Country Bound

Overpaid Union Thug

I don't mind covering. If they get too close I use treats to get them away. You can pretty much train them to stay away if you do it right
All it takes is one time for a dog to expect a treat from that day forward. Once that happens when they hear/see the UPS truck coming it is like the dinner bell is ringing. When my route was cut temporarily because of the pandemic I ended up on one of my old bid routes and I noticed rather quickly that many Of the dogs that used to stay put would make a beeline towards the truck as soon as they could hear it coming. The two drivers that had been on that route since I left at both carry dog treats. It is not a smart thing to do and can/does result in drivers getting run over.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Yeah yeah a work transfer. I’m losing building seniority but keep company years. They’re hiring six drivers right now and as soon as I start I’ll have those six drivers under me because they’ll all still be on probation while I’m already well past vested.
what i meant was did a job follow you to new building? If that was the case you should not lose your job seniority . we had feeder drivers follow jobs into our hub and they did not lose bidding seniority. I lost 5 years of bidding seniority because work did not follow me to the hub. it was a hardship transfer.

not a big deal actually but 5 years lost me 60 spots on the list of 100 drivers at the time. I liked working nights anyway. when i retired we had 180 feeder drivers.

I'm sure you'll love working in the country. Rural package drivers at our hub never changed their jobs.

Overpaid Union Thug

How do the drivers get run over?
I'm confused.
Dogs get excited and run directly towards the truck and either (due to their stupidity) run right under the tires because they misjudged their speed or lose their footing on gravel and roll under the tires. It has happened quite a few times in my district.

oldngray

nowhere special
Which still doesn't explain how a driver gets run over.
481f41cf.gif

Ancient Alien

UPS Vacation
So I got the call and my transfer is final. Getting out of this excrement-hole city and being moved to the country. Any advice from you rural drivers you can dish out that aren’t so obvious to this driver whose only delivered in the city? Btw I’ve lived in the sticks before so I know what it’s like. Just work advice would be awesome. Thanks everybody!
UPS Official Training Video for Extended Routes.

G.V. Rush

All Encompassing Member
1. Bring towels from the center to put around the floor of the the back door. The dust these things suck in will make the back of your truck dirty enough that packages wont scan and towels help seal better.

2. Be cautious of new gravel on driveways. Some homeowners are very sensitive if you are kicking up their freshly laid gravel and some driveways are very soft around the edge causing your tires to sink in.

3. Dirt driveways in the rain can suck your truck down so far your gonna need a tug to get out. Walk them out if they are not too far.

4. Your gonna have driveways where the trees or bushes are so close you cannot get your truck through. Talk with the customer and see if they can put bin at the end of the driveway for your packages or if you can at least bag and tie to mailbox.

5. Whistle when you get to a house and observe for the pooch. This has saved my ass a couple times, but don't assume that if one doesn't show up there is not one around.

6. MOST people do not care if you leave their package at their pole shed. You can ask the homeowner in advance or do like me and assume its fine until they say its not.

7. BRING DOG TREATS. This is also a life saver, I've been surprised on a few occasions where I would drop the package at the front door, turn around and be greeted by an angry dog. It's amazing how a couple dog biscuits can calm down most dogs.

8. EC is your friend on those terrible weather days. The boss may get a bit snippy but he's more happy everybody got back rather then having a bill from the tow company.

9. As somebody else mentioned, get to know the guys with tractors. I've been saved more times by generous people then with the tow man.

10. On very dry days your going to produce a lot of dust when driving. If you have a house that you deliver to quite frequently on a dirt road and it does not have a long driveway, be sure your going slow a quarter mile to it, as people get PISSED when people speed by dusting their house. I was just filmed yesterday by some lady saying she's reporting everyone throwing dust at her house to the county(like I cared about that).

11. Depending on how rural you will be and your own body's mechanics, avoid greasy foods. A couple slim jims for breakfast can put you in a pickle sooner then you think(Trust me, avoid slim jims).

12. Bring plenty of water. If its a hot day and particularly dry, you will get sick of the dust coming in the truck and close the front doors. I usually go through 10-15 bottles of water on those days because of the heat and lack of air flow.

You'll get the hang of it soon, and you'll have your own portable speaker listening to podcasts and pandora like the rest of us country drivers in no time.
Wow I feel like I should compensate you in some way. You went above and beyond helping me out with as far as I can tell really solid advice. Thank you very much. Very grateful for your response.

G.V. Rush

All Encompassing Member
Of course at night during the Holidays, you might knock on a door, and when it opens you might be greeted by the barrel of a Shotgun
I haven’t rang a doorbell past sunset in years. People in the city don’t like that either. Hide the pkg from plain view and move on.

Dumbperson

Wow I feel like I should compensate you in some way. You went above and beyond helping me out with as far as I can tell really solid advice. Thank you very much. Very grateful for your response.
I always get surprised about how NOT snippy my boss gets with EC. I learned quick to not be afraid to use it. Conditions change in seconds in the country and it's snowing and windy

Dumbperson

Too lazy to see if anyone else has said it but pack extra socks and pants. A roll of TP. Tools in case something happens and you can take care of it yourself. Flashlight. Gloves. Tape. Saw. Garbage bags. Wait what board am I on again??