Dallas Mayor Eric Johnson announces he is switching to Republican party

Box Ox

Seems to be the new trend. Get elected as a Democrat and switch parties.

His opinion piece in the WSJ yesterday. Makes a lot of sense to me.

Here's a part of it:

"American cities need Republicans—and Republicans need American cities. When my political hero Theodore Roosevelt was born, only 20% of Americans lived in urban areas. By the time he was elected president, that share had doubled to 40%. Today, it stands at 80%. As America’s cities go, so goes America.

Unfortunately, many of our cities are in disarray. Mayors and other local elected officials have failed to make public safety a priority or to exercise fiscal restraint. Most of these local leaders are proud Democrats who view cities as laboratories for liberalism rather than as havens for opportunity and free enterprise.

Too often, local tax dollars are spent on policies that exacerbate homelessness, coddle criminals and make it harder for ordinary people to make a living. And too many local Democrats insist on virtue signaling—proposing half-baked government programs that aim to solve every single societal ill—and on finding new ways to thumb their noses at Republicans at the state or federal level. Enough. This makes for good headlines, but not for safer, stronger, more vibrant cities."

newolddude

His opinion piece in the WSJ yesterday. Makes a lot of sense to me.

Here's a part of it:

"American cities need Republicans—and Republicans need American cities. When my political hero Theodore Roosevelt was born, only 20% of Americans lived in urban areas. By the time he was elected president, that share had doubled to 40%. Today, it stands at 80%. As America’s cities go, so goes America.

Unfortunately, many of our cities are in disarray. Mayors and other local elected officials have failed to make public safety a priority or to exercise fiscal restraint. Most of these local leaders are proud Democrats who view cities as laboratories for liberalism rather than as havens for opportunity and free enterprise.

Too often, local tax dollars are spent on policies that exacerbate homelessness, coddle criminals and make it harder for ordinary people to make a living. And too many local Democrats insist on virtue signaling—proposing half-baked government programs that aim to solve every single societal ill—and on finding new ways to thumb their noses at Republicans at the state or federal level. Enough. This makes for good headlines, but not for safer, stronger, more vibrant cities."
He is very correct in that in some cities the big lazy Democrat city machines need to be blown up. (I'm looking at you Chicago.)

But this bait-and-switch move is wrong. And I'd same the same thing if a Democrat played a Republican to get elected somewhere red and then switched parties once they took office.

Box Ox

He is very correct in that in some cities the big lazy Democrat city machines need to be blown up. (I'm looking at you Chicago.)

But this bait-and-switch move is wrong. And I'd same the same thing if a Democrat played a Republican to get elected somewhere red and then switched parties once they took office.

He was elected to be mayor of Dallas in June of 2019. It sounds like as a Democrat he's taken a lot of :censored2: from the left for wanting to hold Dallas together since then. Especially from 2020 on. With the continued leftward shift of Democrats, he's basically been doing what are now considered Republican things anyway. And he probably sees his switch as politiclly adventageous. Local Polls likely show that Dallas voters are happy with where he's been taking things.

The top of his WSJ opinion piece:

"I have been mayor of Dallas for more than four years. During that time, my priority has been to make the city safer, stronger and more vibrant. That meant saying no to those who wanted to defund the police. It meant fighting for lower taxes and a friendlier business climate. And it meant investing in family friendly infrastructure such as better parks and trails.

That approach is working. Alone among America’s 10 most populous cities, Dallas has brought violent crime down in every major category, including murder, year-over-year for the past two years."

newolddude

He was elected to be mayor of Dallas in June of 2019. It sounds like as a Democrat he's taken a lot of :censored2: from the left for wanting to hold Dallas together since then. Especially from 2020 on. With the continued leftward shift of Democrats, he's basically been doing what are now considered Republican things anyway. And he probably sees his switch as politiclly adventageous. Local Polls likely show that Dallas voters are happy with where he's been taking things.

The top of his WSJ opinion piece:

"I have been mayor of Dallas for more than four years. During that time, my priority has been to make the city safer, stronger and more vibrant. That meant saying no to those who wanted to defund the police. It meant fighting for lower taxes and a friendlier business climate. And it meant investing in family friendly infrastructure such as better parks and trails.

That approach is working. Alone among America’s 10 most populous cities, Dallas has brought violent crime down in every major category, including murder, year-over-year for the past two years."

So he took some crap, had his feelings hurt and decided to switch. Fine, switch and get elected with his new party. Dont tell me he didn’t have this cooking for months.