Corporate Greed, Spineless Union

ski or die

Ski or Die
Whenever anyone complains about this, remember the cause: apathy and ignorance. Even though it was voted no the overall voter turnout, at least in my local, was pathetic. Half didn't know what was going on and the other half didn't seem to care.
Many of the drivers vote, but a substantial number do not bother, just like our political elections. Add in the part time hub employees that are working their way thru college and are not concerned with the issues affecting package car drivers and they do not bother to vote but they are considered into the percentage to meet to vote down a contract. Hopeless situation.

Justaloader

Many of the drivers vote, but a substantial number do not bother, just like our political elections. Add in the part time hub employees that are working their way thru college and are not concerned with the issues affecting package car drivers and they do not bother to vote but they are considered into the percentage to meet to vote down a contract. Hopeless situation.

Add to that a number of folks that simply don't understand the situation and what's being voted on, and have no idea whom to talk to in order to get the facts so that they can be "informed" and then vote accordingly.....

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Our hub decided to jack up the number of ground routes running on Saturday’s by 30-35. There aren’t enough cover drivers to run them all, because of the current number of ground and air routes already running. The company is posting a volunteer sheet, which nobody signed and are forcing bottom up with no regards to days worked or part time or full time positions. Six day punches will be forced and the union said they won’t do a thing to stop it. Company said if they don’t have enough covers or 22.4s (which we haven’t started yet) then full time drivers will be forced in. We no longer have Tuesday-Saturday full time routes, they were rotated back to Monday-Friday to accommodate 22.4s. If the company is required to notify you 48 hours in advance if you’re scheduled can there be any discipline if you simply don’t pick up the phone? Also can you be forced to work a six day punch outside of peak season? I’ve seen some drivers disciplined, some not. The union and company are of course intentionally vague to scare you into coming in.
Ha ha, sucks to be them! The union has nothing to say about it.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I understood your point. Nevertheless, working 6 days a week close to your max DOT hours for months on end is a legitimate safety hazard. We are human beings. The company wants tireless machines.

Yesterday I was waiting outside the office to get my first warning letter. Spoke with a younger driver with less than 2 years seniority who was on deck. Turns out he was there to give his notice (with the steward present), was sick and tired of the 6 day weeks. Several fellow low-seniority drivers are teetering on the edge.
I honestly do not get it. Before UPS ( age 37 ) I worked 70-80 hours a week and sometimes more. Worked the crop seasons In California for years. Tomato , onion , almond etc. which was 7 days a week 12 hours a day. No hours of service regs for under 100 air miles ( that may be diff now )

anyways working for UPS had been practically a semi-vacation in comparison. Averaged 55-60 hours after I got bid runs for almost my whole career.With a disabled spouse who could not work and 6 kids , had no choice .

MattM

Why not hire more drivers?

my area is in a hiring freeze but are essentially forcing OT out of the few they have.

But then they DQ guys for the weirdest stuff

My air building has 15 guys who want to drive but can’t even latch on. They’re either guaranteed 70 hours a week, or drive for one or two days for 8 hours. Why is asking for consistency that hard?

Why not hire more drivers?

my area is in a hiring freeze but are essentially forcing OT out of the few they have.

But then they DQ guys for the weirdest stuff

My air building has 15 guys who want to drive but can’t even latch on. They’re either guaranteed 70 hours a week, or drive for one or two days for 8 hours. Why is asking for consistency that hard?
It sucks being at the bottom. We all went through it.

542thruNthru

They could have been more clear on the 22.4 language. There why I voted no.

Its strange to see so many supplmentals/Riders that have little to no language for 22.4s. I remember talking to Andy M after a contract meeting. He mentioned how some areas were riding the vote NO so hard that they were failing to put language in place for 22.4s and that if it passed they were going to have a lot of issues.

Don't know if that's what happen but it sure looks like it in some places.

Its strange to see so many supplmentals/Riders that have little to no language for 22.4s. I remember talking to Andy M after a contract meeting. He mentioned how some areas were riding the vote NO so hard that they were failing to put language in place for 22.4s and that if it passed they were going to have a lot of issues.

Don't know if that's what happen but it sure looks like it in some places.
I'm sure more confusion is to come shortly after we get 22.4 drivers everywhere

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Our hub decided to jack up the number of ground routes running on Saturday’s by 30-35. There aren’t enough cover drivers to run them all, because of the current number of ground and air routes already running. The company is posting a volunteer sheet, which nobody signed and are forcing bottom up with no regards to days worked or part time or full time positions. Six day punches will be forced and the union said they won’t do a thing to stop it. Company said if they don’t have enough covers or 22.4s (which we haven’t started yet) then full time drivers will be forced in. We no longer have Tuesday-Saturday full time routes, they were rotated back to Monday-Friday to accommodate 22.4s. If the company is required to notify you 48 hours in advance if you’re scheduled can there be any discipline if you simply don’t pick up the phone? Also can you be forced to work a six day punch outside of peak season? I’ve seen some drivers disciplined, some not. The union and company are of course intentionally vague to scare you into coming in.

Welcome to the New UPS, you can thank e-commerce...no more M-friend on this job.

542thruNthru

Well I guess at the end of April you and every other driver start filing Article 22.4 grievances.

542thruNthru

I rarely agree with you but with this I do. People could not see the writing on the wall???
I warned about this years ago. Way before I retired 4 years ago.

7SUTwut.gif

Misthios

I love my job. Don't you?
follow Orion 100% , I bet they won’t need you on Saturday ever again

My favorite thing to do every saturday when I worked them. Go ahead and ride with me. We will be out all night no worries. Loved it before the navigation because hell I had no idea where I was for a better portion of the day.