Delivery truck hits pedestrian in fatal accident

F

Frankie's Friend

Well you named a specific location, have you been to India or just watch a lot of Nat Geo?
Images from when I was in school about the many invalids in India and how they dragged themselves places (often to beg) using their arms always stuck in my memory.

I'm not sure if it was due to TB with little to no medical facilities available and there may be other countries in the same boat but the images were pronounced.

Some accidents are not preventable (very few in the company's eyes) but I know way too many drivers that give LRL a quick glance and then go.

This issue was extreme but we encounter extreme stupidity every week and the general public is typically nonchalant in their lifestyle in regards to safety either on foot or driving.

We take a lot for granted.
That's all I'm saying.

Chester

Images from when I was in school about the many invalids in India and how they dragged themselves places (often to beg) using their arms always stuck in my memory.

I'm not sure if it was due to TB with little to no medical facilities available and there may be other countries in the same boat but the images were pronounced.

Some accidents are not preventable (very few in the company's eyes) but I know way too many drivers that give LRL a quick glance and then go.

This issue was extreme but we encounter extreme stupidity every week and the general public is typically nonchalant in their lifestyle in regards to safety either on foot or driving.

We take a lot for granted.
That's all I'm saying.
Well the safest walk path is behind the truck right? We are all trained that way, when exactly are we supposed to look under front bumper, only solution is to put a camera under there, but we all know it’s safety first unless it’s costs $$$$$!

F

Frankie's Friend

Well the safest walk path is behind the truck right? We are all trained that way, when exactly are we supposed to look under front bumper, only solution is to put a camera under there, but we all know it’s safety first unless it’s costs $$$$$!
Need a cattle/deer pusher on the front like a train.

Uh, well maybe it wont help in India after all.

brownIEman

Not trying to pick a fight, just clarifying. Crossing the street behind the vehicle is the method taught for crossing to the delivery point prior to the delivery. Crossing back to the car after delivery the method is take the most direct path to the drivers side and glance in front of the car before entering.
At least that's what was taught at integrad.

Chester

Not trying to pick a fight, just clarifying. Crossing the street behind the vehicle is the method taught for crossing to the delivery point prior to the delivery. Crossing back to the car after delivery the method is take the most direct path to the drivers side and glance in front of the car before entering.
Why would I enter thru driver side, that’s usually traffic side. What’s the purpose of folding mirror in then if integrad thinks that’s the safest side to enter. What if most direct path is thru yard or field, rolled my ankle, why did you walk thru yard? Common sense and actual job knowledge always prevails. This is what happens when you promote people to do training or be a driver sup who have never done the job.

I don't cross behind the vehicle.

brownIEman

Why would I enter thru driver side, that’s usually traffic side. What’s the purpose of folding mirror in then if integrad thinks that’s the safest side to enter. What if most direct path is thru yard or field, rolled my ankle, why did you walk thru yard? Common sense and actual job knowledge always prevails. This is what happens when you promote people to do training or be a driver sup who have never done the job.

Ok. Apologies. Did not realize you are one of those that just likes to argue with anything management says so you can feel superior. My bad.
The method taught in integrad for crossing back to the vehicle is to take the most direct safe path to the front of the vehicle. You haven't crossed the street yet. Now look in front of the vehicle, when traffic is clear obviously, you cross to the nearest entrance which would be driver side and enter. You should not have to worry about traffic at this point because you just cleared it. Then it's normal start car, check both mirrors and look over left shoulder etc. I did not explain it well, but that's what's taught.

By the way, the course and methods were put together in concert with vehicle safety professionals that as a group have way more experience behind the wheel than you or I or any 20 drivers put together. There is also room for comon sense, you always adjust to changing conditions.

Clearly you just want to have a fight about this, which is fine. This was a freak accident and I feel for the family of the victim and the driver. It's a horrible situation.

brownIEman

I don't cross behind the vehicle.

As long as you are always, never fail, looking LRL prior to stepping out it's not that big of a deal IMHO. I never busted my drivers chops about it much. We teach crossing from the rear because statistics say you are much more likely to get run over when crossing from the front. Common sense will tell you statistics say that because of the number of numbskulls that step out with out looking into the path of a car when their parked vehicle is blocking their view of the car and the view that car's driver would have of them.

As long as you are always, never fail, looking LRL prior to stepping out it's not that big of a deal IMHO. I never busted my drivers chops about it much. We teach crossing from the rear because statistics say you are much more likely to get run over when crossing from the front. Common sense will tell you statistics say that because of the number of numbskulls that step out with out looking into the path of a car when their parked vehicle is blocking their view of the car and the view that car's driver would have of them.
Tight high traffic area, no way in Hell am I walking behind my truck.

Are you that guy in class that would argue that we should not wear seatbelts because of that 1 in 600,000 accidents where you might be better off without it?
No. But all the methods do not work the same for everyone. I like to carry stuff on my shoulder because if I'm carrying something to heavy in front of me it hurts my back. I know my limitations.

Like I said, does not matter as long as you are looking. Just remember coming out from the front, they can't see you.
I walk away to the right of the vehicle, not straight across. I use the stuff they taught me in elementary school about crosswalk safety. Stop, look and listen.

Trust me, the very last thing I want to do at work is to get injured.

brownIEman

No. But all the methods do not work the same for everyone. I like to carry stuff on my shoulder because if I'm carrying something to heavy in front of me it hurts my back. I know my limitations.

Yeah, I used to put stuff on my shoulder as well. Let's just keep that between the two of us though...

UPS can't teach "just use common sense, do what works best for you and be careful" because of the huge lawsuits it would have from the numbskulls doing something spectacular stupid and claiming they were told to do it.

Yeah, I used to put stuff on my shoulder as well. Let's just keep that between the two of us though...

UPS can't teach "just use common sense, do what works best for you and be careful" because of the huge lawsuits it would have from the numbskulls doing something spectacular stupid and claiming they were told to do it.
How do you carry an 8 foot rug in your power zone?