Cradle me this Batman ....

Cowboy Mac

It’s amazing how most of the drivers in my center went without having back firsts before GPS and cradles. We had these things called cell phones that had maps on them and you could look for your next 5 streets on them.

Oh wait... we still have those.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Truck cradles that either don’t work, not charging the DIAD or the “GPS maps” feature is not available:
Let me start off, I fully understand the Orion system, I believe that’s what it’s called, not every center requires it and not every center has it, my comments are directed at those sites that do have it....
Also for the sake of this discussion I believe the issue is the cradle which the DIAD sits in is broken or the harness cables are malfunctioning ....

As a former DT (driver trainee) ..
Help me understand....
why DTs would be placed on routes they normally don’t drive, in trucks whereby the cradle or cradle harness is not working.

Oh thats rightthey don’t care.

UPS talks about back first exceptions and the importance of reducing these occurrences....

Operational cradles go a long way in helping prevent these occurrences.
Plenty of trucks have this feature and yet on Saturday’s, not all are used.
DTs are assigned “cover / make shift routes” in unknown areas and assigned a truck with no /faulty navigation system. The same system that would advise them if the next stop is in the other direction....?
Or at night, the system advises if you’ve arrived ...?

If all trucks had working gps ... this would be a non issue.

Oh that’s right... they don’t care.

“Back in the day we used maps...”
This old school response is typical from those who drove without the cradle. I credit them for completing their routes without this technology. However times evolved and if we are going to have a “back in the day” mentality then maybe we should ditch the cell phone and carry loose change for the pay phones to stay in touch?

Oh that’s right.... they don’t care.

Given the advancements in technology and UPS’s view of safety....
WHY would a UPS center, who has such technology, not factor this technology as a “safety concern” the way it views broken taillights or cracked windshields.

These cradles are installed on most trucks already, yet to send DT’s into new areas without this technology? We aren’t even talking about night time driving in such areas which magnifies your risk factor.

Oh that’s right.... they don’t care.

“Old school drivers may not need it because they know their routes...”
In time and assigned consistent routes so too will a DT’s.
Until then..
DT’s are being hired year after year to cover all routes as needed, so why not reduce your risk and ensure they are given the proper tools to complete the job “safely”

Routes are never the same or assigned to the same DT unless it’s peak season. Which raises the question for another day in terms of how do you evaluate DTs when every route is different, loads are different and not every truck is created equal ...? GPS no GPS
In short.... operational cradles benefits outweigh the negatives and yet one would think “extras “ would be available for immediate replacement as needed?
Operational cradles creates driver confidence, confidence creates safety and efficiency, efficiency creates savings.

UPS whose history dates back 100 plus years takes pride in servicing the public. Takes pride in safety ...

They should take such pride in seeing their future drivers are in a position to succeed. say the most important stop is the last one, getting home.

Ensure all trucks are fully equipped with todays TECHNOLOGY so it’s current and future DT’s are in a position to succeed and most importantly, get home safe.

Oh that’s right...... they don’t care.

Prison sentence starts at 9:30am until the truck is empty.
Quit whining and get to work

DeCurtis

It’s amazing how most of the drivers in my center went without having back firsts before GPS and cradles. We had these things called cell phones that had maps on them and you could look for your next 5 streets on them.

Oh wait... we still have those.
Why would you ever use your personal phone for anything work related?

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
1620481089622.png

yes

I mean I have my own personal gripes with "being a DT" whatever that means, but it's their company, nothing they ever do makes sense, they can't fire me out of my PT job unless I actually come in contact with something that is not air. Sometimes you just have to vouch for yourself and ignore what they think of you, safety recognition is an extra contractual agreement, after all.

Last edited:

Est.1998

UPS talks about back first exceptions and the importance of reducing these occurrences....

Operational cradles go a long way in helping prevent these occurrences.
The cradle does nothing to help with back first exceptions. If you pass a stop, you either stop the car and walk it off, turn the car around, or get it on the way back.
UPS whose history dates back 100 plus years takes pride in servicing the public. Takes pride in safety ...
My hub only cares about safety after crashes and injuries.
If safety was a priority, the majority of bulk stops would be delivered on pallets and bricked out cars wouldn't exist.
Also, driver discretion would be highly valued instead of 95% trace.
They should take such pride in seeing their future drivers are in a position to succeed. say the most important stop is the last one, getting home.
What do you mean by seeing a driver succeed?
If succession is going home, I'd say they do a decent job in a driver's succession.
Going home before 10pm is a different topic.
Ensure all trucks are fully equipped with todays TECHNOLOGY so it’s current and future DT’s are in a position to succeed and most importantly, get home safe.
It would be great if UPS installed backup beepers and special flashers on every pc.
Or at the very least, horns that worked correctly and not get stuck when you press them.

Est.1998

That’s not a back first exception.
You're correct. Back first is when you back up after shutting the car off. I guess his lack of area knowledge is what he's driving home so if you realize you need to go the other direction after making a stop, drive forward a few feet and then back up and turn around

You're correct. Back first is when you back up after shutting the car off. I guess his lack of area knowledge is what he's driving home so if you realize you need to go the other direction after making a stop, drive forward a few feet and then back up and turn around
I'm at 100% positive but I think you have to drive at least 200 ft before you put it in reverse so that you don't have a back first exception

Est.1998

Don't get me started. I'm the only in-town route without the special orange hazard flashers and if I ask auto to install them, they look at me like I just flew in from Neptune.
The special orange hazards actually generate attention unlike the basic hazard lights. It isn't like you're asking for a school bus setup with the control arm stop sign.