated any idea of this being a partnership.

If you need to accomplish any meaningful work feel free to PM me. I just need a couple of keystrokes on your end, five minutes of work tops and we are good to go. It's a win-win for everyone....

Prediction: "Buyout" offer will be for those currently eligible to retire and are in eligible pension program. Lump-sum payout will be offered if one retires. Discount (the amount they will undervalue the payout amount) will be 5%.

New IRS tables go into effect in 2018 that require companies (like UPS) to use new "longevity" estimates when calculating pension obligations. The new IRS tables account for longer average lifespan, and result in a higher pension obligation (on paper only; the actual future payout really doesn't change). It is less expensive for companies to offer slightly undervalued buyouts than it is to add the funding to the pension plans.

I was impressed to see them add $5B to the pension plans. Granted, they got a tax break doing so "now" (actually in the end of 2017), instead of just kicking the can down the road. But it seems they've decided to keep the defined-plan pensions well funded. Presumably they will continue to offer devalued lump-sum payouts to recent retirees, as it's cheaper for the company than carrying the pension obligation,. It's generally a "bad deal" for the "average" retiree, but it can be a blessing for those with serious health issues, or other dire situations.

Was also impressed to see them give wall street the finger, and do the right thing by investing the money from the new tax plan, instead of pandering to wall street by paying out the extra profit as dividends. Starting to feel like the UPS of old, before the bean counters were running things. Sure, the stock price tanked, but the only reason it popped up to $134 to begin with was pure speculation by wall street that there would be a juicy payout coming.