Cord cutters unite!

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
I still remember watching squiggly line adult movies on the old cable box that was plugged in. If you moved the one switch the right way......boom!
B2D7EF12-295C-415E-97ED-68109FB1A8AA.jpeg

One of these bad boys.

LarryBird

So how exactly do you go about dropping cable/directv for streaming services? Which ones besides Netflix are best?

Comcast is a major wi/fi provider in my area, and when I contacted them for new high speed internet for Netflix, so I could drop directv. They made it seem like I wasn't gonna save a dime, and tried to sway me over to them combined with Netflix and the high speed plus landline telephone for about what I pay for directv. This was a 2 yr promotional price, and it would rise after that initial period.

I think they had me around $150 all in, cable with hbo/showtime, Netflix, high speed, and landline. I think I pay about $170 for directv.

I barely watch tv, outside of documentaries on hbo/showtime, and some of their original programming. Netflix with hbo and showtime streaming would seem perfect for my house. I want to save money and have more choices.

Help me.

LarryBird

I haven’t even sat down to figure out how to digitize my CDs. I have no idea how to stream anything I’ll keep my Hulu for awhile. Lol.
I did this a few years back, probably 5 or so. It's not as time consuming as you might expect. You can do other things while you do it too, so you don't have to just sit there and devote hours to music conversion. You just gotta have a laptop in your vicinity and periodically pop discs in and go about your business.

I converted about a thousand CDs or so, I'm gonna estimate, over the course of 3 or 4 weekends. It was the best thing I ever did. I dont even have my physical music collection in my possession anymore and haven't since. Makes playing music so much easier, as you can just plug in your laptop or whatever device into your stereo or bluetooth speaker and have everything at your fingertips. No more changing discs or cycling through cd changers, or at least not as much, since I do still throw a disc on on the rare occasions.

Eat Sleep Fish

Jig Master
So how exactly do you go about dropping cable/directv for streaming services? Which ones besides Netflix are best?

Comcast is a major wi/fi provider in my area, and when I contacted them for new high speed internet for Netflix, so I could drop directv. They made it seem like I wasn't gonna save a dime, and tried to sway me over to them combined with Netflix and the high speed plus landline telephone for about what I pay for directv. This was a 2 yr promotional price, and it would rise after that initial period.

I think they had me around $150 all in, cable with hbo/showtime, Netflix, high speed, and landline. I think I pay about $170 for directv.

I barely watch tv, outside of documentaries on hbo/showtime, and some of their original programming. Netflix with hbo and showtime streaming would seem perfect for my house. I want to save money and have more choices.

Help me.
Just tell them you want their internet only. There could be options for you in that department depending on your location. My parents have ATT internet and it's really good. Better than my Spectrum internet.

Plug a Roku, Fire Stick, or Apple TV to your hdmi port on your tv. Set it up and download the app for whatever you plan on streaming through. It's hulu in my case. Open the app and register. The apps are free. Hulu gives a 7 day free trial but you still have to pick a package and set up your payment info. This is all rather straight forward.

If you don't want to go that route you could always just go buy you an indoor hd antenna such as the Mohu Leaf. Plugs into your coax port on your tv. It's very thin and light and costs about $50. No monthly fees but will only be able to watch local channels. Go to disablemycable.com. From there you will be able to click a link that takes you to an FCC website. Enter your zip code or address and it will show you how many channels you can pick up with an antenna. Good luck. It's worth it unless you like flushing your money down the toilet every month.

LarryBird

Just tell them you want their internet only. There could be options for you in that department depending on your location. My parents have ATT internet and it's really good. Better than my Spectrum internet.

Plug a Roku, Fire Stick, or Apple TV to your hdmi port on your tv. Set it up and download the app for whatever you plan on streaming through. It's hulu in my case. Open the app and register. The apps are free. Hulu gives a 7 day free trial but you still have to pick a package and set up your payment info. This is all rather straight forward.

If you don't want to go that route you could always just go buy you an indoor hd antenna such as the Mohu Leaf. Plugs into your coax port on your tv. It's very thin and light and costs about $50. No monthly fees but will only be able to watch local channels. Go to disablemycable.com. From there you will be able to click a link that takes you to an FCC website. Enter your zip code or address and it will show you how many channels you can pick up with an antenna. Good luck. It's worth it unless you like flushing your money down the toilet every month.
Thanks for the response. I have one of those HD antennas. I bought it a few years back and never tried it out - it's still in the box. Dropping directv has been an ongoing desire of mine, but I just never seem to make the leap.

I just gotta call them and cancel it. That will light a fire under my ass to figure it out. It doesn’t seem like I could go wrong with Netflix - everyone I talked to who has it loves it.

Anything is better than directv or cable. Nothing is more obnoxious than having hundreds of channels, and not one of them having anything I want to watch on them. That's actually what bothers me - not the $150 for tv. I'd gladly pay whatever, if they had better programming. But they haven't had their feet held to the fire long enough by the streaming services yet, so they don't really give a :censored2: to get better.

Eat Sleep Fish

Jig Master
Thanks for the response. I have one of those HD antennas. I bought it a few years back and never tried it out - it's still in the box. Dropping directv has been an ongoing desire of mine, but I just never seem to make the leap.

I just gotta call them and cancel it. That will light a fire under my ass to figure it out. It doesn’t seem like I could go wrong with Netflix - everyone I talked to who has it loves it.

Anything is better than directv or cable. Nothing is more obnoxious than having hundreds of channels, and not one of them having anything I want to watch on them. That's actually what bothers me - not the $150 for tv. I'd gladly pay whatever, if they had better programming. But they haven't had their feet held to the fire long enough by the streaming services yet, so they don't really give a :censored2: to get better.
I, too, went on for far too long and just decided enough was enough. You want to do it, so just do it. They are feeling the heat I tell ya. They are laying ATT fiber out in my town. Soon I won't have ANY interest in Spectrum and that's a good thing.