Cradle me this Batman ....

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
I'm at 100% positive but I think you have to drive at least 200 ft before you put it in reverse so that you don't have a back first exception
They seem to show up a lot when navigating dead end roads: you can't sometimes back before your stop AND park on the right side of the road. Plenty of other little spots where the safest option sometimes is to back shortly after moving away from an optimal park position.

They seem to show up a lot when navigating dead end roads: you can't sometimes back before your stop AND park on the right side of the road. Plenty of other little spots where the safest option sometimes is to back shortly after moving away from an optimal park position.
They don't want you to use your brain. It's absolutely ridiculous. If I followed the map nav I'll be going the wrong way down one way street

WTFm8

I got about 2/3 way through and realized Oh, I don’t care.

You rambled on about the same couple things in at least different ways.

Again, I don’t care to read the rest.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I got about 2/3 way through and realized Oh, I don’t care.

You rambled on about the same couple things in at least different ways.

Again, I don’t care to read the rest.

I stopped when OP started whining about having to do things drivers have been doing for decades.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Truck cradles that either don’t work, not charging the DIAD or the “GPS maps” feature is not available:
Let me start off, I fully understand the Orion system, I believe that’s what it’s called, not every center requires it and not every center has it, my comments are directed at those sites that do have it....
Also for the sake of this discussion I believe the issue is the cradle which the DIAD sits in is broken or the harness cables are malfunctioning ....

As a former DT (driver trainee) ..
Help me understand....
why DTs would be placed on routes they normally don’t drive, in trucks whereby the cradle or cradle harness is not working.

Oh thats rightthey don’t care.

UPS talks about back first exceptions and the importance of reducing these occurrences....

Operational cradles go a long way in helping prevent these occurrences.
Plenty of trucks have this feature and yet on Saturday’s, not all are used.
DTs are assigned “cover / make shift routes” in unknown areas and assigned a truck with no /faulty navigation system. The same system that would advise them if the next stop is in the other direction....?
Or at night, the system advises if you’ve arrived ...?

If all trucks had working gps ... this would be a non issue.

Oh that’s right... they don’t care.

“Back in the day we used maps...”
This old school response is typical from those who drove without the cradle. I credit them for completing their routes without this technology. However times evolved and if we are going to have a “back in the day” mentality then maybe we should ditch the cell phone and carry loose change for the pay phones to stay in touch?

Oh that’s right.... they don’t care.

Given the advancements in technology and UPS’s view of safety....
WHY would a UPS center, who has such technology, not factor this technology as a “safety concern” the way it views broken taillights or cracked windshields.

These cradles are installed on most trucks already, yet to send DT’s into new areas without this technology? We aren’t even talking about night time driving in such areas which magnifies your risk factor.

“Old school drivers may not need it because they know their routes...”
In time and assigned consistent routes so too will a DT’s.
Until then..
DT’s are being hired year after year to cover all routes as needed, so why not reduce your risk and ensure they are given the proper tools to complete the job “safely”

Routes are never the same or assigned to the same DT unless it’s peak season. Which raises the question for another day in terms of how do you evaluate DTs when every route is different, loads are different and not every truck is created equal ...? GPS no GPS
In short.... operational cradles benefits outweigh the negatives and yet one would think “extras “ would be available for immediate replacement as needed?
Operational cradles creates driver confidence, confidence creates safety and efficiency, efficiency creates savings.

UPS whose history dates back 100 plus years takes pride in servicing the public. Takes pride in safety ...

They should take such pride in seeing their future drivers are in a position to succeed. say the most important stop is the last one, getting home.

Ensure all trucks are fully equipped with todays TECHNOLOGY so it’s current and future DT’s are in a position to succeed and most importantly, get home safe.

Oh that’s right...... they don’t care.

Prison sentence starts at 9:30am until the truck is empty.
Chop this down to a few key points and repost.

Est.1998

Chop this down to a few key points and repost.
I'll try.
If the cradles worked, he could do his job.
If management cared, the cradles would work and all would be fine at UPS.
All other issues as a pc driver would no longer exist and we'd all live happily ever after.

