Depth of knowledge (re)memorization...

J

Jerry Gallo

Any other hubs/centers out there getting harassed to know the 10 point commentary, 5 seeing habits, & all the other safety jazz at a moments notice due to multiple failed audits?

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
We haven't been bothered other than having to do computer crap once a month and having to do a dok paper about once a month. My on car verbally asks a few guys to recite them every now and then.

letticesandwich

I'm waiting for it. One of my part time sups is a women my age that I talk with. She is friendly, but its work at UPS. Must be politically correct at all times. I said that to her and she said it doesn't matter to her. So if she asks me, I think I may bust out New kids on the block lyrics. Step one! we can have lots of fun! Step two! So much we can do!

Then my thinking got a little perverted. I would not suggest doing this. Get close. like an inch away close. feet shoulder width apart. bend at the knees slightly to go around her thighs. test the weight with a bump or nudge. grab opposite ends, front and rear. lift with a smooth even motion. Do not twist or turn, pivot at the hips. Use the existing equipment, maybe the 4000 section.

Not gonna happen, but it made me laugh

J

Jerry Gallo

We were told by 1 ofour stewards to try to comply w/ mgmt. on this, but it's not a fireable offense, kinda like OA. Mgmt. saying warning letters may be sent out for not knowing. I've only been driving since April, so OC says, these should be fresh! Yeah, since that's all I think about each day out there w/ air, & other random area knowledge issue I get w/ going out on junk & blind routes everyday. I practice them all day while driving, doesn't mean I'm going to know them verbatim while being put on the spot. Garbage!

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I'm waiting for it. One of my part time sups is a women my age that I talk with. She is friendly, but its work at UPS. Must be politically correct at all times. I said that to her and she said it doesn't matter to her. So if she asks me, I think I may bust out New kids on the block lyrics. Step one! we can have lots of fun! Step two! So much we can do!

Then my thinking got a little perverted. I would not suggest doing this. Get close. like an inch away close. feet shoulder width apart. bend at the knees slightly to go around her thighs. test the weight with a bump or nudge. grab opposite ends, front and rear. lift with a smooth even motion. Do not twist or turn, pivot at the hips. Use the existing equipment, maybe the 4000 section.

I rode with a female on car once that was cool as hell. She bought me lunch and when we met she was like "we're gonna have fun today. We're going to have some sex in the back of the package car and get done early." She was not someone you'd want to make good on the sex promise part, but she was still fun.

UPSGUY72

Any other hubs/centers out there getting harassed to know the 10 point commentary, 5 seeing habits, & all the other safety jazz at a moments notice due to multiple failed audits?

NO The union memeber in my building have come to the conclusion it's just easier know the Safety dribble and pass are Audits and then we don't get harassed.

But apparently you and the rest of the people at your center must like doing things the hard way. If you just learn the Safety Dribble than your center would have past the MULTIPLE AUDITS that you failed and then you wouldn't be getting harassed to know it. But keep doing it your way it seems to be working out for you..

Your title is wrong it's not (RE) memorization in your case since you didn't know it to start.

upschuck

When the auditors come in our center, as long as you try and make an attempt at it, your ok. We did have a feeder driver sent home until he could recite them for saying he didn't need to know it and walked away.

upschuck

We are all a little/a lot perverted.

UPSGUY72

If you know it and they know you know it they will not bother you even the internal auditors avoid certain people in my building (me included ) because they know we know it and they are wasting there time asking us.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I just keep letting them ask me and I keep getting some wrong. Oh well. Pay me to learn it and maybe I'll put more effort into it. But I'm certainly not going to do it on my own time.

JL 0513

Unfortunately, you are fully expected to learn DOK's on your own time. It's BS but it's a job requirement.

I dear someone to stay on the clock after a shift to study DOK's. Let's see what happens.

In my center, we all have to fully recite them to a sup every single month. A real big waste of resources IMO but the company is really serious about them now.

I don't think knowing all these verbatim increases our safety. Just knowing all the concepts would help safety. They place far too much importance on knowing it word for word. When we went to driving school, they would mark entire rules wrong for once missing word. Which was a big deal since we needed a 95% score to pass.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

It's funny.... how this comes up every couple months.

In my local we have an agreement that it's not a term of employment. NLRB charges were filed.

Yep.

Every time this does come up.... I post the same response.

It's not a "condition" of continued employment.

It was agreed to, back in 2008.... at the National level.

If it is a requirement of being hired.... the company has that right.

When the auditors come in our center, as long as you try and make an attempt at it, your ok. We did have a feeder driver sent home until he could recite them for saying he didn't need to know it and walked away.

Part of the agreement was.... the company could "encourage" employees to learn it.

Being sent home or threatened with discipline ? Nope. He should have filed a grievance.

Pay me to learn it and maybe I'll put more effort into it. But I'm certainly not going to do it on my own time.

In my Local, they pay feeder drivers an hour a month.... to write that dribble down.

It doesn't matter if they even get it right. :happy-very:

Unfortunately, you are fully expected to learn DOK's on your own time. It's BS but it's a job requirement.

I dare someone to stay on the clock after a shift to study DOK's. Let's see what happens.

BS.... beyond BS.

When this issue comes up, here on the forum....

I wonder, how people don't know this ??

Then I remember....

70% of the members didn't even vote on their own contract.

​-Bug-

J

Jerry Gallo

A lot of senior drivers in my center. 1 told me he got picked & said, "I don't know... All good kids like milk." Another 1 said, "I don't know. Both my parents are dying of Altzheimers." He smiled, I chuckled. Then felt kinda bad, 'cause it really is true. I knew them for the starting driving class, got 100%. Sure as ---- don't have them memorized now!