Diabetes and Package delivery driver

CleanCarl

Hey, Just applied and had a successful interview. I have T1 diabetes (Insulin Controlled). With a good A1C. I'm curious if anyone can point me in the right direction to getting the medical exemption. I found a form for CDL drivers, but I'll just be driving a package truck with my regular license. I live in New York if that helps.

I have great doctors, and I'm under control. But I need this job, and I want to streamline it as much as possible. I've read a few forum posts saying you need an exemption, but it also appeared that the state it was referring too was still using class C licenses, NY has gotten rid of Class C, so I'll be using my standard Class D license.

Any insight will be greatly appreciated. My initial road test before integrad is on Monday. Nobody knows I have diabetes yet, I'm also confused as to when I should tell UPS about it.

I'd also love to hear about what the DOT physical is like, what they're testing for. I was told they do a urine test to check for diseases like diabetes and things of that nature.

Thanks for the Help!

CleanCarl

As far as I know insulin means no DOT card
That changed back in 2005.

"as part of the transportation bill passed by Congress in July 2005, and signed into law by President Bush in August 2005, people who use insulin to treat their diabetes will have an easier time getting an exemption that will allow them to drive trucks and other commercial vehicles in interstate commerce."

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
Hey, Just applied and had a successful interview. I have T1 diabetes (Insulin Controlled). With a good A1C. I'm curious if anyone can point me in the right direction to getting the medical exemption. I found a form for CDL drivers, but I'll just be driving a package truck with my regular license. I live in New York if that helps.

I have great doctors, and I'm under control. But I need this job, and I want to streamline it as much as possible. I've read a few forum posts saying you need an exemption, but it also appeared that the state it was referring too was still using class C licenses, NY has gotten rid of Class C, so I'll be using my standard Class D license.

Any insight will be greatly appreciated. My initial road test before integrad is on Monday. Nobody knows I have diabetes yet, I'm also confused as to when I should tell UPS about it.

I'd also love to hear about what the DOT physical is like, what they're testing for. I was told they do a urine test to check for diseases like diabetes and things of that nature.

Thanks for the Help!
Wait for an answer from dave

bbsam

Staff member
I have an employee going through this right now. Takes 3 to 6 months to get an FMCSA waiver to get a DOT card.

Last edited:

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
BA98E131-C093-4870-8BD9-402DEE460F4F.gif
doc holiday had tb, but he still rode a horse to kill Johnny ringo for Wyatt earp

CleanCarl

I have an employee going through this right now. Takes 3 to 6 months to get an FMCSA waiver to set a DOT card.
any idea on how I can get the process rolling so that when it comes time I can be ready, or close to ready? and when should I be disclosing to UPS about diabetes?

Box Ox

any idea on how I can get the process rolling so that when it comes time I can be ready, or close to ready? and when should I be disclosing to UPS about diabetes?

I think you don’t offer it up to UPS unless asked but absolutely, 100% disclose it at your DOT physical.

I’ve known diabetic drivers that have done fine on the job.

bbsam

Staff member
I believe it’s one of those things that just comes up at the DOT physical. Might talk to your endocrinologist.