Diabetes and Package delivery driver

Indecisi0n

tenor.gif

Maplewood

We have pkg drivers that are diabetic here. They have something called a "waiver". I believe they can drive vehicles up to 26k as long as there diabetes is controlled with oral medication. If you need needles then you can't get a waiver. You really don't need a dot card for vehicles 10k and under. This is WA state.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We have pkg drivers that are diabetic here. They have something called a "waiver". I believe they can drive vehicles up to 26k as long as there diabetes is controlled with oral medication. If you need needles then you can't get a waiver. You really don't need a dot card for vehicles 10k and under. This is WA state.

Used to be they could drive anything smaller than a 700.

iruhnman630

You may want to consider another career choice, instead of investing time into this one only to have it taken away by diabetes later.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
You may want to consider another career choice, instead of investing time into this one only to have it taken away by diabetes later.
Why would it be taken away? Diabetes can be a debilitating disease, but it can also be managed very successfully. We have a driver who doesn’t miss a beat. He monitors his diet, and has an automatic insulin pump.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Hey, Just applied and had a successful interview. I have T1 diabetes (Insulin Controlled). With a good A1C. I'm curious if anyone can point me in the right direction to getting the medical exemption. I found a form for CDL drivers, but I'll just be driving a package truck with my regular license. I live in New York if that helps.

I have great doctors, and I'm under control. But I need this job, and I want to streamline it as much as possible. I've read a few forum posts saying you need an exemption, but it also appeared that the state it was referring too was still using class C licenses, NY has gotten rid of Class C, so I'll be using my standard Class D license.

Any insight will be greatly appreciated. My initial road test before integrad is on Monday. Nobody knows I have diabetes yet, I'm also confused as to when I should tell UPS about it.

I'd also love to hear about what the DOT physical is like, what they're testing for. I was told they do a urine test to check for diseases like diabetes and things of that nature.

Thanks for the Help!
If you do get the DOT waiver, and go through with becoming a package driver, my advice would be to get on FMLA for yourself as soon as everything is squared away. Get it renewed yearly, or as often as possible. That way, if you do have a bad blood sugar day, you can protect your job and yourself from management, and take yourself off road.

upschuck

Oral meds = no waiver, insulin = waiver.

For insulin dependent diabetes:

under 10k, you don't need a dot card
under 26k, you need dot card, but no cdl, + waiver
26k+, you need a cdl + waiver

Big Babooba

I'd also love to hear about what the DOT physical is like, what they're testing for. I was told they do a urine test to check for diseases like diabetes and things of that nature.

Thanks for the Help![/QUOTE]
I once had a DOT exam where the doctor insisted on giving me a prostate exam. He had me bend over, put one hand on my shoulder and proceeded with the exam. To my horror I quickly realized that it wasn't an exam when he put his other hand on my other shoulder and whispered something in my ear that I prefer not to mention on a public forum. SO BEWARE!!!