Contract talks !!!!!! STRIKE !!!!!!

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
Page 20 of this thread is doing what the company wants the pt'ers vs the ft'ers We are one union one voice we need to tell the company loud and clear we will not take their stupid offer or any concession for that matter .The company is profitable and the IBT members contributed to a large part of that profit and we deserve our piece of the pie !

NorCalSaint

If a strike happens I think the union is dead... UPS will also take a huge hit on volume/customers but in the end will still be here.

Just my 2c from a non-union/non manage position. 17 years with brown

InsideUPS

Page 20 of this thread is doing what the company wants the pt'ers vs the ft'ers We are one union one voice we need to tell the company loud and clear we will not take their stupid offer or any concession for that matter .The company is profitable and the IBT members contributed to a large part of that profit and we deserve our piece of the pie !

Take heart PT Stewie...... the "young" eventually will learn except when it comes time for voting. The part-timers have no one but themselves to blame for their wages, benefits, etc......considering they consist of the majority vote.

InsideUPS

If a strike happens I think the union is dead... UPS will also take a huge hit on volume/customers but in the end will still be here.

Just my 2c from a non-union/non manage position. 17 years with brown

Prior to any type of strike action..... I truly believe there are a number of tactics that our Union could use to "negotiate"

1) Slowdown? Wiki Definition: A slowdown may be used as either a prelude or an alternative to a strike, as it is seen as less disruptive as well as less risky and costly for workers and their union. Striking workers usually go unpaid and risk being replaced, so a slowdown is seen as a way to put pressure on management while avoiding these outcomes.

Slowdown - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2) Immediate ENFORCEMENT of Existing Contract. (EVERY driver call in over 70's..etc.) (Massive filing of grievances...harassment, 9.5's, supervisors working, etc...

3) Begin a negative PR campaign showing UPS as the poster child of "Corporate Greed". Quite easy considering part-time wages, etc...

3) Working without a contract.

4) Just the threat of the strike will send our stock price plummeting.....giving our Board of Directors and Atlanta management a whole NEW reason to settle the contract in a fair and equitable manner.

Please people.....I love the enthusiasm but there are smarter alternatives at this time other than discussing the sole likelihood of a strike action...

UPS Preloader

Take heart PT Stewie...... the "young" eventually will learn except when it comes time for voting. The part-timers have no one but themselves to blame for their wages, benefits, etc......considering they consist of the majority vote.

I've only been involved in voting on one contract and I couldn't agree more. Many of the part timers in this company just can't wait to go home everyday. We are our own worst enemies. I'm hoping that with UPS proposing we start paying for our health insurance that the PT's will wake up. Most of the PT's, myself included are here for the bennies. I hope this approach back fires on UPS. If one person in each building could take charge and assemble the troops we can win this battle.

anonymous4

To me this is like playing chicken. Who will ultimately flinch? My guess, UPS. They are in the business of mass profit. A strike is a huge hit to that and possibly catastrophic. We need to stand firm and we will get what we want. They are way too profitable right now to risk it all over concessions. This is going to be a game of testing to see what they can actually get, I hope we aren't stupid enough to fall for it. This is OUR time to TAKE.

TxRoadDawg

I'll get paid either way, but my center I bet maybe 5 full time drivers could walk away right now, the rest are slaves to the 3 cars boat 2 jet skis 5 bed 4 bath house on the hill mortgages. Chance of a strike lasting over a paycheck, slim to none.

InsideUPS

I'll get paid either way, but my center I bet maybe 5 full time drivers could walk away right now, the rest are slaves to the 3 cars boat 2 jet skis 5 bed 4 bath house on the hill mortgages. Chance of a strike lasting over a paycheck, slim to none.

As a part-time supervisor, please do not be naive enough to think that your pay is guaranteed either way........besides....it really does not appear that you are very happy at UPS being a part-time supervisor..

TxRoadDawg - "Simple question since we are all salary. Would you rather finish your stuff and go versus being stuck for 5.5 hours a day doing whatever. After years of 2% raises only incentive I have to work faster is to leave sooner. Doesn't make any sense personally to bust everything out then get fed a line of 'well your done early, go help sluggo do their job' until your 5.5 is over. This ESPECIALLY after getting the weekly "NO UNAPPROVED EXTRA TIME" mantra"

beentheredonethat

I agree PT pay rate should increase, but to think that a PT person loading a trailer, or unloading a trailer or loading a package car etc should make the same as a driver, who interacts with the public, is the face of UPS, has to be out in hot weather\freezing cold weather\rain\snow etc. All while driving a vehicle.......That's ridiculous.

rudy5150

Corporate profits are at an all time high and employee pay is at an all time low. Hopefully Hall and Hoffa know this:happy-very:

Since the new hire part timers wont get more than 30 hrs a week what if they go under obamacare and start at $11 an hour for 1st 2 yrs at UPS then after that go under the cadillac plan. That would give the new hires their higher starting wage, help ups save $, and allow for current teamsters to keep their current insurance at no extra cost and continue with their yearly raises. Its a win win for everyone

TxRoadDawg

As a part-time supervisor, please do not be naive enough to think that your pay is guaranteed either way........besides....it really does not appear that you are very happy at UPS being a part-time supervisor..

TxRoadDawg - "Simple question since we are all salary. Would you rather finish your stuff and go versus being stuck for 5.5 hours a day doing whatever. After years of 2% raises only incentive I have to work faster is to leave sooner. Doesn't make any sense personally to bust everything out then get fed a line of 'well your done early, go help sluggo do their job' until your 5.5 is over. This ESPECIALLY after getting the weekly "NO UNAPPROVED EXTRA TIME" mantra"

I'm realistic about what my job is and how things sit Inside. Regardless of whether I work or not it doesn't change the fact that I personally believe the majority of drivers could not weather a strike over a few weeks long financially.

UPS Preloader

I agree PT pay rate should increase, but to think that a PT person loading a trailer, or unloading a trailer or loading a package car etc should make the same as a driver, who interacts with the public, is the face of UPS, has to be out in hot weather\freezing cold weather\rain\snow etc. All while driving a vehicle.......That's ridiculous.

The PT's are under paid. As you stated we are not the public face, but I feel we work just as hard if not harder, only for a shorter period of time. We too are exposed to the excessive heat and humidity as well as the extreme cold of the winters all while being overly harassed and supervised by the PT Sups. That said, as a PT Preloader do I feel we should be paid the same as the FT drivers? No, but we are underpaid for what they expect us to do!

Last edited:

anonymous4

Yeah, they are called full-time inside workers guys. Pull your head out. They make close to what you make for doing menial, pathetic stuff like putting packages in a truck. Meanwhile, the part-timer working alongside the full-timer is making $20 less/hour. Some of you...

beentheredonethat

Those FT inside workers are relatively rare compared to PT hourlies. BTW, As if it's not apparent, I'm not a driver. I am a manager. So the pay is quite different then mine.

QKRSTKR

I'm sorry, what????? You want $32/hr to put packages on to a truck???

You get paid $32 an hour to drive around and walk packages up to houses? Slippery slope.

that is what I always thought especially when I was on o.t. $45 bucks an hr just to walk this package to this porch lol.

Now get paid to touch no packages, just drive. Wow.

purplesky

We are not going to strike people. UPS is just throwing crap out here to scare people. IT SEEMS TO BE WORKING.

They always play this game during contract time. UPS and the Teamsters both have way too much to lose to allow a strike.