DIAD 6 Stop List Layout Needs Work - Suggestions / Feedback

None

I've talked to a few drivers and it seems like productivity has gone down a bit with the DIAD 6. Though it has many software problems one of my top complaints is the List View options. Classic Mode isn't classic. It lacks crucial call tag and signature info as does compact mode. But verbose mode wastes space and is inefficient. You have to zig zag your eyes all over the screen to get all the info you need to plan your next 5 stops. I used to be able to scan 5-8 stops before getting back to the truck but now can only do 1-2 and it's too easy to miss details like call tags and signatures. At least once a day I waste a few minutes looking for a package that is actually a call tag or walking away from a stop before realizing I need to go back for a signature.
Because of these frustrations I decided to put my photoshop skills to use and design a new layout. I'm posting it here looking for feedback and suggestions before presenting it to management. My design only uses 3 lines like compact mode instead of the 6 that verbose mode uses so that more stops fit on the page with the exception of using 4 lines when there is a note to display.

I discovered that I could fit more information than even verbose mode in less space if I omitted the city, state and zip. It's very rare to need this info and you can get from Assignment Details when you need it or you'll see it when you put the DIAD into the cradle.

The other major change is putting the address and consignee on the same line with one being abbreviated when it's too long. My idea is that you'll be able to toggle between address first or consignee first by hitting the right arrow button. This design saves so much space and makes the layout much cleaner. Because the consignee can be abbreviated this also allows space for showing the Suite / Apartment numbers.

Next I put the piece count and HIN right under the address making the most frequently needed info all on the left side of the screen so that you can scan the list straight down from top to bottom without having to zigzag your eyes back and forth. I also put call tag and driver follow up icons before the piece count instead of on the bottom line to fix to make sure they are noticed. There's also space to separate the air and ground HINs.

Another improvement is adding buttons at the bottom to speed things up. I also added separate stop icons for residential and commercial and a truck icon that actually looks like a package car for when the system isn't sure if the stop is resi or commercial.

SorryLazyPOS

Big Kahuna Burger
I've talked to a few drivers and it seems like productivity has gone down a bit with the DIAD 6. Though it has many software problems one of my top complaints is the List View options. Classic Mode isn't classic. It lacks crucial call tag and signature info as does compact mode. But verbose mode wastes space and is inefficient. You have to zig zag your eyes all over the screen to get all the info you need to plan your next 5 stops. I used to be able to scan 5-8 stops before getting back to the truck but now can only do 1-2 and it's too easy to miss details like call tags and signatures. At least once a day I waste a few minutes looking for a package that is actually a call tag or walking away from a stop before realizing I need to go back for a signature.
Because of these frustrations I decided to put my photoshop skills to use and design a new layout. I'm posting it here looking for feedback and suggestions before presenting it to management. My design only uses 3 lines like compact mode instead of the 6 that verbose mode uses so that more stops fit on the page with the exception of using 4 lines when there is a note to display.

I discovered that I could fit more information than even verbose mode in less space if I omitted the city, state and zip. It's very rare to need this info and you can get from Assignment Details when you need it or you'll see it when you put the DIAD into the cradle.

The other major change is putting the address and consignee on the same line with one being abbreviated when it's too long. My idea is that you'll be able to toggle between address first or consignee first by hitting the right arrow button. This design saves so much space and makes the layout much cleaner. Because the consignee can be abbreviated this also allows space for showing the Suite / Apartment numbers.

Next I put the piece count and HIN right under the address making the most frequently needed info all on the left side of the screen so that you can scan the list straight down from top to bottom without having to zigzag your eyes back and forth. I also put call tag and driver follow up icons before the piece count instead of on the bottom line to fix to make sure they are noticed. There's also space to separate the air and ground HINs.

Another improvement is adding buttons at the bottom to speed things up. I also added separate stop icons for residential and commercial and a truck icon that actually looks like a package car for when the system isn't sure if the stop is resi or commercial.
By the time they improve this board they’ll want to get new boards.

Cowboy Mac

You’re wasting your time trying to help management fix a problem they don’t want to fix.

“The DIAD 6 is a perfect piece of technology. The real reason why we have so much over allowed is because of all the lazy drivers out there stealing time. If we just put more pressure on them, we can get the results we want.”
—Every ORS

One day at a time

Diad 6 is complete garbage. Conceived by a committee that never delivered a package. Any updates is throwing good money after bad. What a turd it’s hard to believe it happened.

DriverNerd

I like your idea but compact fits 9 stops per page, not 8 (though I wish it were closer to 7 with slightly larger font). You should put the total number of packages in the upper right corner of each stop. It's a little too busy in each box, things like gate code and other notes should be buried in the stop I think just to clean it up. Personally I don't think we need to know if the package has a release location or AP eligible on the main screen. Just more icons to muddy things. And UPS isn't going to fix it, because they don't care about us.

None

I like your idea but compact fits 9 stops per page, not 8 (though I wish it were closer to 7 with slightly larger font). You should put the total number of packages in the upper right corner of each stop. It's a little too busy in each box, things like gate code and other notes should be buried in the stop I think just to clean it up. Personally I don't think we need to know if the package has a release location or AP eligible on the main screen. Just more icons to muddy things. And UPS isn't going to fix it, because they don't care about us.
Putting the piece count in the upper right is how it already is and it takes too much time to move your eyes all the way to the right. With this design your eyes move straight down the list.
I can understand your argument to leave the notes off but do you really have time to go into Assignment details to check the note while walking back from the prior stop and do you even notice there is a note? Don’t you want to know before you scan the package if there is a dog to worry about?

None

You’re wasting your time trying to help management fix a problem they don’t want to fix.

