Dear Joe Public, I'm the Brown Sheep here at the Cafe. I know that. I wondered though

Been In Brown Too Long

Ex-Package Donkey
Yeah lots of internet company’s 20years a go. Same level of e-commerce too
My point was everything you said, no other company can pick up the extra volume, we'll be ordered back to work for the good of the country/economy, blah, blah blah. Who gives a flying friend whether the volume was internet, e-commerce or not. Businesses relied on us just as much before all the internet stuff. The volume just comes from a different source now.

And as I said, in spite of all of that, we went on strike.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
My point was everything you said, no other company can pick up the extra volume, we'll be ordered back to work for the good of the country/economy, blah, blah blah. Who gives a flying friend whether the volume was internet, e-commerce or not. Businesses relied on us just as much before all the internet stuff. The volume just comes from a different source now.

And as I said, in spite of all of that, we went on strike.
We were something like 3-5 percent of the GNP back in 97.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
The local cops here are all union , they pulled up one day with a car full of pizzas from the boys n blue , asked us to behave and handed out pizza to all , the public we’re almost all 100% behind us too

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Don't put up with it. My wife makes great money and when she tells her co-workers what we make and don't pay a dime for benefits their mouths hit the floor. We will get very little support from John Q Public if we were to strike. People won't look at the whole picture just the fact of how much we make and get for what we do. You gotta remember most people just think we carry a box to a door and that's it. We all know there's way more to it, but you can't change what most think.
It's funny I was telling my wife about my driver helper this year. Her family runs a decent sized business out of their garage.

After about 3 days she's like I'm telling my dad we have to make some changes to the entry and exits to the garage. You guys must hate delivering to our place.

Ones opinion can change very fast after doing this for a couple days.

Brownslave688

I don't buy this crap. I think it was started by UPS making a new account on BC and saying its was so!

I don't think Jr. or Dennis would grab their ankles and say, "as deep as you can please," in proposing this!

Don't get me wrong, I think UPS played them like puppets but there is only so much whoring one can buy with money!
The guys got kicked off the negotiating committee that leaked the info that this was Dennis' idea.

There's a pension problem coming home to roost very soon for the teamsters and they need more ft to try and fix it. So they are drooling at the thought of his. Being told it will give them tons of new ft employees.

I think this very likely a union proposal. Afterall if there's no pension suddenly the union becomes much less desirable.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
with you lurking, watching as customers or just even curious outsiders.

Will you stand shoulder to shoulder with my grandbabies & family holding picket signs claiming UNFAIR 50-hour work weeks for $117,403 a year?

That's $41.05 x 40hrs x 52 = $85,384
Then the OT rate at
$61.575 at 10hrs x 52 = $32,019

32,019 = $117,403 (actually its a bit more because the Union bargained our vacation paid weeks at 45-hours many years ago, but I don't want to split hairs)

I'm the odd man out here, the ugly duckling so it seems. So, Joe the Plumber when I walk out & shoot the bird to UPS for paying me $118,000 a year. Will you stand & support me good buddy?

:-)

im-sorry-who-are-you-meme.png

no_map_needed

Knowledge is key, Experience is power.
This guy must've been hired off the street hooked up by a corrupt center manager or something. Most workers put in 10+ years just for a chance to get there. Also we're not at that rate yet. Most drivers will be close to 20+ years in at that point.

oldngray

nowhere special
The guys got kicked off the negotiating committee that leaked the info that this was Dennis' idea.

There's a pension problem coming home to roost very soon for the teamsters and they need more ft to try and fix it. So they are drooling at the thought of his. Being told it will give them tons of new ft employees.

I think this very likely a union proposal. Afterall if there's no pension suddenly the union becomes much less desirable.

Retirees can't vote so pensions are low on their priority list. The union will sacrifice fixing pensions over their desire to merely survive by keeping enough members.

Pensions are a UPS bargaining chip. With out ups, they all fail.

Daf

with you lurking, watching as customers or just even curious outsiders.

Will you stand shoulder to shoulder with my grandbabies & family holding picket signs claiming UNFAIR 50-hour work weeks for $117,403 a year?

That's $41.05 x 40hrs x 52 = $85,384
Then the OT rate at
$61.575 at 10hrs x 52 = $32,019

32,019 = $117,403 (actually its a bit more because the Union bargained our vacation paid weeks at 45-hours many years ago, but I don't want to split hairs)

I'm the odd man out here, the ugly duckling so it seems. So, Joe the Plumber when I walk out & shoot the bird to UPS for paying me $118,000 a year. Will you stand & support me good buddy?

:-)
It is not the top rate people!!! You need to take care of the part timers! Why does your post not mention anything about them.

Brownslave688

Retirees can't vote so pensions are low on their priority list. The union will sacrifice fixing pensions over their desire to merely survive by keeping enough members.
No some active members have had their pensions cut and I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen to many more over the next 5-10 years.

The most active union members are guys with 20+ years. You better believe they are worried about pensions.

Chester

No some active members have had their pensions cut and I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen to many more over the next 5-10 years.

The most active union members are guys with 20+ years. You better believe they are worried about pensions.
That’s you have to save $iike pension won’t be there

Brownslave688

That’s you have to save $iike pension won’t be there
I agree but for many guys it's too late to make any real dent.

For my generation we know it's a different set of rules.

For my parents generation they grew up with the thought work 30 years get a pension. Worked for their parents after all. But many have had that rug pulled out from under at the last second.