Diabetes and Package delivery driver

CleanCarl

Google commercial driver diabetes waiver. Should pull up info you need
I've done that, and it mostly looks like it's applying to CDL going across state lines, so I wasn't sure if it still applied.

basically, don't tell anyone until DOT asks, tell DOT and then figure out from there what has to happen. I can ask my endo, I think I have an appointment coming up soon anyway.

Thanks for all the help guys, I appreciate it, I can't stop thinking about how to not mess this up!

upschuck

My employee was diagnosed 11 years ago and it is only for the insulin dependent.
Correct, I meant newly diagnosed insulin dependent. If you are not newly insulin diagnosed, should be able to go to doctor to get necessary paperwork to send to the fmcsa.

A type 2 can drive with no extra work, just got to pass pee test at doc.

upschuck

I've done that, and it mostly looks like it's applying to CDL going across state lines, so I wasn't sure if it still applied.

basically, don't tell anyone until DOT asks, tell DOT and then figure out from there what has to happen. I can ask my endo, I think I have an appointment coming up soon anyway.

Thanks for all the help guys, I appreciate it, I can't stop thinking about how to not mess this up!
Can't get the dot card, unless you lie on the medical paperwork, which I suggest not doing.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
I'm confused about that. Don't I need a DOT card to deliver for UPS?

I was diagnosed 13 years ago, I've had good a1c's for the past 5-8 years.
You need the DOT card. I know diabetics who have lied and continue to lie to get the card. I know some that did it legit and worked in the building til they got the card. It takes time because of the government end of things processing your paperwork.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Hey, Just applied and had a successful interview. I have T1 diabetes (Insulin Controlled). With a good A1C. I'm curious if anyone can point me in the right direction to getting the medical exemption. I found a form for CDL drivers, but I'll just be driving a package truck with my regular license. I live in New York if that helps.

I have great doctors, and I'm under control. But I need this job, and I want to streamline it as much as possible. I've read a few forum posts saying you need an exemption, but it also appeared that the state it was referring too was still using class C licenses, NY has gotten rid of Class C, so I'll be using my standard Class D license.

Any insight will be greatly appreciated. My initial road test before integrad is on Monday. Nobody knows I have diabetes yet, I'm also confused as to when I should tell UPS about it.

I'd also love to hear about what the DOT physical is like, what they're testing for. I was told they do a urine test to check for diseases like diabetes and things of that nature.

Thanks for the Help!

I still have a Class C license.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
That changed back in 2005.

"as part of the transportation bill passed by Congress in July 2005, and signed into law by President Bush in August 2005, people who use insulin to treat their diabetes will have an easier time getting an exemption that will allow them to drive trucks and other commercial vehicles in interstate commerce."
One hiccup is as a Package Driver you will be doing intrastate commerce.

Interstate commerce crosses state lines and is within the federal government's authority to regulate if it chooses.
Intrastate commerce is conducted within a state's borders.

bbsam

Staff member

Interstate commerce crosses state lines and is within the federal government's authority to regulate if it chooses.
The federal government has a different idea of what interstate commerce is with respect to delivery companies.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
The first sort I worked on was for NH parcels.
Because back then NH only allowed UPS to do interstate.
Every pickup had to be shipped out of state and returned before delivery could be made.

Richard Cranium

Hey, Just applied and had a successful interview. I have T1 diabetes (Insulin Controlled). With a good A1C. I'm curious if anyone can point me in the right direction to getting the medical exemption. I found a form for CDL drivers, but I'll just be driving a package truck with my regular license. I live in New York if that helps.

I have great doctors, and I'm under control. But I need this job, and I want to streamline it as much as possible. I've read a few forum posts saying you need an exemption, but it also appeared that the state it was referring too was still using class C licenses, NY has gotten rid of Class C, so I'll be using my standard Class D license.

Any insight will be greatly appreciated. My initial road test before integrad is on Monday. Nobody knows I have diabetes yet, I'm also confused as to when I should tell UPS about it.

I'd also love to hear about what the DOT physical is like, what they're testing for. I was told they do a urine test to check for diseases like diabetes and things of that nature.

Thanks for the Help!
Very stressful job unless you can travel upstate everyday. Bring plenty of water and food, snacks and take your breaks as needed.

DOK

That changed back in 2005.

"as part of the transportation bill passed by Congress in July 2005, and signed into law by President Bush in August 2005, people who use insulin to treat their diabetes will have an easier time getting an exemption that will allow them to drive trucks and other commercial vehicles in interstate commerce."

What would it be if your center was in one state but you actually delivered in another state?