Continually over 9.5

Rack em

Made the Podium

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Filing on ALL days over 9.5 as harassment seems to bring down the stop counts.
I’d be happy if the BA didn’t say we can’t file for pile on.

They are notorious here for giving you more work if you’re already over 9.5. Oh you’re already over. Go ahead and cover these pick ups and take stops off x driver.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
I know a non favorable interpretation of this language just happened but I have been thinking about how the union should take advantage.

If the company no longer agrees that 3 out of 5 days in one work week meets this language why do we continue to agree that it’s a single work week? Why not go back to filing any time you’re over 3 out of 5 days.

The company could conceivably work someone over thurs,Friday,mon,tues and not violate but that sure sounds like continually over 9.5 to me.

I'm playing devil's advocate here but I read the decision rendered by the arbitrator and honestly, I can't see how the appellant would argue he was continually violated. If I read the facts of the case correctly, being over (1) time in five months is really reaching.

I think the arbitrator's decision would have been quite different had the appellant demonstrated and documented, actual continual excessive overtime. Five months is what, 22-26 weeks or so? I would argue that had the appellant been worked 6-8 times over 9.5 hours during those five months and filed, there would have been a demonstrated AND documented definition of continual and I believe the arbitrator would have ruled in favor of the appellant. There is no history to make the case.

This decision sets us back a bit but if the proverbial ducks were in a row and the I's are dotted, it would be a slam dunk case and one where triple time penalty pay would be paid. Just because we drive trucks and deliver packages for a living does not mean we can't present a good case, we just have to make sure to document everything, all the time, then there will be documented and demonstrated pattern of harassment ie; working over 9.5hrs {continually}

542thruNthru

That was ONE outstanding grievance from 2016. There has been a precedent set that 3 or more days over 9.5 in a week is a paid grievance. Any BA worth a damn can reference previous paid grievances and there's no way an arbitrator would say that all of the sudden things change.

I will agree that there is a precedence set. I know that we (542) have had many grievances paid for just 3 days in a work week and no other violation. We just had 1 last week paid for even less the 90min.

Though if these grievances were all taken to Arbitration I don't know how that would play out with the new ruling. The company has the money to do this. Local unions are not as fortunate.

542thruNthru

I'm playing devil's advocate here but I read the decision rendered by the arbitrator and honestly, I can't see how the appellant would argue he was continually violated. If I read the facts of the case correctly, being over (1) time in five months is really reaching.

I think the arbitrator's decision would have been quite different had the appellant demonstrated and documented, actual continual excessive overtime. Five months is what, 22-26 weeks or so? I would argue that had the appellant been worked 6-8 times over 9.5 hours during those five months and filed, there would have been a demonstrated AND documented definition of continual and I believe the arbitrator would have ruled in favor of the appellant. There is no history to make the case.

This decision sets us back a bit but if the proverbial ducks were in a row and the I's are dotted, it would be a slam dunk case and one where triple time penalty pay would be paid. Just because we drive trucks and deliver packages for a living does not mean we can't present a good case, we just have to make sure to document everything, all the time, then there will be documented and demonstrated pattern of harassment ie; working over 9.5hrs {continually}

Do you mean 6-8 weeks or 6-8 days?

If you mean weeks I disagree. 3 or 4 weeks is excessive and continual in my book.

Though I agree. 1 week and I believe towards the end of the 5 months and he was sent help to make 9.5. I think he was trying to prove a point and it backfired on us all.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

Seems kind of silly to take this case to arbitration when there are many stronger cases to be found

El Correcto

god is dead

They are notorious here for giving you more work if you’re already over 9.5. Oh you’re already over. Go ahead and cover these pick ups and take stops off x driver.
I’d actually be happy with this. I hate 9.5’s that are only an hour or so over a week.

If I’m going to take time to file, I like it to be a couple hundred dollars for my time.

Overpaid Union Thug

He is ignoring crystal clear language in the master contract. I’d bring this to the attention of the local prez. If that doesn’t work then NLRB.

Brownslave688

I’d actually be happy with this. I hate 9.5’s that are only an hour or so over a week.

If I’m going to take time to file, I like it to be a couple hundred dollars for my time.
They like to do this on Thursday and Friday when they’ve kept you under mon,tues,wed

scooby0048

Do you mean 6-8 weeks or 6-8 days?

If you mean weeks I disagree. 3 or 4 weeks is excessive and continual in my book.

Though I agree. 1 week and I believe towards the end of the 5 months and he was sent help to make 9.5. I think he was trying to prove a point and it backfired on us all.
I see the confusion. For this example though, it doesn't matter if it is days or weeks just 6-8 times violated. If the appellant was worked over twice a week it would still equate to three or four weeks being put over. That's excessive no doubt. And, for that he, (appellant) should have been awarded the penalty pay. If the appellant worked over just one day a week, he would be put over 6-8 weeks. That's also excessive when it is roughly 1/4 of the entire time being on the 9.5 list.

For both those examples the appellant was worked roughly 1/4 to 1/5 of the five months which is excessive. The point is, the case presented was abysmally weak and should never have been brought forth and in doing so, it caused an unfavorable arbitration which means from this point on, we will need to document document document to build a strong case.

Brownslave688

That would be so easy to get records for also.

scooby0048

He's wrong.... file on it.
That's great and all to be aggressive and not take no for an answer but what do you do when your BA refuses? Totally unrelated to the 9.5 decision, but we have a route that has been running continually for 60 or so days. Nothing has changed on the route and there has been no one hired specifically for the route.

A driver attempted to file since it has been in existence for that time to be made permanent. Our BA has told the driver to not file the grievance as the company has requested from the union, that we not file for this particular route right at the moment. The route is now posted online to be filled from the outside. So now what?

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
That's great and all to be aggressive and not take no for an answer but what do you do when your BA refuses?

Always write on the grievance "I request to be present at any and all steps of

the grievance procedure"
and tell the BA you expect it to be processed.

After that, contact the principal official and explain the situation and the possibility

of labor board charges for failure of "duty of fair representation".

scooby0048

Always write on the grievance "I request to be present at any and all steps of the grievance procedure" and tell the BA you expect it to be processed.

After that, contact the principal official and explain the situation and the possibility

of labor board charges for failure of "duty of fair representation".

Our principle officer was our BA and our new BA was trained by him. Guess we will see what doesn't happen.

Thanks for the info though.