Delivery truck hits pedestrian in fatal accident

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
did anyone find anymore details about this accident? was the person hit crawling in front of the truck because of a leg/foot injury to cross the street that way or was he walking along or getting ready to cross street and twisted his ankle or something and fell in front of the package car?

whatever it was , it sounds like a freak accident . unfortunate.

Chester

Ok. Apologies. Did not realize you are one of those that just likes to argue with anything management says so you can feel superior. My bad.
The method taught in integrad for crossing back to the vehicle is to take the most direct safe path to the front of the vehicle. You haven't crossed the street yet. Now look in front of the vehicle, when traffic is clear obviously, you cross to the nearest entrance which would be driver side and enter. You should not have to worry about traffic at this point because you just cleared it. Then it's normal start car, check both mirrors and look over left shoulder etc. I did not explain it well, but that's what's taught.

By the way, the course and methods were put together in concert with vehicle safety professionals that as a group have way more experience behind the wheel than you or I or any 20 drivers put together. There is also room for comon sense, you always adjust to changing conditions.

Clearly you just want to have a fight about this, which is fine. This was a freak accident and I feel for the family of the victim and the driver. It's a horrible situation.
I am superior to YOU when it comes to doing MY job. 22 years of safe driving and injury free. You’re on a forum that is 99% union but I’m the one looking for a fight?

brownIEman

I am superior to YOU when it comes to doing MY job. 22 years of safe driving and injury free. You’re on a forum that is 99% union but I’m the one looking for a fight?

Good Lord I would hope you're a better driver than me, that's your job. As I'm quite certain I'm the superior ORS, as that was my job.

The forum was built for UPSers as I understand it, if you want to view it as a union echo chamber where no other viewpoints are welcome, that's fine but it doesn't belong to you.

I was merely trying to clarify a point about methods.

As a complete aside, congrats on 22 years no accidents or injuries. I mean that, no snark or sarcasm. That is huge and you should be proud. I wish the company had made safety recognition a prime priority and immune from cost cutting measures.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Good Lord I would hope you're a better driver than me, that's your job. As I'm quite certain I'm the superior ORS, as that was my job.

The forum was built for UPSers as I understand it, if you want to view it as a union echo chamber where no other viewpoints are welcome, that's fine but it doesn't belong to you.

As a complete aside, congrats on 22 years no accidents or injuries. I mean that, no snark or sarcasm. That is huge and you should be proud. I wish the company had made safety recognition a prime priority and immune from cost cutting measures.
Well said.
My 20 year safe driving plaque is one of my proudest possessions.

People here should have more tolerance for differing opinions.

Chester

Sorry for being a prick, I’m just aggravated at the on road sups we have today compared to when I first started. Laziness drives me crazy.

Parcelist

Ok, trying to logically walk through this, Ankle twist or whatever ailment that has forced you to the ground. To save your life, would you not try to scream at the top of your lungs? "STOP!" "HELP!" even though you have engine noise, I have a hard time believing that the driver would not hear them.

Chester

Ok, trying to logically walk through this, Ankle twist or whatever ailment that has forced you to the ground. To save your life, would you not try to scream at the top of your lungs? "STOP!" "HELP!" even though you have engine noise, I have a hard time believing that the driver would not hear them.
Maybe he was on phone (Bluetooth)

wilberforce15

I know neither the law nor UPS will ever treat it this way, and we really shouldn't drive this way, but......

I think every accident with a pedestrian on a road should be considered entirely the pedestrian's fault unless the driver was doing something completely ridiculous.

Roads were made for vehicles. If you're not a vehicle, you need to respect the fact that you're on turf meant for something else and behave accordingly. Any crash on a sidewalk is the truck's fault, so any crash on the road is the pedestrian's fault, outside of truly ridiculous or intentional recklessness.

When I walk into a street, I expect absolutely nothing of the vehicles and it's my job not to get hit.