“The DIAD 6 is a perfect piece of technology. The real reason why we have so much over allowed is because of all the lazy drivers out there stealing time. If we just put more pressure on them, we can get the results we want.”
—Every ORS
Not trying to help management I’m trying to help myself. This is design would probably save me about 10 minutes a day and get me home that much quicker.

DriverNerd

Putting the piece count in the upper right is how it already is and it takes too much time to move your eyes all the way to the right. With this design your eyes move straight down the list.
I can understand your argument to leave the notes off but do you really have time to go into Assignment details to check the note while walking back from the prior stop and do you even notice there is a note? Don’t you want to know before you scan the package if there is a dog to worry about?
I like that you have the piece count separated too, but I still think the total should be in the upper right. It doesn't take too much time, it's only three inches apart.

Notes are rare and dogs are rare. If you start scanning as soon as you leave the truck you'll know well before you get to the door. I don't check notes ahead of time. I like the info you have given it's just a busy looking screen. I would prefer it slightly larger font with slightly less info (easier to read). That may be my older eyes that's doing the complaining though.

None

I like that you have the piece count separated too, but I still think the total should be in the upper right. It doesn't take too much time, it's only three inches apart.

Notes are rare and dogs are rare. If you start scanning as soon as you leave the truck you'll know well before you get to the door. I don't check notes ahead of time. I like the info you have given it's just a busy looking screen. I would prefer it slightly larger font with slightly less info (easier to read). That may be my older eyes that's doing the complaining though.
The other benefit of putting the piece count on the next line is that there’s room to show both the ground HIN and the air HIN. Sounds like you would prefer the Classic view. We need that too but it needs to look exactly like the old version with Call tag and Signature info at the beginning.
Yes notes are rare but it can be programmed to only add a line if there is a note to save space. And what about the pickup note? Need to know where you are parking beforehand.

FozziesDeliveries

I like it but it is very busy. Just having the note icon is good instead of the full note on that screen because then, like the diad 5, you know there is a note before driving to a stop and then can check it. Some older drivers have complained about having a hard time reading it as is, if its too busy it wouldn't help that. I personally love bouncing between classic view and the map mode all day. Classic sucks because there are NO icons, but in map view the next selected stop will show everything. I hate when navigation starts how if the name is too long it wraps around instead of cutting off and then it collides with the package count.

Displaying the unit numbers is a nice touch.

DriverNerd

The other benefit of putting the piece count on the next line is that there’s room to show both the ground HIN and the air HIN. Sounds like you would prefer the Classic view. We need that too but it needs to look exactly like the old version with Call tag and Signature info at the beginning.
Yes notes are rare but it can be programmed to only add a line if there is a note to save space. And what about the pickup note? Need to know where you are parking beforehand.
I think you're taking my notes too personal. I think you've made some definite improvements to the existing layout. You'll never get everyone to like what you put together. People all have different wants and you can't make everyone happy. When I said I wanted the piece count in the corner like we do now I also meant that the way you separated them on the next line should stay. I like both and would prefer both. Then you can use both to your benefit. I also don't think we need to 0+0 layout in the corner if it's separated on the next line.

Automaton

Regarding the signature required pkgs, I wish they would bring back the unique audible cue when you scan them. That was a really helpful feature, and it seems like that would be easy to do.

no more than 9

"Livin' the Dream"

Who cares?

Cowboy Mac

Not trying to help management I’m trying to help myself. This is design would probably save me about 10 minutes a day and get me home that much quicker.
So you will lose 10 minutes of pay per day. At top rate driver pay (straight time) that is $7/day. About $200/month or $2500/year. How many hours have you put into this off the clock project?

And if this saves UPS $2500 per driver per year, how much of that money are they giving you for doing this?

no_map_needed

Knowledge is key, Experience is power.
The diad is costing the company 1.5 hours per day on almost every route here so I don't give a rats ass anymore. They could add animations or whatever input they got from a pvd or seasonal when they made this pos.

None

So you will lose 10 minutes of pay per day. At top rate driver pay (straight time) that is $7/day. About $200/month or $2500/year. How many hours have you put into this off the clock project?

And if this saves UPS $2500 per driver per year, how much of that money are they giving you for doing this?
I need to get home in time to make dinner for my son so that he's not eating so late that it is disrupting his sleep causing him to sleep through classes. This isn't about pay or aggregate time spent vs saved it is about day to day quality of life. I want those 10 minutes.
Why are so many drivers willing to work long hours just for money? I would love to only work 8 hours and have energy and time to enjoy life even if I have to budget better to do it.

Cowboy Mac

I need to get home in time to make dinner for my son so that he's not eating so late that it is disrupting his sleep causing him to sleep through classes. This isn't about pay or aggregate time spent vs saved it is about day to day quality of life. I want those 10 minutes.
Why are so many drivers willing to work long hours just for money? I would love to only work 8 hours and have energy and time to enjoy life even if I have to budget better to do it.
I wouldn’t mind working 8 hours a day in package. But if you work for free in order to get home early, that’s not an 8 hour day anymore.

All that time you are spending trying to fix the DIAD that UPS broke, and all the time you are wasting creating an update that UPS will never use, you could have been spending with your family.

All they have to do is adjust our dispatch to get us home earlier, but they refuse to do that.

pkgdriver

THE DIAD 6 has been out for almost 2 3/4 years. They dont care about your quality of life. Go on to upsers and email your Division Manager and District Manager. Dont think many regions or districts have an ops manager in the hierarchy anymore.
Bala Subramanian is the new Chief Digitial and Technology officer. Drop him a note also. Let us know the results.
And people laughed at Frederick Smiths Zapmail years ago.