Day after Thanksgiving

705red

Browncafe Steward
Hella no I'm not working. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday of the year and I love the 4 day weekend. I'm not in debt and don't need the money. My time off is worth more to me than any dollar amount UPS is going to pay me.

I hate when feeder drivers use the word work! As if they remember those days!:surprised: LMAo

ol'browneye

I volunteered to work on Friday. I am on my vacation option week so I can choose to work. Here's how my pay unfolds: 1)vacation pay, 2) holiday pay, 3)double-time for working the hours I work. Therefore, technically, I am getting paid 4 times my hourly rate for the hours I work Friday! All that plus resi-rural equals the easiest money I can make all year! Why go shopping and fight the crowds when I can make easy money and do my shopping on-line! Swwweeet!:greedy:

browniehound

In the land that I work drivers get paid 8 hours for the holiday. UPS runs an operation the day after thanksgiving in which they deliver NDA, 2-DA, Express and Expedited international packages.

UPS uses air-drivers at straight time because its "their work" according to the contract. Then the company asks for volunteers that will be paid at time and one-half per our supplement. When there are not enough volunteers they force from the bottom and the drivers are paid time and one-half.

Except for letter boxes we don't make pick-ups unless the customer calls the center and pre-arranges it.

My question becomes why does UPS perform this operation? They can't be making money because they are paying the entire workforce to stay home and then double time and one-half for the employees who do work.

Why not just shut it down? Our trucks go out looking like DHL and Fed-Ex trucks on these days and our people are making $60/hour!

Do UPS do it to stay in line with the competition? This has to be a HUGE loss for UPS.

Here is my brilliant theory, lol. It looks like the company has to run the operation to compete with Fed-Ex even though we are losing money. UPS staffs its operations to make service by noon on all its NDA. We always do well on our service. Maybe we should cut the drivers by 50% and sacrifice service. I would only suggest this on holidays.

I suggest this because many of our customers ship premium packages without understanding the service involve. An example would be NDA Early AM's to businesses that don't open until the afternoon?

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
In the land that I work drivers get paid 8 hours for the holiday. UPS runs an operation the day after thanksgiving in which they deliver NDA, 2-DA, Express and Expedited international packages.

UPS uses air-drivers at straight time because its "their work" according to the contract. Then the company asks for volunteers that will be paid at time and one-half per our supplement. When there are not enough volunteers they force from the bottom and the drivers are paid time and one-half.

Except for letter boxes we don't make pick-ups unless the customer calls the center and pre-arranges it.

My question becomes why does UPS perform this operation? They can't be making money because they are paying the entire workforce to stay home and then double time and one-half for the employees who do work.

Why not just shut it down? Our trucks go out looking like DHL and Fed-Ex trucks on these days and our people are making $60/hour!

Do UPS do it to stay in line with the competition? This has to be a HUGE loss for UPS.

Here is my brilliant theory, lol. It looks like the company has to run the operation to compete with Fed-Ex even though we are losing money. UPS staffs its operations to make service by noon on all its NDA. We always do well on our service. Maybe we should cut the drivers by 50% and sacrifice service. I would only suggest this on holidays.

I suggest this because many of our customers ship premium packages without understanding the service involve. An example would be NDA Early AM's to businesses that don't open until the afternoon?

Low man on our seniority totem pole - I was told 6pm Weds that I would be working on Friday

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I think we do the same as well, if it's a regular driver and not the air driver. Heaven forbid the company to pay the air driver top pay for handling ground. LOL

Brownnblue

I've been driving for 22 years and this will be the fourth Black Friday I have worked. The reason is pretty simple; I have the week of New Year's Day off and I want to have the Friday after Christmas off with no guilt or cares. I'll earn the money I'll lose on December 26th tomorrow, that 11 day vacation will be great.

If a customer calls in tomorrow, do they a) get ground packages picked up and b) do they get their regular pickup time?

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
We don't do any ground here (except maybe the UPS store if they need it).

As far as P/U times I believe we do an earlier than normal P/U for those that have air. I am high enough in seniority (this year #1, last year #2) that I don't do P/U's. I go do the rte that I chose and go home.