cracking of the hands

trickpony1

RE: Vaseline

5,000,000 baby boomer butts depended on it !! :biggrin:

..... I guess you're right. If Vaseline was so good for you it would be on the menu at the local restaurant. So far I haven't seen it listed at the restaurants I frequent. :scared:

....Moreluck, you're a smart person........do you actually think the makers of any product are going to put a warning label on their product?

trickpony1

My wife has been putting Vaseline on her hands each night for years now. I don't see any ill effects. ............... Oh well, I guess the stuff isn't too bad after all.

......what's your point?

My mother smoked for years. It wasn't until about 6 years ago she died from lung cancer that spread to her brain and liver.

What's my point? The sustained exposure to the ingredients in cigarette smoke was thought to be harmless. Since most petroleum jellies contain petroleum, hence the name, does it make sense to knowingly expose the very vulnerable and absorbent tissue known as the skin to petroleum?....especially since there are umpteen health food stores that sell safe alternatives.

Why take the chance?.........think about it.

PS- deodorant was never thought of as being dangerous. There seems to be a concern now about the aluminum chlorohydrate content and it's effects.

I don't particularly relish the thought of someday a poster on this board asking, "whatever happened to 'ol Trickpony1?", and someone responding with "....the petroleum jelly got him.".

Last edited:

DS

Fenderbender
Trick,ya can't hide out in a hyperbaric chamber for the rest of your life.
Sure its good to be careful not to eat poison,or put it on your baby,but you seem obsessed with it. If you want to be my friend I insist you keep using deoderant,or rub fresh imported lilacs in your armpits.Sorry to hear about your mom.

Cementups

Box Monkey
On a side note; chapped lips are also a problem this time of year. A great solution is to rub fresh dog crap on them- the smell is kind of overbearing, but I guarantee you won't lick them!!!!:w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t:

Carmexis the best stuff I have EVER used on my lips for chapping and cold sores.

LKLND3380

Don't you just love it when you get cracks on the tips of your fingers, then bump them against a package. Man am I glad to be retired: no more cracks on the fingertips.

Better than that is pulling an envelope from under a box that has been stapled. Then you find out the staple has not closed all the way as it jabs into your finger...

dillweed

A & D ointment is another stand-by and I bet I had plenty of that on my butt as a baby. Good for the hands too.

Never thought about vaseline being harmful. My understanding is that many products can be harmful if we use too much of them. Water's the only thing I can think of that can be consumed in huge quantities without harming us in any way. We have well water so I've probably sucked down lots of bug juice and toad feces but I'd rather have that than recycled toilet water laced with chlorine. :ohmy:

moreluck

golden ticket member
dillweed.......last year in San Diego the local radio station held a water drinking contest. A lady died from water intoxication (too much, too fast)

Just another example where moderation is the key.

JustTired

free at last.......
I know a few people who use super glue to close the cracks. But I'm a little reluctant to use that myself. I use something called New Skin. It comes in liquid and spray. But don't get the spray. It covers to big an area and even after the stuff dries, it attracts dirt which is hard to get off. It works great though and has some antiseptic in it which should help infection problems. Super Glue doesn't have that.

Your hands crack not only from the cold and wind, but from handling the packages. The cardboard wicks any moisture right out. So wearing gloves will help some but the material they're made from could also be wicking the moisture out too.

trickpony1

We have well water so I've probably sucked down lots of bug juice and toad feces but I'd rather have that than recycled toilet water laced with chlorine. :ohmy:

I came out of the hyperbaric chamber long enough to offer this tidbit..........

I have a close relative who is a nurse. She has noticed the large number of cancer patients she has to deal with seem to come from rural areas where the crops are sprayed regularly. She thinks the pesticide runs off and down into the water table and is then mingled with the well water that rural residents drink.

I do fully understand your concern about chlorine and our government will tell you, ".....oh, but....so many PPM (parts per million) won't endanger you". Maybe not but, once again, what about the accumlative effects?