Country Bound

Wilson1397

Half the lies they tell about me aren't true!!
It takes awhile to get used to the windshield time as opposed to town routes but once you do, it is like night and day. Most afternoons I just feel like I’m out for a nice ride around the country.

baklava

I don’t work at UPS anymore.
So I got the call and my transfer is final. Getting out of this excrement-hole city and being moved to the country. Any advice from you rural drivers you can dish out that aren’t so obvious to this driver whose only delivered in the city? Btw I’ve lived in the sticks before so I know what it’s like. Just work advice would be awesome. Thanks everybody!
Dude, congrats!

I don’t have any advice but I do have a question: did you need to drop down to a 22.4?

G.V. Rush

All Encompassing Member
I may be wrong but I don't believe the master says that. You may be thinking of your supplemental.
Not sure why I said master. Your correct I meant nor cal. Either way I’m wrong. But no 22.4 in the new building so good for now. Maybe. Either way I’ll keep my pay and that’s good enough for me

Not sure why I said master. Your correct I meant nor cal. Either way I’m wrong. But no 22.4 in the new building so good for now. Maybe. Either way I’ll keep my pay and that’s good enough for me
Is your medical the same at your new building as your old one?

El Correcto

god is dead
So I got the call and my transfer is final. Getting out of this excrement-hole city and being moved to the country. Any advice from you rural drivers you can dish out that aren’t so obvious to this driver whose only delivered in the city? Btw I’ve lived in the sticks before so I know what it’s like. Just work advice would be awesome. Thanks everybody!
establish dominance early
Show up early to clock some grievances on any supervisors working preload.
Make insulting nicknames for your supervisors and never learn their real ones.
Have one or two of your thirty co workers come bail you out everyday while setting your performance bar extremely low.

Just focus on establishing and maintaining your dominance. The dogs on your route will smell the alpha pheromones and leave you be.

Ancient Alien

UPS Vacation
Try & get as much information/area knowledge as you can from the previous driver or the covers. It is easier than what Rod had it as far as there are street names & addresses now. However, about 50% more stops than Rod had too. So gather any tips you can, such as leave the 'shag' for the McDonald farm at the country store in town and call leave message or leave package(s) under can at top of driveway and USE flag stops on extended for any pickups, that's against the rules in the city, but you're on your own in the bush . Also get with postal carriers and post offices for info. A lot will let you slip it into the mail box which is also against the rules... yet, you do what you gotta do to avoid getting stuck. In the old days you could be in town and find a customer that is a later 30-mile shag on your route. What you did back then was just cut the 1Z-label off and drive around looking at the wild life and/or swimming and just pop a scan on it an hour later and D.R. it. Not as simple anymore so know where your GPS doesn't get service. Also drive the speed limit back to the building. This eliminates having to help any intown drivers. Watch out for blind 90-degree turns on gravel roads. You can happen on this quickly doing 45-50. Always keep a stash of emergency supplies in your truck and when they slash routes in fall always have warm clothes, boots, coat. You might walk in wearing shorts and shirt jack and they decided to put your route back in to the woods at 30-degree weather and 1' of snow. Trust no one!

Most important of all just starting out is keep your wheels moving. Don't sit on the roadside looking at maps or your phone. Keep driving and you'll happen upon a lot of stops. Always keep the wheels moving. You're lucky to be learning this in May.

May the 4th be with you.

Last edited:

baklava

I don’t work at UPS anymore.
Do you keep your seniority in the new location?

In NorCal we are allowed to transfer to any other NorCal building for any reason, however we lose “building seniority” and drop to the bottom of the list for vacation picks, routes, layoffs, etc...We do get to keep our company seniority so it’s not as if we are starting all over again.

In most cases you now have to accept a 22.4 position when transferring, and have your wage red circled. Rush was fortunate to have found a building that doesn’t yet have 22.4

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

In NorCal we are allowed to transfer to any other NorCal building for any reason, however we lose “building seniority” and drop to the bottom of the list for vacation picks, routes, layoffs, etc...We do get to keep our company seniority so it’s not as if we are starting all over again.

In most cases you now have to accept a 22.4 position when transferring, and have your wage red circled. Rush was fortunate to have found a building that doesn’t yet have 22.4

You may have to accept a "demotion" in order to transfer??

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Try & get as much information/area knowledge as you can from the previous driver or the covers. It is easier than what Rod had it as far as there are street names & addresses now. However, about 50% more stops than Rod had too. So gather any tips you can, such as leave the 'shag' for the McDonald farm at the country store in town and call leave message or leave package(s) under can at top of driveway and USE flag stops on extended for any pickups, that's against the rules in the city, but you're on your own in the bush . Also get with postal carriers and post offices for info. A lot will let you slip it into the mail box which is also against the rules... yet, you do what you gotta do to avoid getting stuck. In the old days you could be in town and find a customer that is a later 30-mile shag on your route. What you did back then was just cut the 1Z-label off and drive around looking at the wild life and/or swimming and just pop a scan on it an hour later and D.R. it. Not as simple anymore so know where your GPS doesn't get service. Also drive the speed limit back to the building. This eliminates having to help any intown drivers. Watch out for blind 90-degree turns on gravel roads. You can happen on this quickly doing 45-50. Always keep a stash of emergency supplies in your truck and when they slash routes in fall always have warm clothes, boots, coat. You might walk in wearing shorts and shirt jack and they decided to put your route back in to the woods at 30-degree weather and 1' of snow. Trust no one!

Most important of all just starting out is keep your wheels moving. Don't sit on the roadside looking at maps or your phone. Keep driving and you'll happen upon a lot of stops. Always keep the wheels moving. You're lucky to be learning this in May.

May the 4th be with you.

Spoken like a true Runner Gunner
Congratulations
You’ve made it

rocket man

Bring xtra mirrors and a lot of dog biscuts