WeAreAllGoingToMakeIt

As a Driver Trainee, or any new guy that is still a little uncomfortable, your primary purpose is to make your management happy by being open to abuse, harassment, and ridicule.
New Drivers at UPS get raped faster than they would in the General Population of most prisons.
Sorry they fail to mention all of this in training.

^This. When you are a new driver, especially during your 30-40 probationary days, you belong to them. Just stick out your rear and tell them: "Be gentle."

WeAreAllGoingToMakeIt

Put it in neutral and coast back. Problem solved.

Please be joking.... so instead of showing up in the report as a back-first exception, which usually leads to a talk, you would rather risk hitting another vehicle/person/animal etc. and get fired for a roll-away accident?

1616962007039.jpg

Recently an on-car told us in PCM that it's 300 ft.
I was was just throwing the number out there.
I used to have a small industrial park with lots of businesses in it. I will back up to one dock then drive a few feet and back up to another dock It always gave me a back first exception.
So got to the point where I got tired of hearing about it so every time I pulled out I would drive around the lot and do a loop or two then back into the next dock.
This place is absolutely friend* crazy

deeztier

hit the map nav button all day until the battery runs out and then leave it up to management on what to do next. how :censored2: hard is this?!

G.V. Rush

All Encompassing Member
Truck cradles that either don’t work, not charging the DIAD or the “GPS maps” feature is not available:
Let me start off, I fully understand the Orion system, I believe that’s what it’s called, not every center requires it and not every center has it, my comments are directed at those sites that do have it....
Also for the sake of this discussion I believe the issue is the cradle which the DIAD sits in is broken or the harness cables are malfunctioning ....

As a former DT (driver trainee) ..
Help me understand....
why DTs would be placed on routes they normally don’t drive, in trucks whereby the cradle or cradle harness is not working.

Oh thats rightthey don’t care.

UPS talks about back first exceptions and the importance of reducing these occurrences....

Operational cradles go a long way in helping prevent these occurrences.
Plenty of trucks have this feature and yet on Saturday’s, not all are used.
DTs are assigned “cover / make shift routes” in unknown areas and assigned a truck with no /faulty navigation system. The same system that would advise them if the next stop is in the other direction....?
Or at night, the system advises if you’ve arrived ...?

If all trucks had working gps ... this would be a non issue.

Oh that’s right... they don’t care.

“Back in the day we used maps...”
This old school response is typical from those who drove without the cradle. I credit them for completing their routes without this technology. However times evolved and if we are going to have a “back in the day” mentality then maybe we should ditch the cell phone and carry loose change for the pay phones to stay in touch?

Given the advancements in technology and UPS’s view of safety....
WHY would a UPS center, who has such technology, not factor this technology as a “safety concern” the way it views broken taillights or cracked windshields.

These cradles are installed on most trucks already, yet to send DT’s into new areas without this technology? We aren’t even talking about night time driving in such areas which magnifies your risk factor.

“Old school drivers may not need it because they know their routes...”
In time and assigned consistent routes so too will a DT’s.
Until then..
DT’s are being hired year after year to cover all routes as needed, so why not reduce your risk and ensure they are given the proper tools to complete the job “safely”

Routes are never the same or assigned to the same DT unless it’s peak season. Which raises the question for another day in terms of how do you evaluate DTs when every route is different, loads are different and not every truck is created equal ...? GPS no GPS
In short.... operational cradles benefits outweigh the negatives and yet one would think “extras “ would be available for immediate replacement as needed?
Operational cradles creates driver confidence, confidence creates safety and efficiency, efficiency creates savings.

UPS whose history dates back 100 plus years takes pride in servicing the public. Takes pride in safety ...

They should take such pride in seeing their future drivers are in a position to succeed. say the most important stop is the last one, getting home.

Ensure all trucks are fully equipped with todays TECHNOLOGY so it’s current and future DT’s are in a position to succeed and most importantly, get home safe.

Oh that’s right...... they don’t care.

Prison sentence starts at 9:30am until the truck is empty.
Dang man I you sure whine a lot. Of course things are going to work as designed. Adapt and conquer. Do t be such a wuss