Corporate Greed, Spineless Union

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Remember this thread when everyone says there’s no volume and people are being laid off. If you’re low in seniority, I’m not actually sure why you wouldn’t want to work for OT all day.

Whither

Scofflaw
Remember this thread when everyone says there’s no volume and people are being laid off. If you’re low in seniority, I’m not actually sure why you wouldn’t want to work for OT all day.

Some of us enjoy our time off and are capable of budgeting even without making top scale ... This is pure company talk -- "Oh, you don't like working 6 days a week -- see how you like being laid off!" Though if my center mgr said anything like that, I'd say heck yes, I'm filing for unemployment :thumbup::thumbup:

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Some of us enjoy our time off and are capable of budgeting even without making top scale ... This is pure company talk -- "Oh, you don't like working 6 days a week -- see how you like being laid off!" Though if my center mgr said anything like that, I'd say heck yes, I'm filing for unemployment :thumbup::thumbup:
Company talk? Hardly.

Most of the posts I see on here are how Amazon is moving volume, no more flowers to deliver, we’re losing accounts left and right, UPS is taking our OT away.

If you’re ok not working Saturday’s and are financially stable, good on you. I’m doing fine myself, but I also have kids that are in college, of which I fully paid for myself in cash and understand working half as hard for 50% more pay is “easy money”. My comment is mainly referring to “make hay while the sun is shining” meaning the pendulum will swing in the other direction soon, how it will effect you will be up to how you handle yourself in the current environment

Rack em

Made the Podium
Comes down to supplement language. Look for ‘work day’ and ‘work week’ language.

Many say a work week is 5 consecutive days. You can only be forced in for 6th punch for air-only under art40. They have to post for volunteers then force bottom up.
I believe that it has to be a holiday as well, not just an air day on Saturday.

Saca La

What is it?

I’m with you on this one. When work really slows down. Everyone is going to complain there is not enough work. While I take advantage of this over time.

Whither

Scofflaw
Company talk? Hardly.

Most of the posts I see on here are how Amazon is moving volume, no more flowers to deliver, we’re losing accounts left and right, UPS is taking our OT away.

If you’re ok not working Saturday’s and are financially stable, good on you. I’m doing fine myself, but I also have kids that are in college, of which I fully paid for myself in cash and understand working half as hard for 50% more pay is “easy money”. My comment is mainly referring to “make hay while the sun is shining” meaning the pendulum will swing in the other direction soon, how it will effect you will be up to how you handle yourself in the current environment

I understood your point. Nevertheless, working 6 days a week close to your max DOT hours for months on end is a legitimate safety hazard. We are human beings. The company wants tireless machines.

Yesterday I was waiting outside the office to get my first warning letter. Spoke with a younger driver with less than 2 years seniority who was on deck. Turns out he was there to give his notice (with the steward present), was sick and tired of the 6 day weeks. Several fellow low-seniority drivers are teetering on the edge.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Yesterday I was waiting outside the office to get my first warning letter. Spoke with a younger driver with less than 2 years seniority who was on deck. Turns out he was there to give his notice (with the steward present), was sick and tired of the 6 day weeks. Several fellow low-seniority drivers are teetering on the edge.

That's a generational issue.

Imagine how many would leave, if they couldn't have their cell phone with them.

The company wants tireless machines.

They take advantage of the people.... that let them.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Your kids couldn't be bothered to work and pay for their own school? Scholarships?

Damn kids have it easy these days. ;)
My kids worked to get the requirements for HOPE scholarship, requires 3.0 and two advanced courses in HS. They also both had been working PT throughout HS, saving half their checks in savings so in college they have spending money budgeted every month so they aren’t required to work. Both have had checking/savings accounts since 15, both paid for half their used cars. My daughter will graduate with her bachelors in 3 years as she took enough AP courses to cut a full year off her college. Son will be starting his freshman year this year.

I’d say they’ve put enough skin in the game for me to pay the rest of the tuition/room/board.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
My kids had to work their way thru college like I did. We helped with books and minor expenses . A couple are in the Air Force and are going to have their college paid for them that way. I went to community college for 2 years and then transferred to a University in Boston. Worked a full time schedule the whole time. The quality education you get at a state or community college or an Ivy League school depends on the student.
Kids these days are too coddled and are weaker for it. i pounded in my kids' heads from an early age that if they wanted anything in this world they would have to work for it.

FUH

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I understood your point. Nevertheless, working 6 days a week close to your max DOT hours for months on end is a legitimate safety hazard. We are human beings. The company wants tireless machines.

If I’m working 6 day weeks for longer than December I’ll just go be a heavy machinery op

Brownslave688

So which is it? You want it both ways here.

I've spoken with most of the senior drivers in my center re: forced 6 days. They think it's outrageous too, and more than a couple have been surprised to learn that our contract does not prohibit it outside of peak.
The only difference most of the time is the older drivers feel they too many years in to start over.

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
Probably because Sat delivery has never affected them at all?

You didn't answer my question. Are the kids lazy ingrates (because they don't want 6 day schedules)? Or are they brown-nosing runner-gunner stooges happy to slave for the company?
How about some balance???? Speaking as a lazy, entitled millennial, I don’t mind staying out late a couple nights a week. I don’t mind working a 6th punch every couple of months, and all of December. It’s the feeling of being run down and not having control over your life that is difficult. Has nothing to do with a lack of desire to work hard and sacrifice.

Brownslave688

My kids had to work their way thru college like I did. We helped with books and minor expenses . A couple are in the Air Force and are going to have their college paid for them that way. I went to community college for 2 years and then transferred to a University in Boston. Worked a full time schedule the whole time. The quality education you get at a state or community college or an Ivy League school depends on the student.
Kids these days are too coddled and are weaker for it. i pounded in my kids' heads from an early age that if they wanted anything in this world they would have to work for it.

FUH
Is there a pole waiting for the grandkids too?