Devices

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
Count my backs all you want.
No power steering on a P5, with the turning radius of a cruise ship, tends to make one do a ten point turn instead of a 3 point.
Meth heads that live a half mile back in the woods do not bother to build driveways or cut any trees around the trailer that was moved in 2 decades ago.
I counted one time a 15 point turn to get out of one hellhole while the "owner" was yelling from the trailer, "Ya better not hit any of my trees or I will sue UPS."
Count my backs, I really could care less.

You are right about the turning radius of a P5. This past weekend when I went into town I noticed as driving past the UPS building there were only 3 P5's along the fence. I signed for my neighbors sig required pkg yesterday & I asked the driver about the P5's & he said that is all that's left. He said 10 new cars showed up one night & 10 P5's were gone. He joked if you would have retired sooner they might have got the new cars quicker!

leastbest

LeastBest
They can count anything they want, I don't give a rat's ass. I do my job as instructed. If they don't want me to back I won't. I'd be happy to drive around each block or walk the packages an extra 100 yards. I don't care.

I do the job to the best of my ability. If they don't like the way I do it all they have to do is instruct me to do it differently.

I'm an expert at what I do and if they want me to do it their way I'm happy to do it. Worked with EDD.

Randy
www.leastbest.com

PassYouBy

Unknown Acrobat
The really sad thing is that some IE or safety maroon just read that and is thinking, "Say....that's a good idea!"

Would a left hand turn be considered a right hand turn then? If so, that means we will be sitting at traffic lights waiting to turn left, or is it right?:clubbing:

steeltoe

I would tend to believe that the responses to the backing device being that is in the contract is valid. It seems that there are many, many questions on this board that are contractual questions. Here is my problem with such questions. If you are asking a basic question that is answered in the contract, such as this one, I would certainly hope you did not vote on the contract. I don't care if you voted yes or no, you should not vote if you do not know what is in the package.

I am a part-timer an knew this language was in the contract, and it had nothing to do with my job classification. I read the entire thing and voted accordingly. It is frustrating to hear see such basic contract questions being asked, and you have a feeling the person voted on the contract.

browniehound

Do you really care if they put that in your truck? I don't. What are they going to do to you? If they really don't want us to back then they would take reverse out of the vehicle. Sounds absurd, right?

Just do yourself and the public a favor and back only when necessary. Obviously we have to back to docks and I believe these are the safest places to back. I think we need to be extra cautious in uncertain areas like driveways and docks where we have to block traffic on both sides of a main road.

If we follow the rules of backing and are aware of children and pedestrians in residential areas, then backing can be the most logical and effcient manuveur to make.

Just think and look before you do it. If you do this and just don't throw it in reverse and back you should be OK.

jds4lunch

What the hell is YOUPS??
You are right about the turning radius of a P5. This past weekend when I went into town I noticed as driving past the UPS building there were only 3 P5's along the fence. I signed for my neighbors sig required pkg yesterday & I asked the driver about the P5's & he said that is all that's left. He said 10 new cars showed up one night & 10 P5's were gone. He joked if you would have retired sooner they might have got the new cars quicker!

Same story here, seems like they're replacing all the p5's with propane p57's

drewed

Shankman
Where in the contract is a device that counts the number of shifts into reverse? Specifically which article?

Its a safety concern so UPS can track it under the safety language.....We all have to remember these are UPS's vehicles, they pay for them, they pay the gas, insurance, upkeep, etc so they can do with as they please, just like they can put sensors in the seatbelts to make sure youre wearing them and the bulkhead door being closed.

You shouldnt be disciplined for it, atleast intitially if you are found to be excessive backing youre wasting time and causing a safety hazard, any discipline done would need to be observed but if you draw attention to yourself by shifting in to R 100xs a day, youre probably going to get a ride with/observed sometime in the near future

filthpig

Its a safety concern so UPS can track it under the safety language.....We all have to remember these are UPS's vehicles, they pay for them, they pay the gas, insurance, upkeep, etc so they can do with as they please, just like they can put sensors in the seatbelts to make sure youre wearing them and the bulkhead door being closed.

You shouldnt be disciplined for it, atleast intitially if you are found to be excessive backing youre wasting time and causing a safety hazard, any discipline done would need to be observed but if you draw attention to yourself by shifting in to R 100xs a day, youre probably going to get a ride with/observed sometime in the near future
As Slim Jim said, "Eat Me!"

rod

Retired 22 years
What is the DEAL,appears in my ctr they have this device they can plug into the reverse lights,to see how many times you are backing. I seen ctr mgr with a screw driver and said device,taking apart my pkg car.I went to my steward and told him what was going on.:biting:They are doing anything to harrass us .

The really amazing thing is that his center manager actually knows how to use a screwdriver:peaceful:

feeder53

ADKtrails
In my opinion, it is their vehicle and they can do what they like. I know there is equipment available to monitor every system in a vehicle. If I must back up, then I must back up. My work speaks for its self.