Contract talks !!!!!! STRIKE !!!!!!

Asskicker

That's really not true. I've researched this and at least for the part-timers who have a pension from the company and not the Union...our pension is there and will be there even if the company goes belly up. (which won't happen). Those financial reports that they mail to you every year shows the amount of money invested in the pension fund, and if you look up the ERISA Law they have to provide that pension. This law was passed to protect the pensions of the people who have earned them. Check into this and you'll see for yourself. On the other hand if the Union goes bust...the full timers are in deep ****! So again I think the Union needs to do their job or start putting a bounty out on MR HOFFA's HEAD.

reydluap

'kicker, Calm down a bit. You're new here. It will be alright. Four post back to back ranting is not going to impress to many people. Sit back and READ some some of these threads here on BrownCafe all of the way through. It will enlighten you with information from many perspectives. BREATH DEEP....EXHALE..... NOW BREATH DEEP AGAIN......EXHALE........you're getting it.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
You know why the company has lost eight driving jobs jackass, because UPS is breaking out routes and sending drivers out with twelve hour loads instead of eight and then saying they have eliminated so many routes because of the recession. It's all a game and UPS can absolutely compete with FED EX. Fed Ex has millions of dollars in debt which at some point will catch up to them. Ups is pretty much a Monopoly when it comes to international and overnight delivery. I believe we are a monopoly in Europe. Where are you getting your poor UPS bs? Or are you a management person in disguise? And by the way...companies love their drivers and are very loyal to them. They aren't going to just jump ship. They had to find alternatives during the strike of 97 but have they not all pretty much returned? UPS is making billions. Do you read their financial reports. Wake up!!

FedEx is the largest overnight international shipper. I agree with u mostly but we are far from a monopoly.

brown_trousers

FedEx is the largest overnight international shipper. I agree with u mostly but we are far from a monopoly.

True. But it should also be pointed out that FedEx would not be the largest overnight shipper they are today, without the help of UPS going on strike a few times. We helped Fedex grow into the business it has become!

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

True. But it should also be pointed out that FedEx would not be the largest overnight shipper they are today, without the help of UPS going on strike a few times. We helped Fedex grow into the business it has become!

FedEx invented over night shipping. I could be wrong but I think they have always been the biggest. If anything customer service is most important on time sensitive materials and FedEx has helped us grow that part of our business.

beentheredonethat

How many young kids you think will work here if they have to pay $100 a month for health insurance? Some people work here as a second job just for the insurance. They bust their ass for this company and many health problems are a result of this type of work. Just remember what people at ... say McDonalds are doing. Pressing a picture of a hamburger on a cash register for almost the same amount of money as these guys are making loading and sorting CONSTANTLY for four or five hours a night. Very physically demanding and the starting wage has gone up only 50 cents in the last THIRTY YEARS!!!! UPS has plenty of volume and it is coming back. It's already much heavier then when the market crashed. They want to scare you into thinking they are losing all of this work. Bull**** people!!!! Fed EX is really the only major competitor out there and they have been heard to be in major debt. Who knows how much longer they will survive. Don't settle people. UPS isn't going anywhere or closing any doors.

If I'm not mistaken, it was 90 not 100, but that was for a family (with children cost). Not a lot of the young kids you refer to have a family with children. However, there are some that work PT for the benefits only for thier spouse and children. For those who research the cost of H&W that is still a bargain, vs paying 100% of it out of your pocket.
Also, how many people here really believe that FDX is in trouble and that they possibly won't survive. I know most of the hard core won't believe anyone from mgmt. Do yourself a favor go to a financial advisor and ask them if they think FDX will survive or not. I would guess that 100 out of 100 will say they will survive and thrive (with the assumption, that no major laws change to impact their business plan).

beentheredonethat

I also hope we don't strike. I lived through the 97 strike and my spouse also works for UPS. Three weeks without pay at all to get more full time jobs and hall doesn't uphold the contract we stood on picket lines to get. Hmmmmm....I don't trust him or Hoffa. Politics. Let's make the Union do their damn job everybody!!!
You bring up an excellent point. Back in 97, the main sticking point is the UPS wanted to take over the pension funds, (like we recently did for both New England pension fund and for Central states). UPS knew that the funds were mismanaged and due to the laws out there, they were liable for bad investments in those funds. The teamsters sold it as FT jobs. But as you said, if the 22.3 jobs were so darned important that they were willing to strike over it, why then are they not that important to enforce the contract? The reason.... it wasn't really about the 22.3 jobs, the main issue was control of the pension.

beentheredonethat

Fed Ex has millions of dollars in debt which at some point will catch up to them. ... Wake up!!
You need to do some more research, based on FDX's annual balance sheet, they have over 15 BILLION in liabilities, of that 1.2 Billion is in long term debt.
FDX Balance Sheet | FedEx Corporation Common Stock Stock - Yahoo! Finance
However, UPS has 27 BILLION in liabilities, of that 11 BILLION is in long term debt. So.. I don't see debt hurting FDX more then it will hurt UPS.
UPS Balance Sheet | United Parcel Service, Inc. Com Stock - Yahoo! Finance

beentheredonethat

Ups is pretty much a Monopoly when it comes to international and overnight delivery. I believe we are a monopoly in Europe. Where are you getting your poor UPS bs? ... Wake up!!
In Europe DHL has 39% of the market, If UPS had acquired TNT, the combined company would still have been smaller (in europe) then DHL. The combined company would have been 35%. You need to do more research.

beentheredonethat

FDX is the largest overnight shipper, DHL is the largest International shipper. UPS is the largest overall shipper. (Technically they are all carriers, not shippers, but I wanted to use the same lingo as the original poster).

QKRSTKR

You bring up an excellent point. Back in 97, the main sticking point is the UPS wanted to take over the pension funds, (like we recently did for both New England pension fund and for Central states). UPS knew that the funds were mismanaged and due to the laws out there, they were liable for bad investments in those funds. The teamsters sold it as FT jobs. But as you said, if the 22.3 jobs were so darned important that they were willing to strike over it, why then are they not that important to enforce the contract? The reason.... it wasn't really about the 22.3 jobs, the main issue was control of the pension.

But UPS also came to the table with their "first, best, final offer" . Not to smart.