cover drivers sent home

JJ53

Anyone seeing cover drivers being sent home and full time drivers not getting days off? At our center they are sending cover drivers home because they say with the new contract the drivers cant have more than 200 reports, so this leads to no one else getting a day off here and there.

tourists24

Where is the new language that says this? Seniority is still in affect. If there are too many people reporting for work, voluntary layoff (day off) should still be offered from the top down.

sealbasher

my cover driver was sent home the last two days,this morning he grieved it, and they offered me (17years)the day off ,becuase this guy just got married and bought a house ,i let him my area .Ive had 36 hours the last 3 days need the rest.And its 22 degrees beer here i come.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I wish we had cover drivers!!!!! Summer is here and vacations have already started and we have to get drivers from other ctr to come and help us. We have 1 driver who is a backup feeder so he picks vacations outside of the ft drivers and it will be very interesting to see how they cover all the rtes this summer. As far as days off when we do have enough drivers past practice has always been from the top down. It rarely gets down to me for a day off.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Sealbasher, I assume that was 22 degrees Celsius, which is approx. 72 degrees Fahrenheit, means its going to be a nice day. You had me worried there for a second--enjoy your day off!!

RozUPS

Heres another spin on cover drivers being sent home youare a cover driver who comes in and is told no work go home, can you press the issue and and say I really want to stay please find me work? If you stand your ground does it display your desire to work instead of saying ok and going home every day? Does management bank on the idea that most newer cover drivers just accept the fact that there is no work and just go home without trying to stay

tourists24

Heres another spin on cover drivers being sent home youare a cover driver who comes in and is told no work go home, can you press the issue and and say I really want to stay please find me work? If you stand your ground does it display your desire to work instead of saying ok and going home every day? Does management bank on the idea that most newer cover drivers just accept the fact that there is no work and just go home without trying to stay
That is exactly what happens around here. Cover drivers are told to report to work. When they get overstaffed, they start sending guys home. A lot of higher seniority drivers that want the day off started filing for the right to be asked to go home first. So now they have a seniority list to check before letting the newbies go home. It works well around here because the company doesnt have to worry about replacing call ins (or finding work for that cover driver) and drivers get a day off here and there when they need it.

trickpony1

That is exactly what happens around here. Cover drivers are told to report to work. When they get overstaffed, they start sending guys home. A lot of higher seniority drivers that want the day off started filing for the right to be asked to go home first. So now they have a seniority list to check before letting the newbies go home. It works well around here because the company doesnt have to worry about replacing call ins (or finding work for that cover driver) and drivers get a day off here and there when they need it.

Now see.......

that didn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out but yet it wasn't implemented until someone filed on it.

....so much for the ".......we care about our people" and ...."we listen to our people" and the other extraneous crap we get blown up our lower extremities.

RozUPS

That's what I'm hoping is the case in my building. When my time comes I want to work as often as possible. If your told to go home in your center can you seek work in another?

xkingx

That's what I'm hoping is the case in my building. When my time comes I want to work as often as possible. If your told to go home in your center can you seek work in another?

if you have more seniority than another driver, yes

and seniority is the right 2 work not go home..

stealth8

I hope these guys that are going home all of the time realize that they must work a certain ammount of hours in a month to keep their health benefits going.

S

speeddemon

This is because of new language. If a cover driver, drives 200 days in a year, they go to full time status. Second, if a cover driver is scheduled to drive, and they come into work that day, they can send them home, WITH PAY. You CANNOT send a cover driver home if he/she was schedlued to drive that day.

Seniority prevails either way. If your ctr is up drivers and you would rather go home then saddle up there,junior swing driver,you got a route.

BCFan

If a TCD (cover driver) reports to work he/she has a 8 hour guarantee...Cover drivers MUST be notified in advance of their status ...if you show up grow a set ant DEMAND your 8 hours, if they tell you to still go , don't sweat it grab a six pack and go fishing. Oh and by the way while you are fishing go ahead and write up a grievance.......its great to be paid 8 hours to fish and drink beer BC (not Being Covered)

GoBrown???

Someone correct me if I'm wrong-Seniority gives you the right to work-not to go home.

This is true...seniority gives you the right to work...not the right not to work. if a senior driver wants the day and sees a low senority / cover driver not working he can swap places as long as it is approved by management. in my center they wont allow cover drivers do routes that they don't know b/c they don't want to have to worry about them going over 9.5 or 10 unless the route is easy.