Delivering against flow of traffic?

dezguy

LOL Obviously you have never been to a Nascar race and gone to the camp ground the night after a day of partying and drinking. It is legendary. You should look on youtube. Way too wild for me to participate but very enjoyable if you like to people watch.
The 24hrs of Daytona is much the same. You meet some "interesting" people, once the sun goes down.

nextlife

If you close the bulkhead door and shut the truck off too We'll be even more proud

I always turn the engine off because I love the earth and hate pollution...But is it really necessary to close the bulkhead door while running the package to the door at every stop?

dezguy

trollorjuststupid.jpg

Oldfart

The 24hrs of Daytona is much the same. You meet some "interesting" people, once the sun goes down.
Never been to that. Been to the 500 and the Supercross but not any other car races at Daytona. Its the same at NHRA races. Some fans get so tore up they never make it to the race.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
I always turn the engine off because I love the earth and hate pollution...But is it really necessary to close the bulkhead door while running the package to the door at every stop?
I'll take your bait. Put into perspective, would you be cavalier about closing your bulkhead if you had to take financial responsibility for the value of every package in your truck? If so, you have much deeper pockets than I.

overflowed

Why? Nobody has explained this to me. Is it solely for security, a deterrent? Please try to keep the insults to a minimum please - I know how it is here, people are very rude.
So if you're with ground I understand you don't understand. Your trucks have been stolen many times because the contractor doesn't want the starter to die. Yes, the bulkhead is a deterrent to theft. Just ask you're contractor for training. Actually ask the station manager for training because the contractors don't care. Also , don't drive against traffic buddy, it's actually a dangerous thing to do , even on dead end streets. You will be fired if you run over anything. Even a ball if someone complains.

nextlife

I'll take your bait. Put into perspective, would you be cavalier about closing your bulkhead if you had to take financial responsibility for the value of every package in your truck? If so, you have much deeper pockets than I.

I can understand closing and locking it when I am gone longer than 10 seconds, but for the majority of my stops I am not away from the truck for longer than 10 seconds. Furthermore, it is in my view for 5 of the 10 seconds

SmithBarney

Are these serious questions?

You park on the correct side of the road, deliver the even address and then cross behind the package car to deliver the two odd address across the street.

I agree except crossing behind package car, because if someone rear ends you, while your back there, you are squished.. I use the truck to protect me..

SmithBarney

Why? Nobody has explained this to me. Is it solely for security, a deterrent? Please try to keep the insults to a minimum please - I know how it is here, people are very rude.
Security, and it needs to be closed while your driving to the next stop anyway so might as well close it on the way out... saves you time and energy as you can close it in the direction you are traveling out the side door.

nextlife

Security, and it needs to be closed while your driving to the next stop anyway so might as well close it on the way out... saves you time and energy as you can close it in the direction you are traveling out the side door.

I always have it closed while driving. Once I am at my stop I open the bulkhead, get out my package and deliver it(I usually keep the bulkhead open unless I am gone longer than 10 seconds). I come back and scan my next package and then close the bulkhead.

SmithBarney

... I come back and scan my next package and then close the bulkhead.

That's a problem you don't scan next package until you are at the next stop, you are wasting time. Also now FEG might be different, but at Express, GPS coordinates are recorded at scan time. You are supposed to SCAN and RELEASE(or get Sig) at the delivery location. Otherwise it can look like falsification(Scanning a package at 100Main street, then 5 minutes later releasing it at 500main street, could raise questions around here.)

But mostly you are wasting time going into the back the truck an extra time.
If you don't know your next stop you should be looking at your next few when picking your current package(assuming they are in order on the shelf)

nextlife

That's a problem you don't scan next package until you are at the next stop, you are wasting time. Also now FEG might be different, but at Express, GPS coordinates are recorded at scan time. You are supposed to SCAN and RELEASE(or get Sig) at the delivery location. Otherwise it can look like falsification(Scanning a package at 100Main street, then 5 minutes later releasing it at 500main street, could raise questions around here.)

But mostly you are wasting time going into the back the truck an extra time.
If you don't know your next stop you should be looking at your next few when picking your current package(assuming they are in order on the shelf)

Scanning the package before driving to my next stop is how I was taught. If you don't scan before driving to the next stop and you forget the address than you have to stop the truck and check the package. If you do scan the package and forget the address then all you have to do is glance down at the scanner and the address is in bold. Also, our scanners aren't new and updated. When you scan the package there is a 2 second delay before you can see how many packages are at the next stop, and if a signature is required. So it's good to have the delay happen while I am driving instead of waiting for it in the cab - if that makes any sense.

SmithBarney

Scanning the package before driving to my next stop is how I was taught. If you don't scan before driving to the next stop and you forget the address than you have to stop the truck and check the package..
Well that's not how the big boys do it(UPS and Express), we remember. And lets say for every 50 stops you go back there for 15-30seconds to find and scan the next box, thats 12-24minutes wasted(over 100stops you are looking at up to an hour of wasted time), you get paid by the package, faster you get home the better $/hr

!Retired!

I have a keyless truck. The truck won't start unless the back door, bulkhead door AND drivers door are closed. Passenger door can remain open.
Scanning the package before driving to my next stop is how I was taught.
The problem with this is......since the powerpads have GPS, if you pull up to the wrong address (456 Main St instead of 465 Main St), the GPS will show you scanned it in a totally different location. If the customer calls to say they can't find the package, you may or may not remember the stop.