Contract proposals for 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Ours? No....Not yet anway, because we have a union. Without the union, do you think our wages would have increased since 2008? Have anyone's? I was speaking more in general.
That's the thing though. Wages are starting to creep up and I could see them making a big jump in the next couple of years.

MostHelpNeeded

That's the thing though. Wages are starting to creep up and I could see them making a big jump in the next couple of years.

So......explain to me why we should accept a FT wage freeze then? If they do indeed creep up and make a big jump as you say (and I whole hardheartedly agree they need to) then UPS and every other company will adjust. I'm really confused by your statement

Brownslave688

So......explain to me why we should accept a FT wage freeze then? If they do indeed creep up and make a big jump as you say (and I whole hardheartedly agree they need to) then UPS and every other company will adjust. I'm really confused by your statement
I never said we should

MostHelpNeeded

At what point would the two of you say that enough is enough?

I'd say thay enough is enough when the cost of living stops going up (read: never lol). I'd imagine if we had this conversation back in the earl 90's and we agreed to freeze FT wages at 20/hr because you know....enough is enough, you would not be able to secure the same retirement you are so looking forward to.

If we freeze wages now, the PTers going into the FT positions of tomorrow, will be frozen at todays wages with tomorrows prices. I get it, I do....you see $35/hr with a decent life, your paid off condo and say hey, that's a lot of money. What are you going to sell that condo for, if you don't mind? Try to pay that price making 20-25/hr today and have enough left over to live. See how far that gets you.

Brownslave688

At what point would the two of you say that enough is enough?
As long as we are making record profits and delivering record volume never.

When adjusted for inflation it's not like we make drastically more than 30 years ago. For every 30 year driver who has their house paid off and their kids are gone and their bills are greatly reduced who thinks $35 an hour is crazy money. There is a 30 year old newbie making under $20 an hour struggling to pay rent school loans and a kid on the way. Who is buying his time to hit top scale so he can get ahead finally.

But you got yours so who cares right.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I'd say thay enough is enough when the cost of living stops going up (read: never lol). I'd imagine if we had this conversation back in the earl 90's and we agreed to freeze FT wages at 20/hr because you know....enough is enough, you would not be able to secure the same retirement you are so looking forward to.

If we freeze wages now, the PTers going into the FT positions of tomorrow, will be frozen at todays wages with tomorrows prices. I get it, I do....you see $35/hr with a decent life, your paid off condo and say hey, that's a lot of money. What are you going to sell that condo for, if you don't mind? Try to pay that price making 20-25/hr today and have enough left over to live. See how far that gets you.

$20-25/hr would be more than enough to qualify for a mortgage for my condo.

Status
Not open for further replies.