Customers Closed, Volume Down

bacha29

The ground guy on my route tells me he runs straight thru with no lunch...and if he does grab something, he'll eat on the fly , and that boggles the mind...So yeah, I also don't like these dudes with Rip Van Winkle like beards looking real sloppy, pony tail and everything. ..guess I am old school that way.
This is where a lot of the trouble with Ground comes in. They're paid a flat per diem/ salary and some are paid by the stop even though they are nonprofessional employees.As a result required lunch and breaks are not being taken , recorded or accounted for which is obviously a labor violation . That is why you're beginning to see time clocks and cards being installed in trucks.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
MrFedex, I have found that guys who "take a stand"..are the ones that draw attention to themselves and are harassed even more and usually get canned or quit cause its a really stressful environment, no doubt.

That's why he did all of his stand-taking on the internet. Ask him about the stand he took behind a screen with a gizmo that altered his voice during a seminar he conducted at a large social media company. And he conducted a Q&A with the employees. All of this because he bumped into one of the higher ups and lectured him for 10 minutes on human capital, and Mr. Higher Up was so impressed that he arranged all of this.

According to him, anyway.

Ask him.

Working4the1%

MrFedex, I have found that guys who "take a stand"..are the ones that draw attention to themselves and are harassed even more and usually get canned or quit cause its a really stressful environment, no doubt.
RBPBH-oct18-newsletter-graphics-scaredy-cat.jpg

Working4the1%

This is where a lot of the trouble with Ground comes in. They're paid a flat per diem/ salary and some are paid by the stop even though they are nonprofessional employees.As a result required lunch and breaks are not being taken , recorded or accounted for which is obviously a labor violation . That is why you're beginning to see time clocks and cards being installed in trucks.
Reminds me of 30 min guarantee Dominos pizza had........until the fatal wreck and the lawyer depose the drivers to find out why they have to rush and drive unsafe. Ground kills our Brand image

dezguy

Reminds me of 30 min guarantee Dominos pizza had........until the fatal wreck and the lawyer depose the drivers to find out why they have to rush and drive unsafe. Ground kills our Brand image
We don't own the company.

People really need to stop taking ownership in FedEx. This is a job, a means to the end. It is not our brand.

FedEx has proven they don't care about us. Punch in, do your job, get paid and make as much as you can, while you can from this place, that's it.

CatMan

Dezguy, I do agree with you , however there was a time many years ago that we had dignity and pride in what we do...but our company has devolved in so many ways .And it's been a sad decline

dezguy

Dezguy, I do agree with you , however there was a time many years ago that we had dignity and pride in what we do...but our company has devolved in so many ways .And it's been a sad decline
They took advantage of people's loyalty to them. When I started, the thought of jumping ship to UPS or Purolator was blasphemous. Now, I tell every young guy who starts not to attach themselves to this place.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
They took advantage of people's loyalty to them. When I started, the thought of jumping ship to UPS or Purolator was blasphemous. Now, I tell every young guy who starts not to attach themselves to this place.

Exactly. In the early days, getting a Federal Express job was a major score. It used to be an excellent company to work for, and I'll admit to being very loyal for a long time. In retrospect, that loyalty was entirely misplaced because there was zero reciprocation.

Almost all of us would go to extremes to provide incredible service, and there was truly a sense of teamwork and esprit de corps.

Amazingly, they still try and sell the idea that working for FedEx is something special, and that you're part of a "team" that is doing big things.

The reality is that you are nothing but a number, a "body", or a productive asset. All that matters is profit.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Fred and his henchmen took that all away from us when people at the top of the food chain got downright greedy. The opportunity to really take care of the customer faded into the sunset with the obsession over numbers, FedEX Ground, an anti-union business model and the list goes on. The way we evolved was definitely in the wrong direction and with that morale took a huge nosedive. Just wonder how many customers have finally realized they're getting screwed as well?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

This looks like about 60% of the AM Sort when I suggested turning off the belt and taking a break in the parking lot to get management's attention. NOTHING ever happens unless you adversely affect the operation. If I walk out, I get a letter and the sort goes on. If 80% walk out, the sort is essentially dead, nobody gets a letter, and the issues get some attention.

Sorry, but that's the reality.

No balls, at all.

CatMan

So many points to address. ..let me say this , having a cool , approachable and understanding manager is the single most important thing to help buffer the sting that the big shots say and do. ..we have a 20yr swing driver who STILL isn't topped out...the dude is bad ass....And it's such an injustice and I feel terrible for him...it's impossible to put much trust in a manager that'll say "throw it in your truck and go, plot it at you 1st stop!"...to a new courier, that's brutal. ..I've seen new hires quit within just a few weeks..believe me a lot of Ops Mgrs should be long gone..I remember when 2 bad SFA's would result in them being moved...it's not really like that anymore..unfortunately.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
So many points to address. ..let me say this , having a cool , approachable and understanding manager is the single most important thing to help buffer the sting that the big shots say and do. ..we have a 20yr swing driver who STILL isn't topped out...the dude is bad ass....And it's such an injustice and I feel terrible for him...it's impossible to put much trust in a manager that'll say "throw it in your truck and go, plot it at you 1st stop!"...to a new courier, that's brutal. ..I've seen new hires quit within just a few weeks..believe me a lot of Ops Mgrs should be long gone..I remember when 2 bad SFA's would result in them being moved...it's not really like that anymore..unfortunately.

There you go...20 years, and still not topped-out. When I was an RTD, we had 22 and 23-year drivers also not topped out. Granted, neither was stellar in terms of work record, but 23 years?

This is why employees needed to take a stand, and still do, especially now with Covid-19. FedEx is NOT going to adequately protect you (as much as possible) until the entire station walks out, calls-in, or otherwise gets their attention. Simple reality.

A good Ops Manager is truly rare, but having a decent one doesn't excuse the corporation for their shortcomings. Besides, a first-level manager is mainly just a rules enforcer anyway.

You'll never get a better deal unless you show Fred he can't do whatever he wants and get away with it.

CatMan

MrFedex, I respect your opinion, however being non union..and walking out in mass would be opening Pandora's Box..sure we'll get attention but could be fired or certainly subject to retaliation...That's why it would be very difficult to pull that off..speaking for myself, and this may sound selfish, but I don't really feel as thought I need to align myself with a group that includes many people that have a spotty record or disciplinary issues when I spent my career (if I can call it that)..having a clean record and reputation ...easy for me to say ..Ive been topped out for many years. ..but I would support my coworkers if they did....I'm close to the finish and gonna ride this thing out.

Last edited:

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
MrFedex, I respect your opinion, however being non union..and walking out in mass would be opening Pandora's Box..sure we'll get attention but could be fired or certainly subject to retaliation...That's why it would be very difficult to pull that off..speaking for myself, and this may sound selfish, but I don't really feel as thought I need to align myself with a group that includes many people that have a spotty record or disciplinary issues when I spent my career (if I can call it that)..having a clean record and reputation ...easy for me to say ..Ive been topped out for many years. ..but I would support my coworkers if they did....I'm close to the finish and gonna ride this thing out.

You sound like a model short-timer employee who doesn't want to make any waves, which pretty much describes a lot of senior Express employees. They might not like it, but they accept the conditions and realize they are probably better off at this point in life by just going along.