Devices

UPS Lifer

:crazy2:This thread is crazy! I can't believe anyone cares that UPS puts a device on your car to measure backing!!!

I guess I am glad I am gone. There is no way in holy hell that I would EVER monitor the number of hits on the reverse lights!!! WOW!!!!

I would be flat out embarrassed to go up to a driver and lecture them on reverse light hits! Again... WOW O WOW!

I might see some practical use for a new driver (pre-seniority) in training to eliminate the backing habit. BUT THAT IS IT!

And another thing..... Any manager that has that has the steel balls to bring this to your attention ... really has no balls at all! This means that his/her boss has been able to make them think this is a good thing.... Again WOW!

(Sorry for the use of so many WOWs!!!)

Worry about something of real importance .... like backing accidents! I am really surprised that anyone cares at all about this backing monitor device.... WOW!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

...Worry about something of real importance .... like backing accidents! I am really surprised that anyone cares at all about this backing monitor device.... WOW!

Lifer, I agree with your post up to a point. I am a 19 yr veteran driver and, yes, I would be steamed if someone came up to me and told me how many times I had backed yesterday. However, that being said, I have to believe that there are a number of drivers who simply do not realize how many times they back during the day.

Several years ago our safety guru gave us his spiel on backing so I took it upon myself to log all of the backs that I made during the day and the type of back (drivers, straight, blind) that I made. I wrote the number that I thought I would end up with at the top of the page and then listed each back. I think I had guessed 25--it was closer to 50.

I would hope that this back up tool is being used as an informative tool only and not for disciplinary purposes.

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
:crazy2:This thread is crazy! I can't believe anyone cares that UPS puts a device on your car to measure backing!!!

I guess I am glad I am gone. There is no way in holy hell that I would EVER monitor the number of hits on the reverse lights!!! WOW!!!!

I would be flat out embarrassed to go up to a driver and lecture them on reverse light hits! Again... WOW O WOW!

I might see some practical use for a new driver (pre-seniority) in training to eliminate the backing habit. BUT THAT IS IT!

And another thing..... Any manager that has that has the steel balls to bring this to your attention ... really has no balls at all! This means that his/her boss has been able to make them think this is a good thing.... Again WOW!

Worry about something of real importance .... like backing accidents! I am really surprised that anyone cares at all about this backing monitor device.... WOW!

Yeah, but you let them get away with the reverse light monitor, next thing you know, you'll have opposite-corner sensors on the boxes, foot placement locators, three-point entering monitors.....where will it end?

Bottom line - as with most concerns like this - you do your job right, you have nothing to be defensive about. "Why did you put the car in reverse two hundred eighty seven times yesterday, Bob?" The answer is "Because I didn't need to do it two hundred eighty eight times"

UPS Lifer

I guess that I don't see any harm with awareness but the actual backing habits or routine are what make you safe. If you make 100 backs a day vs 50 backs a day and do one thing wrong each time you are risking an accident but if you do everything correct every time you back the odds are much less no matter how many times you back.

The only true way to help a driver is to go out and observe the backing habit or routine. Work on issues to improve that routine.

cino321

Want me to back less? Give me a truck with power steering.

Put this way I have to back into the garage door in my building just to back into my bay. When I get to my bay, I then have to move at least 2 cars (which involves backing) so I can fit into my bay. That is at least 20 times.

Dutch Dawg

The really amazing thing is that his center manager actually knows how to use a screwdriver:peaceful:

I'm equally as amazed that no one has suggested the turning of a screwdriver on a vehicle is automotive's work and the mechanic should file for it.:happy-very: Or did I miss that?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I'm equally as amazed that no one has suggested the turning of a screwdriver on a vehicle is automotive's work and the mechanic should file for it.:happy-very: Or did I miss that?
It might be their work, but they are more than happy to let me do it if I have a break down and call it in. I have replaced flashers, replaced radiator caps, added oil and adjusted/replaced the brake light switch on the brake pedal. The shop will call whatever auto parts store I am at and pay for the part over the phone with a credit card. It sure beats paying for a tow.

BINGO!!! we have a winner from the management pool. Good post Lifer.
And you described my center manager to a T when you said:
Any manager that has that has the steel balls to bring this to your attention ... really has no balls at all! This means that his/her boss has been able to make them think this is a good thing.

jds4lunch

What the hell is YOUPS??

Be careful lifer, management may decide to put a "WOW" counter on all your posts. Remember the 5 posting habits browncafe-ers. Only "WOW" when necessarry.