Dear Joe Public, I'm the Brown Sheep here at the Cafe. I know that. I wondered though

Pullman Brown

with you lurking, watching as customers or just even curious outsiders.

Will you stand shoulder to shoulder with my grandbabies & family holding picket signs claiming UNFAIR 50-hour work weeks for $117,403 a year?

That's $41.05 x 40hrs x 52 = $85,384
Then the OT rate at
$61.575 at 10hrs x 52 = $32,019

32,019 = $117,403 (actually its a bit more because the Union bargained our vacation paid weeks at 45-hours many years ago, but I don't want to split hairs)

I'm the odd man out here, the ugly duckling so it seems. So, Joe the Plumber when I walk out & shoot the bird to UPS for paying me $118,000 a year. Will you stand & support me good buddy?

:-)

It ain't just about you! Drivers/Feeders make up how much of the UPS workforce? I doubt 15%!

Ancient Alien

UPS Vacation
I’m not trying to get in a tit tat with you .... I respect your views on here and like reading your opinions and knowledge...I would hope more people than not would support us...I really doubt it would come to a strike regardless...I do hope if it is not favorable then we send it back at least once to see what can be changed...
Good catch, but add to it because our center like hundreds out there is a production based center and the drivers make 4-ticks per day on average of extra pay so take away the 9-weeks paid (7 vacations + 1 opt week + 1-sick pay week) and 4-ticks a day for 43-weeks is an extra $3,530.30. So $118,000 is an accurate estimate.

You gonna tell the company to eat your shorts at $118,000 and expect Swift & Coke drivers to support us?

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
we don't need public support. when you walk out those doors the packages don't move themselves. Our shippers wont wait weeks to ship packages. ups knows this. we have more leverage then you think.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Don't put up with it. My wife makes great money and when she tells her co-workers what we make and don't pay a dime for benefits their mouths hit the floor. We will get very little support from John Q Public if we were to strike. People won't look at the whole picture just the fact of how much we make and get idiots 7 li ob oe i for what we do. You gotta remember most people just think we carry a box to a door and that's it. We all know there's way more tohhhbh it, but you can't change what mosti ek9 think.
Look, all we have to do is set the narrative. When the camera's arive, be ready with the right people to set the image. Woman, minorities, and children. If they can cry even better. The image is the story, the big, wealthy corporation slamming down the common man.

Johney

Look, all we have to do is set the narrative. When the camera's arive, be ready with the right people to set the image. Woman, minorities, and children. If they can cry even better. The image is the story, the big, wealthy corporation slamming down the common man.
Oh I agree that's what sold it in 97 for sure.

Box Ox

You gonna tell the company to eat your shorts at $118,000 and expect Swift & Coke drivers to support us?

When you explain that the pay argument is just a distraction for mechanisms included in the contract intended to lead to the eventual downfall of the Union and lower quality of life for all UPS employees, yes.

Been In Brown Too Long

Ex-Package Donkey
with you lurking, watching as customers or just even curious outsiders.

Will you stand shoulder to shoulder with my grandbabies & family holding picket signs claiming UNFAIR 50-hour work weeks for $117,403 a year?

That's $41.05 x 40hrs x 52 = $85,384
Then the OT rate at
$61.575 at 10hrs x 52 = $32,019

32,019 = $117,403 (actually its a bit more because the Union bargained our vacation paid weeks at 45-hours many years ago, but I don't want to split hairs)

I'm the odd man out here, the ugly duckling so it seems. So, Joe the Plumber when I walk out & shoot the bird to UPS for paying me $118,000 a year. Will you stand & support me good buddy?

:-)
Your post focuses solely on the money. A lot of the issues the members wanted addressed were not financial. It would appear that those issues have not been addressed or perhaps have lost ground. Yes, it's still assuming since we haven't seen all the language, but you'd have to bet the union would be boasting if improvements in 9.5 language, etc. had been won. A lot of support for teachers was not necessarily for money but class sizes, budgets for supplies, etc.

And whether or not you think you are paid well as a full time driver, having a second tier of drivers will come back to haunt you down the line. UPS will exploit this division in its day to day operations, and in future contract negotiations. Looking at a contract solely for its financial aspects is foolish.

mjjlohn

I’m not trying to get in a tit tat with you .... I respect your views on here and like reading your opinions and knowledge...I would hope more people than not would support us...I really doubt it would come to a strike regardless...I do hope if it is not favorable then we send it back at least once to see what can be changed...
Good catch, but add to it because our center like hundreds out there is a production based center and the drivers make 4-ticks per day on average of extra pay so take away the 9-weeks paid (7 vacations + 1 opt week + 1-sick pay week) and 4-ticks a day for 43-weeks is an extra $3,530.30. So $118,000 is an accurate estimate.

You conveniently ignore what this job leaves you with to make 118k. 0 family time and 0 body left.