Cradle me this Batman ....

Misthios

I love my job. Don't you?
Truck cradles that either don’t work, not charging the DIAD or the “GPS maps” feature is not available:
Let me start off, I fully understand the Orion system, I believe that’s what it’s called, not every center requires it and not every center has it, my comments are directed at those sites that do have it....
Also for the sake of this discussion I believe the issue is the cradle which the DIAD sits in is broken or the harness cables are malfunctioning ....

As a former DT (driver trainee) ..
Help me understand....
why DTs would be placed on routes they normally don’t drive, in trucks whereby the cradle or cradle harness is not working.

Oh thats rightthey don’t care.

UPS talks about back first exceptions and the importance of reducing these occurrences....

Operational cradles go a long way in helping prevent these occurrences.
Plenty of trucks have this feature and yet on Saturday’s, not all are used.
DTs are assigned “cover / make shift routes” in unknown areas and assigned a truck with no /faulty navigation system. The same system that would advise them if the next stop is in the other direction....?
Or at night, the system advises if you’ve arrived ...?

If all trucks had working gps ... this would be a non issue.

Oh that’s right... they don’t care.

“Back in the day we used maps...”
This old school response is typical from those who drove without the cradle. I credit them for completing their routes without this technology. However times evolved and if we are going to have a “back in the day” mentality then maybe we should ditch the cell phone and carry loose change for the pay phones to stay in touch?

Oh that’s right.... they don’t care.

Given the advancements in technology and UPS’s view of safety....
WHY would a UPS center, who has such technology, not factor this technology as a “safety concern” the way it views broken taillights or cracked windshields.

These cradles are installed on most trucks already, yet to send DT’s into new areas without this technology? We aren’t even talking about night time driving in such areas which magnifies your risk factor.

Oh that’s right.... they don’t care.

“Old school drivers may not need it because they know their routes...”
In time and assigned consistent routes so too will a DT’s.
Until then..
DT’s are being hired year after year to cover all routes as needed, so why not reduce your risk and ensure they are given the proper tools to complete the job “safely”

Routes are never the same or assigned to the same DT unless it’s peak season. Which raises the question for another day in terms of how do you evaluate DTs when every route is different, loads are different and not every truck is created equal ...? GPS no GPS
In short.... operational cradles benefits outweigh the negatives and yet one would think “extras “ would be available for immediate replacement as needed?
Operational cradles creates driver confidence, confidence creates safety and efficiency, efficiency creates savings.

UPS whose history dates back 100 plus years takes pride in servicing the public. Takes pride in safety ...

They should take such pride in seeing their future drivers are in a position to succeed. say the most important stop is the last one, getting home.

Ensure all trucks are fully equipped with todays TECHNOLOGY so it’s current and future DT’s are in a position to succeed and most importantly, get home safe.

Oh that’s right...... they don’t care.

Prison sentence starts at 9:30am until the truck is empty.
You so understand that you have a small computer in your pocket at all times right?

DeCurtis

You’re right. I should have just driven around until I found my next street. Or even better parked the truck and wait for management to come find it for me.
When is the last time UPS lent you their equipment for personal use?
Lines separating personal/business conduct exist to maintain integrity and accountability. It is not unreasonable to be expected to be provided a map. When I was an FNG my ORS had a several pages long County Map book he would print off pages from.
Give no slack, nor expect to receive any.

5RoutesAWeek

Wait, OP. Did you spit on it? You know you gotta lube those diads up nowadays. Anyway, clearly you haven't driven very long if the part of the truck you're worried about it the cradle.

Spanky250

You're correct. Back first is when you back up after shutting the car off. I guess his lack of area knowledge is what he's driving home so if you realize you need to go the other direction after making a stop, drive forward a few feet and then back up and turn around

I'm at 100% positive but I think you have to drive at least 200 ft before you put it in reverse so that you don't have a back first exception

It's 500 feet.

Spanky250

I was told 100 ft, and based on how far I travel before I back a lot of times, and how many back first exceptions I get, I find 100 is right.

Well I've been told by two different center managers and a mechanic that it's 500 feet. Meh, I don't really care either way since I don't do it.

Est.1998

Well I've been told by two different center managers and a mechanic that it's 500 feet. Meh, I don't really care either way since I don't do it.
I guess this falls into the category with "how many licks does it take to get to the tootsie roll center of a tootsie roll pop."

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
I've heaf 500 feet too, it's almost two football fields, though. If it were 500 feet I'd have 20 back first exceptions a day, or more.
Like every number in UPS existance... They will blackpill as much garbage behind a nugget of truth as they can as long as it is to difficult to tell the two apart in an observation or hearing.

The "distance forward before backing" could easily be some insane algorithm with time, distance, gps cordinates, and other complicated, rediculously unrelated factors all smashed together.

Cowboy Mac

Like every number in UPS existance... They will blackpill as much garbage behind a nugget of truth as they can as long as it is to difficult to tell the two apart in an observation or hearing.

The "distance forward before backing" could easily be some insane algorithm with time, distance, gps cordinates, and other complicated, rediculously unrelated factors all smashed together.
Ask any driver what 500 feet looks like. They couldn’t tell you. Not even your safety committee could tell you that. How can they expect you to not have a back first if they don’t demonstrate how far you have to go forward before backing?