Cradle issues

newintown

You all act like you can go out on a route blind and be proficient at it the first time. Yeah, sure, once you know a route you don't need MapNav, but for these newer 22.4's and TCD's that are thrown on to a new route every day it's understandable that they would want a little help to get the job done.

bumped

It's funny reading all these comments about learning a route and doing it without a cradle. As a cover driver I have mastered a few routes and come in up to 2 hours faster scratching out. The bid drivers that are always 200 clicks over actually whine about it. But that being said it sure isn't easy or convenient without mapping. They also didn't give drivers 150-250 stops a day back then either. The drivers that always say to learn a route are right. But that being said it's not just that easy to run 150-250 stops just learning 10 routes in 10 days. Those that say this kind of stuff have been on their routes months if not years. It's almost laughable to even compare the two.
We may have had less stops, but we also didn't have EDD. We had to sort our loads out more than they do today, and we had to remember what our next few stops are. We also didn't have the EDD telling us how many packages each stop was getting. Our loads weren't anymore loaded better than they are today. They probably were worse considering the misloads we would get. We used to be told here is your package car, here is your diad, and good luck. I remember going out blind and asking what my first stop was and how do I get there.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
We may have had less stops, but we also didn't have EDD. We had to sort our loads out more than they do today, and we had to remember what our next few stops are. We also didn't have the EDD telling us how many packages each stop was getting. Our loads weren't anymore loaded better than they are today. They probably were worse considering the misloads we would get. We used to be told here is your package car, here is your diad, and good luck. I remember going out blind and asking what my first stop was and how do I get there.
Now we have young bucks coming in 2 hrs early stealing cradles out of other package cars to deliver their route. It's sad, but ups created this monster. Just like every other problem they have. The cradle bitches give us older drivers a good laugh every day. Just like the oms girls that try to figure out how to hide the missed packages when the cradle goes out. So glad Carol lowered the standards. Dumber not better.

BrownStains

I love these guys that say just follow Orion. No, I follow what is the safest path and that is not Orion . Think about that for a second when Orion is telling you to back here or there or make this left or that turn.

SorryLazyPOS

Big Kahuna Burger
You all act like you can go out on a route blind and be proficient at it the first time. Yeah, sure, once you know a route you don't need MapNav, but for these newer 22.4's and TCD's that are thrown on to a new route every day it's understandable that they would want a little help to get the job done.
Yeah but they literally say they can’t do it because they don’t have a cradle. But they have a navigation system in their pocket……

BigBrown87

If it’s brown, it’s going down
If a cradle only costs $100 and I could simply plug it into any pkg car that doesn’t have a working one. That would probably be much cheaper than trying to find a paper map these days. [@ $40 an hour and waisted money spent on a few useless maps, I easily spent $700]

After my last transfer, had to learn 40 routes my first year on my phone (IF I HAVE CELL SERVICE) because I couldn’t get any detailed maps. I support buying a cheap cradle, especially if you are learning 40+ routes a year.
Your learning curve would be less with a map than a cradle. Like everyone says we did this delivery thing without GPS, so can a newbie.

Whereistheunion

I am a package car delivery driver in Ohio. We are having issues with a lack of cradles for peak. Some drivers went online and bought themselves new cradles to make peak smooth. A bunch of senior drivers are banding together to stop them from using the new cradles. They say we are not allowed to modify our trucks. How is this modifying our truck if it’s the same cradle that the mechanic would supply? Thoughts?
My cradle don't work and I have a 100 percent residential route that I just started. I just muscle through the route 2hrs over everyday, at some point the area will get familiar. Furthermore, wrote up the issue DVIR we don't have any either.

DriverNerd

I love these guys that say just follow Orion. No, I follow what is the safest path and that is not Orion . Think about that for a second when Orion is telling you to back here or there or make this left or that turn.
The safest path is for you to decide. I follow Orion as close to 100% as possible and also use the safest path to do so. Sometimes it requires going around the block or going to the next turn around to do so and that puts on many extra miles. Do it their order+the safest way=more money.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
If a cradle only costs $100 and I could simply plug it into any pkg car that doesn’t have a working one. That would probably be much cheaper than trying to find a paper map these days. [@ $40 an hour and waisted money spent on a few useless maps, I easily spent $700]

After my last transfer, had to learn 40 routes my first year on my phone (IF I HAVE CELL SERVICE) because I couldn’t get any detailed maps. I support buying a cheap cradle, especially if you are learning 40+ routes a year.
What the hell
My spiral bound map book cost me $24

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
It's good when it get's dark I'll admit. By looking at the street names on the diad as opposed to trying to read a sign.
But you learn the route better and faster by going off of either the paper map or the mapnav button before driving. Obviously then so you can focus more on actual landmarks and block breaks.

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive
Oh wow drivers buying their own cradles ... I am going to die laughing the first time a teary eyed driver comes to the shop blaming us because some Onroad ripped his personal cradle out poorly to install it mostly broken in another truck.

Some of our on roads dont even use tools, they tear it off the dash sometimes bracket and all.. and yes we have a grievance in.

Last edited:

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive
I watch the supervisors scramble every morning trying to put the cradles into newbies trucks

Is your automotive shop grieving it? We have one in at my building and even our manager asked them to stop because they have damaged a few trucks. We have had brackets torn from dashes and wiring damaged.

PPH_over_9000

Well... one thing I can say about the new DIAD is that you don't ever have to worry about a non-functional/missing cradle in order to have MapNav and working GPS.

I still can't tell if they charge or not, but I aim for 100% cradle utilization and I just ended a 13.5hr day at 87% battery. DIAD 6 might just have awesome battery life, idk.

BrownStains

The safest path is for you to decide. I follow Orion as close to 100% as possible and also use the safest path to do so. Sometimes it requires going around the block or going to the next turn around to do so and that puts on many extra miles. Do it their order+the safest way=more money.
Whatever works for you on your route. Every route I covered I followed what I thought was the best way for that route. I may have been 95% in trace on one route or 70 on another. I never worried about the numbers and nobody ever said a word to me about it.

dupa

On-Road Integrated Optimization and Navigation.
so if they have run out
I am a package car delivery driver in Ohio. We are having issues with a lack of cradles for peak. Some drivers went online and bought themselves new cradles to make peak smooth. A bunch of senior drivers are banding together to stop them from using the new cradles. They say we are not allowed to modify our trucks. How is this modifying our truck if it’s the same cradle that the mechanic would supply? Thoughts?
So if they
run out of PKG cars will you idiots buy one?

charm299

What’s the link to buy a cradl?