Customers Closed, Volume Down

MassWineGuy

Just before all this broke we were told that that a couple of new ft routes might be started. Hours would be 10-6, 11-7 or thereabouts delivering P2s and I’d suppose doing some pickups. No getting out of bed at 6 am. Very tempting to jump from part time. But now it may be a little bit longer.

MAKAVELI

Just before all this broke we were told that that a couple of new ft routes might be started. Hours would be 10-6, 11-7 or thereabouts delivering P2s and I’d suppose doing some pickups. No getting out of bed at 6 am. Very tempting to jump from part time. But now it may be a little bit longer.
That sounds like casual drivers. No benefits, P2 resi only.

MassWineGuy

If that's the case, no thank you. Although there's a guy who started at another station recently from dispatch. They moved dispatch and his commute would have been 100 miles more a day. So he is doing an 11-7 p2 route. I'm certain he is still a regular Express employee.

Maybe there are two givens here:

1) Adhere to policy.
2) Unless they need or want to do something else.

Last edited:

McFeely

Huge Member
That sounds like casual drivers. No benefits, P2 resi only.

None of our casuals were allowed to do pups, they also were only allowed to work a certain number of days a week if I recall.

Every single casual we had in the last 12 months is gone. I haven't seen one in at least 2 months.

McFeely

Huge Member
It can be such fun even with benefits. Why would a casual leave?

No bennies for casuals. Just hourly wage (step 1 on the payscale I believe).

Lack of steady work, having to arrange day care at the last minute.....

The casuals aren't assigned a schedule that they don't want. They only work the days they request, they can't be forced to work a day/shift that they aren't available. Each week they're supposed to inform management what days they're available to work so the station schedule can use them as needed.

DeliveryException

I used to be on a midday route like that. 50 or so p2 and 40-50 pups. Always a 9-10hr day, it was nice like that. Bad part was getting stuck with "zeros" that didn't route. I would end up with stuff not in my area but other routes were long gone.
We had 3 or 4 midday routes at one point. I think we might have one left.

But there isn't enough time before or after work to get much else done. Mine got too busy on the delivery side so they just made the pup part a regular part time route again and made mine part of the am loop.

CatMan

Do you have an expidite driver? Maybe see if he can do a couple of those "zeros "...if not, try to pluck out a few next days if need be.